The MT-07 Forum

Akrapovic Titanium W or W/O DB Killer? (Don't Mind Loudness)

Allan

• Premium Member
I got my exhaust today (Akrapovic Ti), and it looks awesome!  The welds and attention to detail seem top notch. I won't be able to install it till this weekend at the earliest, but I've already done thing 1 - Take of the decals. :)
I also weighed it for reference, and it is 10.8 lbs (4900g) which includes exhaust 7.4lbs (3360g), header 3lbs (1360g), and  mounting bracket 0.4lbs (180g).
Here's a pic of the de-stickerised exhaust:

2015-03-11%2019.14.50.jpg?dl=0

10.8 lbs is lighter than what I came up with. Akra says on their website it drops 1.6 Kg (3.5274 lbs) and the stock exhaust weighs 18.2 lbs according to one website and 7.2 Kg (15.87 lbs) on another website. That gives us a couple different answers LOL. The lighter the better though!
I also weighed the stock exhaust after I pulled it off and it was 15.8 lbs, so, on my bike, I know it was a true 5 lbs weight loss. ;) 

Why can't left turners see us?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am curious,does a fella need to buy a power commander to run one without the db killer? I keep seeing people talking needing one, but how mandatory is it?
Same question as the guy above. Also, if I remove the db killer, is it easy to put back in if i change my mind? 
im torn between this exhaust, the twobrothers, or the yoshi

@roadrunner,

This bike runs lean in stock form to meet EPA emissions regulations. Adding an exhaust will lean it out further and removing the DB killer leans it out even further from there.
If you want to get the most out of your exhaust, I would recommend addressing the fueling. Your bike will run

We offer Stage 1 packages on the forum that include your choice of exhaust and our EJK fuel solution. Each exhaust we offer has been tested on our Axis Dyno to find optimal EJK settings.
Check out our Supporting Vendor section for pricing and exhaust options. We can also provide the exhaust only if that is what you would like.

-TuningHQ

d5c39f57-59c4-41a4-b04f-036c853f2a64_zpse3f79d78.jpg

@tuninghq can that device tell if the throttle body needs adjusting? I'm still left wondering if the dealership screwed up.

And sorry for hijacking the thread lol ????

@Roadrunner,

What makes you think the dealer screwed up the throttle bodies? What is the bike doing?

-TuningHQ

Sorry if this isn't the right thread, but did some R&D with baffle and no baffle. With ECU flash and it ran great with out DB killer w/ ECU flash, but better when I disconnected the 02 sensor. Now it runs even better with DB killer back in. Soon much more torque and still enough deep rumble without the annoying loud pulsing I got in my helmet.. I did modify my DB killer a little. Grind it down, sanded it to make it easier to put back in and also drilled 4 3/8 holes in the inner tubes. I am a happy camper now.

Honda Grom
CB 350

Sorry if this isn't the right thread, but did some R&D with baffle and no baffle. With ECU flash and it ran great with out DB killer w/ ECU flash, but better when I disconnected the 02 sensor. Now it runs even better with DB killer back in. Soon much more torque and still enough deep rumble without the annoying loud pulsing I got in my helmet.. I did modify my DB killer a little. Grind it down, sanded it to make it easier to put back in and also drilled 4 3/8 holes in the inner tubes. I am a happy camper now.
Explain?  I work too much to be up on all the necessary things, but what is the purpose of the ecu flash? And the drilling of holes etc? I would hate to spend  $950 and drill a bunch of holes in it.

Explain?  I work too much to be up on all the necessary things, but what is the purpose of the ecu flash? And the drilling of holes etc? I would hate to spend  $950 and drill a bunch of holes in it.

Lol. Yeah, I get your stress on tapping into such an expensive exhaust, but I drilled holes in the inner tube of the baffle. Can't see them. It didn't change the level of loudness, but gave it a nice deeper tone. ( merely just for tone) The ECU flash is another option for tuning our bikes without having to dial in your own settings, plus it can do more. Look up 2WheelDynoWorks on the forum and there's tons of info that can explain it better then I can. The ECU flash, EJK, PCV are all great options IMO.

