The MT-07 Forum

How long??

maalna2

This is my first bike so I must ask. How long did it take you to feel comfortable riding on a main road? I am asking because everytime I get out on a main road my mind starts acting like a radar. Does that feeling ever go away?

• Premium Member

My first street bike, I seem to recall it was maybe 2-3 months before I was really used to it where it was not noticeably more stressful in traffic than driving my car. Many, many years of NOT riding later, I got the FZ-07 and it took a few weeks to get back to where I was really comfortable again in traffic. I just baby stepped it (both times), rode where/how I was comfortable, and it just naturally felt easier as the miles added up.

Luckily, I havent lost the mental traffic radar - I just shook off the stress that used to go along with it.

Congrats on your first bike! Can't say I remember my first time on main roads amongst traffic. But my FZ-07 is my first bike in a couple of years and it took me almost two weeks to just get comfortable with the bike. The fact that your mind goes to radar mode is a good thing, don't lose it. It'll keep your ass safe. I'm a very defensive rider and don't plan on changing because I want to live long enough to visit Mars. lol

Guest whitegas

About 500-600 miles range is when I was comfortable and not thinking so much, but still radaring. As people have said, you should never get rid of the radar. But its nice to stop being up in your head which is what the main problem I'm guessing is what you are having. But yeah, around 500 miles or so.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

It took several months. I started on residential and worked up to faster and busier roads. I used to pull over and let cars pass which I'm sure was baffling to them. Ha. You should always have your radar on but not let it freak you out. Keep alert but in a relaxed way, if that makes any sense.

Illegitimi non carborundum

fooschnickens

I've always driven small cars so I'm used to having my head on a swivel even if I'm not on a bike. That experience crossed over well onto two wheels and has served me well thus far. Reading traffic patterns and anticipating dumb moves has saved my ass on more than one occasion.

That feeling should never go away. I've been on bikes for the better part of 5 years and what I've come to learn is you always have to have your mind act like a radar. I don't think it goes away, but I think you don't notice you are doing it as much so it feels like you aren't doing it. The truth is, you are on a 400lb bike with minimal protection, and everyone else are 2 ton killing machines and if you get in the way of one of them, you will lose. Your mind should always be a radar when you ride your bike but eventually it will become second nature to you. I don't want to give a specific number of miles and say that is when it will happen, because it is going to be a unique number for each person depending on many factors. For some it's instant, for others it takes a LONG time. No one number will be correct for everyone and only you will be able to tell how many you need. Unfortunately you will know this number after you have passed it, and knowing it won't do you much good at that point. Haha You are going through something normal and eventually you will not feel this way. Just keep riding and build your skills and confidence slowly but consistently. Congrats on an awesome bike purchase and don't let main roads freak you out, just be conscious of your surroundings and watch everything. Keep riding and enjoy your bike!  :D

• Premium Member

The more you ride, the more comfortable and confident you'll be.

If you ride regularly and/or often you'll become a pretty confident rider within a few months or so.

There's always room to improve though, so you never stop learning.

Everything went braap.

Go take a certified riding course. And yes, keep your mind focused. Always scanning, looking well down the road, not in front of the tire and look thru the corner at the exit.

Always remember, you bike will go wherever you are looking. See trees or a hazard? Look where you wanna go, not at the hazard or you will run right into it.

I took the beginners course. I am hoping to do the two advanced course a little. I think my confidence took a hit yesterday when I stalled out at a four way stop on a hill. I ended up having to wave ther other car to go. Thanks everyone for giving my insight and letting me know it is a normal feeling.

pantheraleo
I took the beginners course. I am hoping to do the two advanced course a little. I think my confidence took a hit yesterday when I stalled out at a four way stop on a hill. I ended up having to wave ther other car to go. Thanks everyone for giving my insight and letting me know it is a normal feeling.
My advice. Work on your low speed drills.

The box is a great one for clutch control, which is key to starting on an incline. Honestly, getting started on an incline can be tough! Practice it!

I try to do low speed drills (u-turns in under 20 ft, the box, offset cone weave, etc) every two weeks for an hour. Those low speed maneuvers are critical to being a well-rounded rider.

Taking the advance course is a good idea, too.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

My ride home from the dealership was just about the most nervous I've been in recent memory.  (about 2 mi from my house)
The it was the only bike experience I'd had outside the MSF course for my license.  Aside from that extreme-to-me situation, I rode my first 25 miles around my residential neighborhood only.  That was a great way to familiarize myself with the controls, operation, and feel of the bike in a low stress environment.  Lots of time during that was spent practicing smooth starts in my driveway and on small hills as well.  The next 75 or so was on main roads and light highway time, all during off-peak traffic hours.
It was only after that first 100 miles or so i felt comfortable enough to start trying my commute and gaining confidence to ride in less than ideal circumstances.
With less than 600 mi accumulated so far, I am still hyper aware when I ride as I still feel far from 'natural' when I ride, but a tangible improvement with every trip on the bike.

So it parallels my experience with learning to drive a stick when i was 18, though now the stakes are raised a bit regarding my personal safety.  Now it took me about 3 months of daily driving my car for manual operation to change from a conscious act to an 'automated' experience for me.  Probably a full year (~10,000 mi) or longer until I actually felt proficient with it at all times.

I expect that my learning curve with the bike will follow a similar trajectory, as it has been going.  I believe patience is a virtue in this matter.  ;)

When I'm stopped at an incline, I just let the clutch out enough that the bike will hold itself up without applying the brakes. When I need to go, I just give it a little gas and ease the clutch out. There are other methods, but I find this to be the easiest.

Always remember, you bike will go wherever you are looking. See trees or a hazard? [strong]Look where you wanna go[/strong], not at the hazard or you will run right into it.  

