The MT-07 Forum

Hi from Tasmania, Australia

michelle33

Hello. I currently ride a Honda VTR250. Researching my next bike, and the MT-07 ison top of the list. We only get a restricted 655cc version here in Aust. But being a short female the lightness of the MT 07 is appealing.

• Premium Member

Well, at least they only restricted 45cc so it shouldn't be a huge difference.

Welcome to the forums! Do they offer any sort of demo days for buyers in Australia?

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Welcome!  I live in the States and even though the MT-07 is LAMS restricted, it appears it still has plenty of power and torque to keep you happy :).  As you may know this bike is light and the seat height works for tall and shorter riders.  However, take one out for a test ride or at least sit on one to see if it works for you.  Good luck with your search.

• Global Moderator

How do they change the displacement? I assume they are using the same engine and changing something internally (piston rods maybe). Why do they have to restrict it?

• Global Moderator

Oops. I forgot to say welcome to the forum :).

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome michelle33! Yay, another lady rider! The 07 is very light and very nimble, I'm sure you would love it.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker
How do they change the displacement? I assume they are using the same engine and changing something internally (piston rods maybe). Why do they have to restrict it?
mjh937,Check out this link, they mention using cylinder sleeves to reduce engine size and a throttle restrictor to keep the power down to 52hp for LAMS.  http://www.bikepoint.com.au/content/reviews/2014/road/yamaha/mt-07/launch-yamaha-mt-07-46227 

Hi - thanks all. Yes, it has cylinder sleeves to reduce it to 655cc, and a throttle restrictor. Keeps the power/weight ratio down to fit it into our LAMS (Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme) list. I don't believe it will make a difference to me, as I want torque not top end speed. I am not sure if Yamaha will bring the full power version into Australia, but doubt it. Our local dealer did have a demo day recently which included the MT-07, and I did sit on it briefly and it did feel ok, I will need to have it lowered to get my feet on the ground. I did not ride it for that reason - was only tippy toe and did not want to land their nice shiny bike on the ground if I had a whoopsy. I had not considered this bike before seeing it at the demo day, it really caught my eye.
Watch this space - the only other bike which comes into my 'list' is the Kawasaki Vulcan S - BUT it is a cruiser with forward controls which I don't like the idea of. But it was so easy to get up off the side stand, even though it weighs over 200kg. I was almost flat footed without bike boots on. The Ninja 650 was too heavy, did not feel confident on it at all.

• Global Moderator

Hey @michelle33, great to have you here. All the way from Tasmania, very cool. Be sure to post some pictures. You were going to love the 07. Light and torquey !

potatochips

You don't need to be flat footed, whatever makes you comfortable. That is awesome you're from Tasmania, welcome.

If I were a mod, this would be your avatar:

22228BP.jpg

Archived