The MT-07 Forum

MD Aprilia owner looking at FZ07

sailorjack

Hey all.  Nice site you have here with some good info.  Little bit about myself.  I'm in the Navy, 17 years so far.  Finishing up in MD before I retire here at the 20 year mark.  I've been riding for a few years and have owned over 20 + street bikes.  Everything from Buells to Kawasaki Ninja's to 4 different generation Honda VFR's (Interceptors for you older guys). I also race mini-gp, stock 100 class and F1.

I currently own a 2001 Aprilia Falco and while it has some nice components and a gorgeous growl, I'm over the leaning over, low clip-on style rides especially since I like to go on 300 - 500 mile day rides regularly.

So, this is probably going to sound strange but I really like the FZ-07 for a few reasons. 

First - it's so much fun to ride a slow bike fast.  Not saying the FZ-07 is slow but compared to my Ape and the Ninja 1000 before that and the CBR1100XX before that, this bike is down a few hp.

Second - It's so light weight!  Like riding a pedal bike compared to some of my previous piggies!

Third - Price. Cheap to buy, cheap to insure, cheap to maintain.

Fourth - Touring - eating miles.  Looking at the Corbin seats, windscreens and suspension options, I think this little bike can make a decent light tourer.  I'm not talking 10K in 10 days but easily making 300 - 500 mile days.

Of course, you all know all that anyway don't you.

Anyway, that's my plan.  Looking forward to lurking here till I sell the Aprilia (anyone interested in owning an Italian?) and get me an FZ-07 to throw money at.

pantheraleo

Welcome, sir.

You just missed a dandy that sold in eastern Va a day or two ago on this forum.

I've got a Givi screen, but that's hardly a touring windscreen.

Have you looked at the FJ? Not too much bigger, but has a lot of what your looking for installed already stock.

In any case, modding your bike can be fun, too...I get that. There are some good options out there. I know a place that mods your existing seat if the Corbin doesn't suit you, let me know.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

Thanks!

I'm in no big rush. I have to wait for the Aprilia to sell before I roll another bike into the garage.

I've been in love with the FJ since it was announced but for the price of a heavily modded FZ07 I can still come in $2000 less than a stock FJ. I'll wait a few years and buy a lightly used FJ for cheaper. Until then, I think the FZ is the ticket. I really like the Corbin gunfighter and lady. The Mrs. likes to ride occasionally and that seat seems like it'll fit the bill.

• Premium Member

Welcome! I definitely enjoy all the points you've listed... tho this is my "fastest" bike so far.

GLWS of your Aprillia!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Guest sportyeight

The insurance on this bike is the highest I've ever paid. Always been riding Harley Sportser 1200s always brand new around. I gave up the Harley for the FZ and my insurance went up $25. Per month. Yikes.
But then again, I see you are used to paying premiums on liter bikes. x_x

The insurance on this bike is the highest I've ever paid. Always been riding Harley Sportser 1200s always brand new around. I gave up the Harley for the FZ and my insurance went up $25. Per month. Yikes.
I think the insurance companies are nothing more than well dressed thieves. My insurance almost doubled going from a Suzuki Vstrom to the FZ-07. It's called a high performance bike. It's a naked bike so no expensive plastic should you drop it and it costs 25% less than the VStrom. Thieves I say!!!!!!!! :-/

Hahahah, The Aprilia Falco, albeit a 1000cc sport bike only costs me $17/month with full coverage, $500 deductable and $2500 in accessory coverage through Gieco.

I got a quote on insurance for the FZ-07 and the same coverage is less than $10 more a month.

Now my Ninja 1000? I had to shop around for insurance with that guy.

Welcome! I definitely enjoy all the points you've listed... tho this is my "fastest" bike so far.  
GLWS of your Aprillia!
Don't be to concerned with "fast".  I could care less about how fast a bike goes.  How it handles through some esses and hauls my big but around is more important.   
My two most favorite bikes have been my TTR 125 mini gp race bike (current race bike) and a GSF400 Bandit.  I can throw them into a turn and pick a line midway through without upsetting the bike.  Of course,  one only goes 45mph and the other sucked on any road other than something smooth and twisty.

• Premium Member
GLWS of your Aprillia!
Don't be to concerned with "fast".  I could care less about how fast a bike goes.  How it handles through some esses and hauls my big but around is more important.   
My two most favorite bikes have been my TTR 125 mini gp race bike (current race bike) and a GSF400 Bandit.  I can throw them into a turn and pick a line midway through without upsetting the bike.  Of course,  one only goes 45mph and the other sucked on any road other than something smooth and twisty.
I totally understand. It's the same reason why I've kept my CBR250R. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

I think you've discovered a lot of the reasons why I love the FZ-07 (and I owned some nice bikes, both bigger and smaller). A great little bike to begin with, great price, low weight, great handling, well built, plenty of available upgrades, and it makes me smile a lot. :)

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome sailorjack! Glad you joined our little group.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Archived