The MT-07 Forum

Really Want A Bike

micah16858

Hello, I'm 16, don't even have my car license yet, and want a bike.  8D  I probably won't get one until after I get a car, 'cause it gets a little cold here in PA during the winter, and I don't think it'd be good to ride at ~10 degrees. I had a little dirtbike when I was 11-13, PW80. Fun bike, just got too big for it and sold it. So I've got a little experience on 2 wheels.
[span]    [/span] I was watching some "Motovlogging" videos on Youtube, and there was a guy with a CBR600, going 160+ mph, weaving in and out of traffic, just acting like a total hooligan. I thought, "Huh, that looks fun."  :D I casually brought up the idea of getting a bike to the 'rents, and when my mom saw the CBR, she went, "No, absolutely not! You'll kill yourself!"  Figured she'd say that.. haha. The CBR probably isn't the greatest beginner bike, anyway. I saw the FZ-07, and I love it. And probably has a little better chance against my parents vs. the CBR. Been reading up on a lot of threads on here, there's alot of information on this site. 

Not to bust on you thinking weaving in and out of traffic look "cool and fun".

Watch this video for a dose of reality. Nothing graphic in this video.

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz4ZGqfwNEM]

Ouch, that looked painful. Yeah definitely not gonna be riding like a fool. Kind of meant "that looks fun" sarcastically, you know? Plus lane splitting is illegal here. (I think the only state that allows it is CA, right?)

Truth is if you do get a bike and if ride it in traffic.  Ride it like nobody can see you and if they could see you, they would try to run you over any way. :)

This bike was my first bike as well, and it seems like I made the right choice for myself. A few key things are to take a motorcycle safety course, and try or at least sit on as many bikes as you can before choosing what you want. I would say that taking the course before you buy your bike is best practice because there were quite a few people that I took my course with that simply decided that motorcycle riding wasn't for them for one reason or another. Spending a little cash on a course like that can save you money on insurance and maybe even save your life if you take it seriously and continue to practice what is taught there. Plus, it's a safe environment to learn how to ride in.

fooschnickens

Aye, an MSF course should be the first thing any new or potential rider does. It's well worth the money.

• Premium Member
This bike was my first bike as well, and it seems like I made the right choice for myself. A few key things are to take a motorcycle safety course, and try or at least sit on as many bikes as you can before choosing what you want. I would say that taking the course before you buy your bike is best practice because there were quite a few people that I took my course with that simply decided that motorcycle riding wasn't for them for one reason or another. Spending a little cash on a course like that can save you money on insurance and maybe even save your life if you take it seriously and continue to practice what is taught there. Plus, it's a safe environment to learn how to ride in.
+1 on all of that... 
I would also strongly suggest buying your gear shortly before finalizing the purchase of the bike or at the same time. Having a license, a new bike and no gear can result in riding in a Tshirt and flip flops while saving money for boots, jacket, etc...

Your PW80 experience should prove to be an advantage to you during the MSF course. Since you likely wont need to work much on the mechanics of how to operate the bike, you can have a much deeper focus on the safety & maneuvering instruction. A lot of folks in my class had never been on a motorcycle - many of them failed or just quit. 

pantheraleo

Well, while the FZ-07 can potentially be a good first bike for the right rider, its a lot of power and torque. Be very careful and respect it.

My 19 year old is just starting to ride. Here's what i told him. The MSF is the best $175 I ever spent. Buy good gear, and wear it. His first bike is a used '06 Kawasaki Ninja 250r...because if he's like me, he'll likely drop it.

Good luck.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

First bike?
Get yourself on a dual-purpose bike like a Yamaha XT250, Suzuki DR200SE, Honda CRF230L, etc.
Light-weight and very easy to handle and will help you to LEARN HOW TO RIDE.

• Premium Member
First bike? Get yourself on a dual-purpose bike like a Yamaha XT250, Suzuki DR200SE, Honda CRF230L, etc.

This is good advice. The XT250 I rode during the MSF course a few years ago was one of the funnest, easiest bikes I've ridden. Would like to add one to the garage eventually.