Honda Grom
CB 350

Lol. Yeah, I get your stress on tapping into such an expensive exhaust, but I drilled holes in the inner tube of the baffle. Can't see them. It didn't change the level of loudness, but gave it a nice deeper tone. ( merely just for tone) The ECU flash is another option for tuning our bikes without having to dial in your own settings, plus it can do more. Look up 2WheelDynoWorks on the forum and there's tons of info that can explain it better then I can. The ECU flash, EJK, PCV are all great options IMO.
I gotcha now. I wasn't sure if the flash was something that yamaha was recommending be done like they had with the 09. I am pretty sure I read that someone else had also kind of sanded or ground down the DB killer a little to make it easier to put in and out and that it also had changed the sound up some.  Thanks for your help.

Holy crap.

I just installed my akra titanium with baffle removed. And the sound is insane.

But as much as I love it, I really don't know if I can keep riding with it out. It's quite loud, and I'm not sure if I want that much attention. I mean, if it were just me out in the country by myself, I would absolutely love it. But riding in an urban environment is kind of high-anxiety. All I could keep thinking was "god I hope I'm not pissing all these people off..." I'm just more of a hyper-considerate introverted person, and so making this much noise is pretty unnerving.

I tried to record a video but the audio from the first take clipped way too much, didn't come out. I'll try again this afternoon.

• Premium Member
Holy crap. 
I just installed my akra titanium with baffle removed. And the sound is insane.

But as much as I love it, I really don't know if I can keep riding with it out. It's quite loud, and I'm not sure if I want that much attention. I mean, if it were just me out in the country by myself, I would absolutely love it. But riding in an urban environment is kind of high-anxiety. All I could keep thinking was "god I hope I'm not pissing all these people off..." I'm just more of a hyper-considerate introverted person, and so making this much noise is pretty unnerving.

I tried to record a video but the audio from the first take clipped way too much, didn't come out. I'll try again this afternoon.
It sounds pretty sweet with the baffle in to me.  And it gets a little louder as it breaks in too, plus, you definitely won't be pi$$ing off the neighbors (unless they just hate seeing someone have as much fun as you are on your FZ-07). ;) 

Why can't left turners see us?

So, how difficult was the installation @tylerjanebr ?

It's pretty straight forward. 1-5 scale 5 being super hard. This is a 1, giving the fact you have the proper tools, socket wrench, extensions, torque wrench, beer and a good keen since of nuts n bolts. Lol. No, seriously it's easy, follow the directions and you be all good brah. :)

Honda Grom
CB 350

So, how difficult was the installation @tylerjanebr ?
Very easy. Hardest part was just keeping the damn header gaskets in place when installing the headers. That took an answered prayer. 
Also removing the baffle was pretty hard up until I found the right tool. Took me awhile to find the right size rod to tap it out from the other side, but once I used it, it came right now.

The EJK was kind of a pain in the ass. Removing all the plastics, moving the tank, unhooking a bunch of stuff, and then even still you're working in a really cramped area with the injectors. But I managed and everything seems to be running perfectly. Hope it stays that way :)

@Tyler Jane,

I'm glad to hear you got everything installed. Let us know how you like the new setup.

Let me know if you have any questions about adjusting the fuel controller. I'll be happy to help you get it dialed in.

-TuningHQ

• Premium Member

Tyler Jane

as far as removing the baffel.. my plan is to just use a wooden dowel to tap it out. there is a bolt & nut that looks like it's holding the baffel in place also. remove the bolt and tap it out? is that all there is to it?

@scottgat Yeah, after you remove the bolt, you just want to make sure you're tapping on the flat part of the baffle. Like, the baffle is a flat circle with two pipes going through it; tap on the flat part. Alternate between which side of the pipe you are hitting it from, and it will start to slide out. I also sprayed a bit of WD40 around the rim to try and assist with movement; not sure if that helped at all.

• 1 month later...

FZ-07 Forum Members!

TOMORROW AND TOMORROW ONLY, 12/16/15 we will be having a sale on all Akrapovic exhausts. An additional 5% off all exhaust only and stage 1 kits.

This includes the Akrapovic Carbon and Titanium for the FZ-07 as well as all other Akrapovic exhausts.

If you have another bike and are interested in an Akrapovic exhaust, drop us a PM.

-TuningHQ

Archived