The MT-07 Forum

Akrapovic Titanium W or W/O DB Killer? (Don't Mind Loudness)

Allan

• Premium Member

Well, I got home from work today and was trying to decide whether or not to install my exhaust. 60 degrees, and 1.5 hours of sunlight left.
I grabbed a beer, and decided "What the the hell... Let's do this thing!" So I remembered that I had seen a good video of how to remove and install a Yosh exhaust by

I watched it, and it definitely had some valuable info (although, stop before you remove the stock exhaust mount bushings when doing the Akra Ti). The hardest part was getting the header gaskets to stay in position when installing the new headers.  They fall out if you put then into the header sockets, and they fall off the flat surface of the header pipes when trying to put them in. Fortunately, I had some high temp gasket silicone that I put a thin coat of onto the header side of the gasket, and could get it to stay in place during insertion.  Well, overall, it was a very  easy install, and the Akra directions and installation materials are top notch (they even supply a tube of anti-sieze for the sensor, and thread locker for the main mount).  Well, I got it installed and got to take it for a test ride just before dark.  I love the sound, but it is definitely on the mild side from the drivers seat. I like it! 

Why can't left turners see us?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

Well, I've got about 200 miles on the new exhaust now since the install, and I really have no desire to remove the DB killer. The bike seems to be running like magic (could be some placebo effect), but the performance seems better to me. The gas mileage has gone up a few mpg, and the sound is fantastic. A much deeper tone (no longer riding a lawn mower). I can cruise at any RPM and hear myself think, and twist the throttle and hear (and feel) some grunt. Plus, I love the look. A 5 lbs weight savings is just a bonus (stock: 15.8 lbs, Akra: 10.8 lbs). If you like it loud thought, you will probably have to pull the DB killer or go with the Yosh, or Two Bros, or...

I just put mine on today without the DB killer and I LOVE the sound. It started raining so I couldn't take it around for a spin but I have a feeling I am going to like it without the DB killer in.

Post up a vid panzer ... plus, do you think you'd be able to put the db killer back in or is it too damaged from removal?

Current ride = 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom

• Premium Member
snowdriftless
I have Akra exhaust and funny thing is I read about the fuel controller on this site so was prepared to get one cuz I planned to remove my baffles. Then I spoke to the mechanic at local dealership and he explained that the MT runs richer than the FZ ( no smog/emissions check in Australia) so he recommended not using a fuel controller. So far it's been fine. I guess the richer mix helps make up for the smaller displacement 655cc on the MT.
I've read that the Australia version gets the CC's bumped down to 655. Why is that? I've been wondering?
Probably has something to do with LAMS (Learner Accredited Motorcycle Scheme). Like A2 licensing in the Euro area (UK?). Learners can only get motorcycles with so much horsepower.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

I believe they all have the baffle in shipped.

Current ride = 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom

• 1 month later...
I just put mine on today without the DB killer and I LOVE the sound. It started raining so I couldn't take it around for a spin but I have a feeling I am going to like it without the DB killer in.

Allan. Do you still like the Akra To without the DB killer?

Well, I've got about 200 miles on the new exhaust now since the install, and I really have no desire to remove the DB killer. The bike seems to be running like magic (could be some placebo effect), but the performance seems better to me. The gas mileage has gone up a few mpg, and the sound is fantastic. A much deeper tone (no longer riding a lawn mower). I can cruise at any RPM and hear myself think, and twist the throttle and hear (and feel) some grunt. Plus, I love the look. A 5 lbs weight savings is just a bonus (stock: 15.8 lbs, Akra: 10.8 lbs). If you like it loud thought, you will probably have to pull the DB killer or go with the Yosh, or Two Bros, or...

Rowdy, do you still like the Akra Ti with the DB killer in?

I do. I absolutely love the sound and the exhaust. I will say though, on longer rides, like over an hour and a half, I do wish it were a little quieter, but I don't go on long rides that often so it doesn't really bother me. The exhaust turns a lot of heads though. I have people constantly complimenting me saying that it sounds so good. It also gets people's attention that are either not looking when they cross the street, or are doing something stupid (like texting) behind the wheel. I just was out today actually, and I love blipping the throttle to rev match and hearing that sound. I have absolutely no regrets with this pipe without the DB killer. If you are doing a lot of long rides though, you may want to keep it in or wear ear plugs.

I do. I absolutely love the sound and the exhaust. I will say though, on longer rides, like over an hour and a half, I do wish it were a little quieter, but I don't go on long rides that often so it doesn't really bother me. The exhaust turns a lot of heads though. I have people constantly complimenting me saying that it sounds so good. It also gets people's attention that are either not looking when they cross the street, or are doing something stupid (like texting) behind the wheel. I just was out today actually, and I love blipping the throttle to rev match and hearing that sound. I have absolutely no regrets with this pipe without the DB killer. If you are doing a lot of long rides though, you may want to keep it in or wear ear plugs.
Is it anything similar to this? 

