The MT-07 Forum

Wet vs Dry torque values

ericpev

• Premium Member

Are torque vales in the owners manual referring to tightening with some kind of lubricant (oil, loctite) or nothing at all? Thanks

They will be dry, unless oil is called for by the picture of the little oil can. In the center of the oil can is a letter designating the type of lube to use. If you have a manual go to page 2-14 and look at the far right column under remarks.
ba1440641de7e0dcd5093d946aac469c.jpg

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

• Premium Member

Is that in the service manual or in the owners manual as well? I Don't have a service one but a list of values like that would be handy

It is the service manual, there are three pages of torque values. Most chassis bolts are dry. When you get into the engine it's a different story.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

• Premium Member

Thanks Ryan. Actually just bought an eBay version of the manual so all my problems should be solved haha

You bought an eBay version of the service manual? Or you bought a Yamaha Service Manual on eBay?

A lot of numbers in the cheaper manuals can, and usually are, wrong... so I'm hoping that's not the route you took.

• Premium Member

Hahaha sorry. I bought a manual off of eBay. Coming from the UK as an MT-07 manual. Exactly the same right?

Should be. I'll bet that all the specs are in metric units though, instead of ft-lbs. And there are a few minor differences here and there between the two, nothing major though.

I'm a pretty fanatical fan of using antiseize on hardware exposed to the elements - meaning pretty much everything on a bike. Where there's a torque figure involved, I'll usually decrease that number by 25% when I've added either copper or aluminum goo to the threads. If that sounds like I've made a bolt too loose, I've seen recommendations for using as much as 40% less than the dry torque number.

The back wheel to my Aprilia is held on with one great big nut (22mm internal hex) with a large flange (2.5-3"). The threads are to be lightly lubed and the flange is left dry. Get out the big tools. It's put on with 125 ft-lbs. I'd guess it takes closer to 175-200 ft-lbs to break it free. It's only a guess cause I use a 3ft long pipe on a 3/4" bar

Archived