The MT-07 Forum

Longest ride? issues?

thestache

Just trying to research bike comfort.

What's the longest ride you have taken?

How old are you?(why did I ask, cuz I am 48, so things can be more uncomfortable at my age...holy crap that made me sound ancient :)

Any vibrations at highway speed?(my old cruiser V-twin used to shake me to death :) :) )

What is wind buffeting like?

• Global Moderator

I've done about 800 miles on the bike so far but only stints of about 150 miles at a time.

I'm surprised how easy it is to rack up the miles on it. The seat gets uncomfortable after a while, but I can't really complain to much. And from experience I know that it gets better once your butt gets used to the seat or visa versa.

Wind doesn't bother me but maybe because I am used to riding a naked bike. It is not worse then anything else I've ridden in the past. I really depends on speed.
And I can't see I notice much vibration. At lower speed maybe a bit, but for 2 twin it's amazingly vibration free. Mirrors don't distort at all.
Oh, and I'm 50. (zzz)

I think jmosquera is the long distance king for now. He rode 1225 miles picking his bike up   :o

His thread is here

ive put in two 100 mile jaunts so far and i really cant find too much to nit pick about. im 39. the seat has a nice sweet spot when you get settled in. like guru said, wind..well its a naked bike so there is a little bit but thats part of the allure of riding to me. vibration factor is minimal. the only issue i have had is the chain slack. it a little saggy and after 200 or so miles it is kind of sudden for a chain to stretch that much. not a huge deal, just something to keep an eye on. overall, im in love with this bike.

• Global Moderator

Yes, mine had quite some chain slack when it went for the first service too. They adjusted it and now it is perfect and it seems to stay that way. I guess the new OEM chains just stretch a bit when settling on the bike.

good to know guru. i called my dealer. he is going to re adjust it for me just to make sure everything is sound. peace of mind, twist of wrist. yeahaw!

Did a 470 km (around 300 miles) yesterday. At normal highway speed, i didn't find that the wind is a problem. Mirrors don't become blurred. No vibration issue. But at higher speeds, there's some wind blasting and i can feel some vibration trough the seat. The seat, Ha, the seat. >:D.  Usually after one hour, the seat reminds me of a 2 x 4. But for this escapade, i cut a piece from a camping mattress, 12'' wide by 9'' long and only 0.5'' thick. What a relief. I could ride 1,5 hour in a row with NO discomfort at all. 8-)

10 years ago, i swore to myself to never buy a naked bike. I was riding faired bike at this time. I'm 44 now. I don't do long trips anymore and i'm less speed addicted. :D Love the agility of this naked bike.

As Guru said, with time you become used to the seat or the seat get used to you. :P I can confirm that. The first weeks of ownership of a WR250X was a pain in the butt, seat wise. But after that 1 could ride 2 hours in a row with no problem. So before getting a new seat or a Airhawk or saddlement pad, i'd like to let time do his thing.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

Did a 470 km (around 300 miles) yesterday. At normal highway speed, i didn't find that the wind is a problem. Mirrors don't become blurred. No vibration issue. But at higher speeds, there's some wind blasting and i can feel some vibration trough the seat. The seat, Ha, the seat. >:D.  Usually after one hour, the seat reminds me of a 2 x 4. But for this escapade, i cut a piece from a camping mattress, 12'' wide by 9'' long and only 0.5'' thick. What a relief. I could ride 1,5 hour in a row with NO discomfort at all. 8-) 
10 years ago, i swore to myself to never buy a naked bike. I was ridinf faired bike at this time. I'm 44 now. I don't do long trips anymore and i'm less speed addicted. :D Love the agility of this naked bike.

As Guru sais, with time you become used to the seat or the seat get used to you. :P I can confirm that. The first weeks of ownership of a WR250X was a pain in the butt, seat wise. But after that 1 could ride 2 hours in a row with no problem. So before getting a new seat or a Airhawk or saddlement pad, i'd like to let time do his thing.

Thanks a bunch Lonerider, at 48, I feel a lot like you do for the same reasons...you answered ALL my concerns as Yamaha is known for their uncomfortable seats on their Star bikes. Also, I had removed the windscreen from my Star and the wind didn't bother me to much. Normally I might do a 100mi ride on a weekend, but that doesn't happen all the time. 
Plus I want a bike that if I decide I want to just run a couple of errands, is easy to go start up, get ready, and go.

Did about a 50 miles the night I picked mine up and had some pain from sitting on my wallet, but wind I knew what I was getting in to with the naked after riding fairing bikes living on gulf coast of Florida its always kinda windy here being so close to the ocean but nothing I can't deal with I'm 31 6'0" 220

• 2 weeks later...

I received my Saddlemen gel pad a few days ago. Tried it 2 times. It feels awkward for the first minutes. I got the feeling that i was sitting on a firm marshmallow. The pad doesn't move but i felt like a subtil movement allowed by the gel. I get used to it. Even in sport riding, the awkward feeling was gone.

Well, just coming back from a 2 hours ride without the gel pad. I have to say that my relationship with the stock seat is becoming nicer. I'll used the seat pad just for long rides.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

Archived