The MT-07 Forum

Supermoto Origins

w1ngzer0

• Global Moderator

Had a lot of bikes, the last one being a WR250X. Awesome bike. But I don't really miss it. The FZ is so much more.

IMG_1910.JPG

I also started with a wr250x. Sweet bike and I do regret selling it. I don't regret buying the fz07 tho. Wish I coulda kept both. My 250 had pretty much every aftermarket part you could get besides the turbo kit lol. I'll definitely buy another when the FZ is paid off.

I started out borrowing a friend's DRZ400SM, then bought myself a streeted XR650L that was more of a hacked together scrambler sort of thing. It had clip ons when I first got it! CLIP ONS!

Did a few things to it to bring it back to normal reality, then sold it for the FZ. Not a regret in the world. However, I'd love to have an SM in the stable again in the future.

'15 FZ-07
'93 Honda XR650L (supermoto/pig) (SOLD)

I didn't start riding on a motard (they came a couple of decades later), but I have owned two of them:
The first one was a 2009 DR-Z400SM bought new in October of 2008.Not a bad bike at all as I thought it was a fun little sport bike.However, I started doing the majority of the mods that lots of these bikes get (440cc big bore kit, FCR37 carburetor, a real front brake setup, Hot Cams camshafts, IMS plastic fuel tank, Michelin Pilot Power tires...I can't even remember them all, now), easily dumping a couple thousand dollars into it.When I stopped spending money on it, I had a fun bike that was a bit more fun.Then, the following October (one year ownership), I decided to sell it.Strangely, I didn't miss it, so I guess I had my fun with it.
dr-z400smk9007.jpg
The second one was a 2008 WR250X bought used in December of 2010.This bike got the typical WR250X mods, too, although I didn't spend as much doing it.Turned out to be another fun sport bike, although I rode this one for not quite a year.
042411wr-250xxmegabomb002.jpg

I got almost everything, except a big bore kit. I'll probably get another one in the future. The fz07 will definitely hold me off in the meantime. Has anyone every caught yourself riding towards the front of the tank and almost throwing a leg out by accident on our fz07? Wondering if it was just me....

I had DRZ400SM, sold it for husqvarna TE450 plated dirt bike. When in the woods its like riding a ballistic missile through the trees, but on the street its like riding a paint shaker in a hurricane. If you like your sumo you should try a full on dirt bike, I think they are more fun with out the street stress of cops, other drivers, etc.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

These are beautiful bikes! I'm starting to get interested in them because we recently watched Dust to Glory and riding like that looked like a ton of fun!

Illegitimi non carborundum

These  bikes are a tall order to ride. Towering 34.5 inches for ride height and up. Don't want to mess with the suspension geometry. Might just get one anyways...

Had a WR250X as well, I absolutely regret selling it. I go through periods where I don't have the desire to ride, it was just sitting around. When I tire of the FZ, I'll get another tard, what a blast they are.

I too had a wr250x 818613302c4b291985f3938983a1baa5.jpg.
c355dea166861f0c37bd761ea2b02013.jpg
09b9718d77efe2c2141d0c6c8f8618db.jpg
c92a3ac194495ff89ff9a175e9063204.jpg
Loved it, had a thumper racing 280 big bore kit in it, a custom set of cams, zero smog $hit, custom air box.
Suspension was valved for my weight, I could go on and on.
But sadly a rock hit my water pump cover, cracking it without my knowledge. It over heated, blew a head gasket, and it was never the same again. Plus I had 30k miles on it. I was lucky to get a small trade in for it. I will eventually get another sumo, they are to much fun to not have one. Braaap!

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

Archived