The MT-07 Forum

Anyone buy a bike without riding it first?

mjh937

I typically buy without a test ride because I usually get the bug when it is zero degrees F outside with snow on the roads.
Sitting on the bike allows foot peg, seat height and handlebar reach impressions and the reveiws are usually accurate about driveline snatch, fuel injection issues, braking and handling.

Most of the suspension complaints are nonsense, in my opinion, since most riders don't know how to set sag, preload, compression and rebound anyway.

My ST1300 was perfect from the factory for my weight and skill level and the few miles I have put on the FZ07 feel pretty good too. Any basic suspension can be adjusted for spring preload by making appropriate spacers or buying fork caps with adjusters used for other bikes and fork oil weight and volume can adjust for damping and dive.
Most handling deficiencies are hammer fisted riding deficiencies in my opinion. Smooth control minimizes a lot of suspension excuses. IMHO.

Sounds like you know your stuff. Great post.

I typically buy without a test ride because I usually get the bug when it is zero degrees F outside with snow on the roads. Sitting on the bike allows foot peg, seat height and handlebar reach impressions and the reveiws are usually accurate about driveline snatch, fuel injection issues, braking and handling.

Most of the suspension complaints are nonsense, in my opinion, since most riders don't know how to set sag, preload, compression and rebound anyway.

My ST1300 was perfect from the factory for my weight and skill level and the few miles I have put on the FZ07 feel pretty good too. Any basic suspension can be adjusted for spring preload by making appropriate spacers or buying fork caps with adjusters used for other bikes and fork oil weight and volume can adjust for damping and dive.
Most handling deficiencies are hammer fisted riding deficiencies in my opinion. Smooth control minimizes a lot of suspension excuses. IMHO.

Archived