This is one of the main things they drill into professional riders (aka motorcycle police) and probably one if not the most important. Your body goes where your eyes and brain tell it, usually where you are looking. They had a sweet demo of riding skills at Daytona this weekend that showed some good tips and tricks for learning. 

87' Honda VFR 700 F2 (sold)
03' Honda CBR F4I (donated)
05' Yamaha R1 (sold)
15' FZ-o7

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
When I'm stopped at an incline, I just let the clutch out enough that the bike will hold itself up without applying the brakes. When I need to go, I just give it a little gas and ease the clutch out. There are other methods, but I find this to be the easiest.
This is a good idea. Hill starts are a weak spot of mine; I'm going to try it.

Illegitimi non carborundum

This is a good idea. Hill starts are a weak spot of mine; I'm going to try it.

what i do on a hill start    i apply  rear brake, while standing on my left feet,  in  1st gear clucth in 100%  then when  green light goes on,  i just let cluch out and have a little gas.. and slowly get out rear brake also...  it works very well for me

• Global Moderator

That is my technique too. After a little practice it becomes really easy.

I lol at the hill start convo. I live in Florida, the biggest hill I have to contend with is the incline in my driveway.... lol I really hate how flat and straight Florida roads are though! But even in my driveway, while sitting and trying to find the button for the garage, I have to hold the foot brake while giving it gas and releasing the clutch. All great info here though! I've gotten fairly confident on my 07, almost to confident a couple times around turns. To the point I had an oh Shet moment in my mind. Luckily I remembered not to get freaked out, kept the lean and looked where I wanted to go and made it through. Point being, don't get overconfident!

The FZ-07 is also my first bike.  The sensation of speed on a motorcycle takes time to get used to.  I just hopped on for a ride yesterday.  Been a few months.  Forgot how fast this thing is.  Makes me happy every time.

I picked my bike up from a dealership that was 70 miles from my home.

My first time riding a bike on public roads outside of the MSF course. I started the ride at 5 PM in December in Florida and finished the ride by about 6:45 in the DARK.

The majority of that drive was done on I95, a major, four lane highway down here. It was a terrifying experience and it set the tone for the future of my riding life which is this:

When you are on a bike, you are NEVER safe.
When you are on a bike you are NEVER 100% in control. (the same can be said for a car though).
Do not ride outside of your limits.
Respect the machine.
Acting like a jackass is a good way to get killed.
Thinking you are capable of more than you really are is a good way to get killed (ride within your limits)
Keep your head on a swivel and check twice before changing lanes.
Understand how much power you have beneath you and how to USE that power when you need it to escape from trouble.
People in cars are assholes and will do everything possible to do NOTHING to actually PAY attention.
Never get complacent, you are never 100% in control and competency CAN breed complacency.

Its a scary world out there and the reality is that riding a motorcycle is more dangerous than riding a car. This is the risk that you must accept and if you're NOT ok with that, sell the bike.

For me, part of the thrill is the understanding that i MUST pay attention to EVERY aspect of what i am doing and also what other people are doing when i ride. Sitting in a car is such a routine thing for me that you can almost drive and get where you want to go with your eyes closed. This is certainly not the case on a bike.

Go slow, work on your skill set and test your limits when applicable, ie a track or another closed course venue.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless
Always remember, you bike will go wherever you are looking. See trees or a hazard? [strong]Look where you wanna go[/strong], not at the hazard or you will run right into it.  

This is one of the main things they drill into professional riders (aka motorcycle police) and probably one if not the most important. Your body goes where your eyes and brain tell it, usually where you are looking. They had a sweet demo of riding skills at Daytona this weekend that showed some good tips and tricks for learning.
I third this. I just started riding last weekend. The one thing I must constantly remind my self is to look where I want to go. I am always repeating this to myself as I ride. Especially approaching and in corners. I have had a few times on a twisty road where I was going wide until I reminded myself to look where I wanted to go. Once I looked where I wanted to turn my FZ-07 instantly corrected. 
Second If you are on level ground and at a stop with no stopped cars behind you flash your brake light. Get any approaching cars attention!

The last thing I would say is take note of the cars/objects around you when you have time. Are cars too close in-front or behind you? Any obstacles ahead that you need to pay attention to? Or when at a stop does the car behind you notice you? Are they slowing down appropriately or does it look like they are planning to blow right through you?

You should always have "Radar" when riding:

tumblr_n4e2ujrmI51si7asso1_400.gif

but it shouldn't make you nervous or anxious, just keep you informed and aware of your surroundings.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

scordiaboy515

Hmmmmm....can't remember back that far, bout 40 years ago..I just hopped on and started haulin the mail. I guess my circumstances where a little different, my first bike was a 1973 Suzuki TS100 with all it's 10 hp :D

I took my fz07 to work right out of the dealership. I was just too excited. I've only ridden a handful of times on the rd125 I sold and the msf course. This bike is very forgiving. my only sources of stress on this bike was the mysteriously stalling and lane splitting (which I told myself not to do if I wasn't comfortable with it) I ride with a mindset that every car is going to mow me down. I used to commute on bicycle so that carried over. I remember the butterflies in my stomach before a ride, sleepness nights of nervousness and excitement, so pure. lol :P

rolltide268

This FZ is my 8th bike and 21st year of road riding...the awareness of potential 'radar' being there only increases as you wise up per say to the fact that you are a target...Be safe, be careful, be smart, don't learn through tickets as I have that you aren't given special rights as a motorcyclist...ha!

• Premium Member

Lots of good advice here. I'll add: scan as far ahead as you can so you get a good heads up as to any changing road conditions. Awareness is the key to avoidance and will buy you extra reaction time.

Everything went braap.

Archived