The MT-07 Forum

Side panel removal

tony

I know this sounds retarded, but I can't remove side tank panel for the LED Relay installation.  I removed a bunch of screws, plus a couple of plastic clips around the seat area that keep front and rear side panels together.  But there is something else that's holding the front side panel, and I'm not sure what.  I'm attaching the pix with arrows pointing to the bolts and clips that I removed... there's apparently more and I don't know where it may be.  Can someone pls help?

Thanks!

left-top_zpsha2fmg35.jpg

left-side_zps3kw3nr9r.jpg

Guest Ralph

It looks like you got the lot but can you see that tab between the first and second screw?
there are tabs like that under the plastic and you have to ease the tabs you can see out
and the others follow but they are quite a tight fit and it's a bit nerve racking the first
time, there are also 2 I thing pegs that go into rubber grommets but they come out ok. think
there is a how to on here somewhere. you have taken out 2 that you did not need to but that
will be ok and you will find which when it realises, it comes off with quite a bang.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

You can't remove the tank panels because the warning sticker is still attached. It's loctite for the whole bike.  :D

Illegitimi non carborundum

migglesworth
Thanks a lot!! I got it off now :)
I suffered in the exact same place as you got stuck last weekend. Soooo hard to put force into anything on the bike for fear of hurting your baby. We've all been there I'm sure.

• Global Moderator

I use an old credit card to pry plastics loose. Especially those clips on top of the fuel tank. (I think there are only two screws that hold the panel in place)

Be sure to re-install the rubber grommet at the front the tank. It usually pops out when pulling the panel.

Using a credit card is the way shown in official Yamaha Service training videos, actually, and is a good technique.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Lots of great tips here, since I plan on swapping my red panels for white this Spring. Thanks!

• Global Moderator

The side panel is also covered HERE. (with lots of pictures). Taking off a side panel is usually just a step in a bigger procedure.

There is a nice list of How To's  worth exploring too.  

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Yes, certainly... a little grease as noted above when putting it back together, but silicone grease!

Archived