The MT-07 Forum

Steering Will Not Lock

jesuisnate

Hi all,

Just got my FZ-07 and everything's going great (so far), but for the life of me I cannot get my steering to lock. The handlebars are completely leftwards as I try to push the key in the ignition from OFF to LOCK, but the key will not travel further than midway between the two. If I force it any further I feel like I'm going to snap the key.

I was able to get the steering to lock once when I'd first got the bike, but never since. Am I doing something wrong?

I find that the handle bars don't go all the way to the left. Just almost all the way, but like hondanikle said wiggle them helps too.

• 10 months later...

I had a moment of "DERP" the other day. I couldn't open the rear door to put groceries away, done a 100 times before no problem. Stood there hitting the button and pulling on the handle how many times? Then it dawned on me to hit the button twice instead of once and voila! I quickly looked around to check if anyone had watched the Amazing Monkey Boy side show and I was lucky no one had but I still couldn't escape my own embarrassment. Mental note: Lock once .... open twice, derrr!  ;-|

Beemer

This happened to me the day I got the bike. Rode home from the dealership and couldn't lock the handlebar. I was so angry and sad. Kept trying to lock after every few hours. Nothing. I then nearly bent my keys trying to rotate the key too hard. I gave up. Then at night, I went to put my bike in the garage and by accident I just wiggled the handlebar and it locked. Felt like a fool.

• 2 weeks later...

The 1st time I tried to lock the forks on that old R90/6 BMW in my avatar, the key broke off in the lock as if it was made of butter. Thankfully, it broke off in the unlocked position.

I swear it was the key's fault, lol.

My Aprilia's forks have to be at full left to work the lock. The FZ's, as noted, cannot be.

Archived