Everything went braap.

fooschnickens

Just don't leave them parked anywhere in plain sight for any amount of time without chaining it up. All those bikes are theft magnets, especially in suburbs and city centers. Seems like every couple weeks I hear about someone else who had their DR or WR/XT/TW stolen.

I thought about a dual-purpose, as I live in an area with lots of trails. They seem much cheaper than a sport/street bike. I like the look of the Yamaha WR250's, what's the difference between the WR250X and the WR250R?

You'll not like my comment. Just remember that, when i was 16, i disliked what you'll read. Don't buy a new bike whatever the displacement. Keep the extra money for good gears. Don't be cheap for your helmet and protective gear.

Don't buy a bike with more than around 60 hp if you'll ride often with your buddys. I know the choices are very limited. It's too easy to forget some basic safety rules when you're riding with competitive friends. I've been there, done that. But hey, at 16-20, even if i met my older self telling me that, i think my first bike would still be my Seca 750. In retrospective, that bike wasn't a good first street bike. Even if i was off-roading since 1 was 11 years old.

If off-roading is still your thing and you're tall enough, a dualsport like a DR650 seems to me like a great learning tool. The Honda CB500 series is also a great call.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

I thought about a dual-purpose, as I live in an area with lots of trails. They seem much cheaper than a sport/street bike. I like the look of the Yamaha WR250's, what's the difference between the WR250X and the WR250R?
The X is the supermoto version. Tires are smaller (17 inch), the front brake are bigger and the suspension is a bit  firmer. The x is a tad smaller. Great bike, i had one. But it's no highway bike. It could do it, but it's not comfortable. You could put tires for off-roading for the X. Continental TKC80 are a great choice.  
If you do about 50% of riding time on unpaved roads or trails, pick the WR250R.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

You should get some insurance quotes online, to see how expensive it will be for the FZ-07.  It is always a good idea to check insurance cost when researching a bike.  

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, I'm 16, don't even have my car license yet, and want a bike.  8D  I probably won't get one until after I get a car, 'cause it gets a little cold here in PA during the winter, and I don't think it'd be good to ride at ~10 degrees. I had a little dirtbike when I was 11-13, PW80. Fun bike, just got too big for it and sold it. So I've got a little experience on 2 wheels. [span]    [/span] I was watching some "Motovlogging" videos on Youtube, and there was a guy with a CBR600, going 160+ mph, weaving in and out of traffic, just acting like a total hooligan. I thought, "Huh, that looks fun."  :D I casually brought up the idea of getting a bike to the 'rents, and when my mom saw the CBR, she went, "No, absolutely not! You'll kill yourself!"  Figured she'd say that.. haha. The CBR probably isn't the greatest beginner bike, anyway. I saw the FZ-07, and I love it. And probably has a little better chance against my parents vs. the CBR. Been reading up on a lot of threads on here, there's alot of information on this site. 
you may want to start looking at 300 cc bikes, I'm sure insurance alone will kill the dream of a fz07 for a 16 year old! Three year with a m1 licence and your rates will drop.
There are guys here twice your age paying 3k a year for insurance.

As soon as you can take the MSF course and get your m1 license. Don't worry about getting a bike. Insurance looks at how long you have held a license, and you don't have to pay if you don't own a bike. So even if your parent never let you get a bike your rates you drop over time and you can buy a bike when you move out!

• 3 weeks later...

A person who rides 1srt is is a better driver...my daughter is 14 abouth to be 15 she's shoot for hers.. 15 can get it in TX..good luck

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Here is my $0.02:

1. Take an MSF course

2. Buy your gear so you have ALL of it (Helmet ECE 22-05 rated, Jacket, Gloves, Pants, Boots) before you start looking at motorcycles. Get good gear with protection for your back, shoulder, elbows, and knees. If possible buy High Visibility Gear with bright colors and reflective patches. Demonstrate to your parents that you are responsible.

3. Get a good beginner bike. Shy away from the fully fared supersport bikes greater than 500cc. While your parents might like the FZ-07 more than a CBR600RR (My wife didn't like "The motorcycles with all the plastic on it") I would suggest something along the lines of a CB300/500F, Yamaha SR400, etc...