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=yout+ube+fz07+akropivic+exhaust&FORM=HDRSC3#view=detail&mid=25276C85C6FED7DA843F25276C85C6FED7DA843F

Is it anything similar to this? 
Well, I have to say, videos do this exhaust little justice. It is truly one of those things you just absolutely need to hear in person to really understand what it is like. You need to feel the vibrations go through you when you crack the throttle. You need to feel the pressure of the exhaust pluses in your ears. If you have any opportunity to go hear on in person, I would jump on it because you can't get an actual sense of it through a video. That being said, that particular video was one of the videos that made me fall in love with this exhaust. Once I bought it and put it on though, I realized it sounds 1000 times better. No joke. I get happy whenever I start my bike up.

That video does a very good job on relaying the sound as best you can through a video. It's the video that made me say "hell yes, I want this exhaust"

Mine is without DB killer installed. I don't find it too loud, but I ride with earplugs unless I'll be riding for less than 5-10 minutes and with no freeway riding

• 4 months later...

Loving mine. Have the baffle removed also. Just curious where can one
Get a replacement baffle?! ( maybe for long rides)

Allan. Are you running it with a cat?

Honda Grom
CB 350

• Premium Member

Yes you can buy a replacement baffle from revzilla. 50 bucks.
You can find part number in the manual with the exploded view of all the different parts.

Does the akra carbon come shipped with the baffle pre-installed
Mine came with the db killer installed and I left mine in. To address the need for removing the db killer, the pipe is almost identical in how loud it sounds with or w/o the db killer. Yeah, w/o it's slightly louder but it's plenty loud with the db killer in so why bother with removing them? If they both can be easily heard 100 yards away why the need? Just leave it in and stop worrying about it hurting your engine. 

Beemer

• Premium Member

I still have my db killer in my Ti exhaust and I still love the sound. Not too loud, but I don't wear ear plugs, and I've had loud exhausts in the past that just got irritating on long rides.

Yes you can buy a replacement baffle from revzilla. 50 bucks. You can find part number in the manual with the exploded view of all the different parts.

Thanks, I hope I can find my manual. Maybe it's printed on the baffle somewhere?

Honda Grom
CB 350

• Premium Member

Google can probably find the part number in just a few minutes. Think I got it from the revzilla online manual.

I got my exhaust today (Akrapovic Ti), and it looks awesome!  The welds and attention to detail seem top notch. I won't be able to install it till this weekend at the earliest, but I've already done thing 1 - Take of the decals. :)
I also weighed it for reference, and it is 10.8 lbs (4900g) which includes exhaust 7.4lbs (3360g), header 3lbs (1360g), and  mounting bracket 0.4lbs (180g).
Here's a pic of the de-stickerised exhaust:

2015-03-11%2019.14.50.jpg?dl=0

10.8 lbs is lighter than what I came up with. Akra says on their website it drops 1.6 Kg (3.5274 lbs) and the stock exhaust weighs 18.2 lbs according to one website and 7.2 Kg (15.87 lbs) on another website. That gives us a couple different answers LOL. The lighter the better though! 
d5c39f57-59c4-41a4-b04f-036c853f2a64_zpse3f79d78.jpg

Loving mine. Have the baffle removed also. Just curious where can one Get a replacement baffle?! ( maybe for long rides)

Allan. Are you running it with a cat?
I don't have the cat. It was $100 extra to get the cat and I didn't feel like paying that. Lol

• Premium Member
I got my exhaust today (Akrapovic Ti), and it looks awesome!  The welds and attention to detail seem top notch. I won't be able to install it till this weekend at the earliest, but I've already done thing 1 - Take of the decals. :)
I also weighed it for reference, and it is 10.8 lbs (4900g) which includes exhaust 7.4lbs (3360g), header 3lbs (1360g), and  mounting bracket 0.4lbs (180g).
Here's a pic of the de-stickerised exhaust:

2015-03-11%2019.14.50.jpg?dl=0

10.8 lbs is lighter than what I came up with. Akra says on their website it drops 1.6 Kg (3.5274 lbs) and the stock exhaust weighs 18.2 lbs according to one website and 7.2 Kg (15.87 lbs) on another website. That gives us a couple different answers LOL. The lighter the better though!
So... I don't think I posted the second part of that quote attributed to me.  I came up with 10.8 as measured, and I'm not really sure how it's relevant to this thread. ??? 

@Rowdy,

Sorry about the typo. My comments were accidentally entered into your quote. It has been fixed.

You shared what you found about the weight of the exhaust and I noticed it was different from what other websites had said.
I'm not saying your wrong by any means; simply noting that various sites have different weights.

d5c39f57-59c4-41a4-b04f-036c853f2a64_zpse3f79d78.jpg

I am curious,does a fella need to buy a power commander to run one without the db killer? I keep seeing people talking needing one, but how mandatory is it?

Archived