4. If you do get the FZ-07 get a 35kW limiting kit from the UK.

Remember if your parents think "You'll kill yourself!" you need to show them that you can be a responsible person with a motorcycle. Then in a few years once you are out of the house and had a few years of riding experience you can reevaluate your motorcycle needs and get a bike that you truely want. Or you can get a CBR1000RR and wrap yourself around trees (Or play traffic frogger) to your hearts content.

Cheers

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Looking around at insurance for a Yamaha R3, something that I'm really interested in, and the lowest I could find was around $40/month. A dual sport was half that, so I'm kind of leaning towards that. Save up this summer for a cheap dualsport, and use that to travel to and from a job, until I save up some money for a car, and maybe in a couple years down the road get a sport bike. The PA website is a little confusing, or maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like you have to have a bike to get your license, because you have to have at least 65 hours of riding before you get your license. Anybody have some clarification on that?

• Premium Member
snowdriftless
Looking around at insurance for a Yamaha R3, something that I'm really interested in, and the lowest I could find was around $40/month. A dual sport was half that, so I'm kind of leaning towards that. Save up this summer for a cheap dualsport, and use that to travel to and from a job, until I save up some money for a car, and maybe in a couple years down the road get a sport bike. The PA website is a little confusing, or maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like you have to have a bike to get your license, because you have to have at least 65 hours of riding before you get your license. Anybody have some clarification on that?

You will have fun with a dual sport. DR-Z400SM is my suggestion if you go that route.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Premium Member
I just looked at it and it appears that you need to take a written test and pay some money to get a learner's permit which is good for up to a year.  If you are under 18 then you ride around on your bike until you get at least 65 hours of riding experience before you are eligible to take your skills test and try for a full license.  Good luck!

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

If you go to the [strong] WWW.PAMSP.COM[/strong] website and look under FAQ for the BRC I found the following info for under 18 year old riders in Pennsylvania:
[em]"If I am under 18 years of age, can I take the BRC?[/em][em]Yes, as of August 31st, 2012 the Act 84 law requires all 16-and 17-year olds wishing to obtain their motorcycle license to first complete the BRC (BRC). Before taking the licensing test, 16 and 17 year olds must remain on their learner’s permit for six-months to meet their eligibility date and complete 65 hours of supervised riding. [strong]The 15 hour BRC counts toward the total 65 hour requirement. Persons under 18 years of age must also show the DL-180C form signed by the parent or guardian that attests to the 65 hours of supervised riding being completed.[/strong] Those not meeting these requirements will receive a Motorcycle Safety Foundation completion card only if they successfully complete the course. Upon returning to the course for licensing once the requirements have been met, the minor must present their MSF completion card to the examiner."[/em]
It appears you don't need to actually own a motorcycle but need access to one to complete the 65 hours of supervised riding.  The MSF BRC course also provides a motorcycle since you must use their bikes for the class.  Good Luck!

• Premium Member

Start with putting together a budget which factors insurance, gear, maintenance, potential upgrades, monthly payments unless somehow you get all that money cash, registration, etc and only then look into taking the MSF which you should 100% take, and if after all that you can afford one..go ahead, but riding is NOT CHEAP..My jacket alone is $600, Helmet $250, Gloves $70, Boots $200, Still waiting on buying pants (don't have money now), and that is that I don't have a shady salary..don't get me wrong you don't have to have the BEST gear, but if you want to increase your chances of not breaking too many things gear will be pricey along with riding classes..

First bike?Get yourself on a dual-purpose bike like a Yamaha XT250, Suzuki DR200SE, Honda CRF230L, etc.
I agree and I'll go further to say it would be wise to get a used one because everyone drops their bike. Get a fairly cheap one, one you won't mind banging up a bit and ride the P** out of it. I suggest practicing in the dirt where you are generally safer and get to know some guys that are experienced dirt riders and learn clutching, braking and sliding techniques that go beyond ordinary braking practices. That knowledge can come in handy when street riding more than you know. (just ask Rossi) Good luck, be safe! 

"Not to bust on you thinking weaving in and out of traffic look "cool and fun".

"Watch this video for a dose of reality. Nothing graphic in this video."
[video src=https://youtu.be/rY0WxgSXdEE]

Beemer

Archived