The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 LED strip install made easy?

tino206

• Premium Member

Hi,

I am new to bikes in general and this is in fact is my first bike. With that said I have worked on cars for a while so I am not afraid of working on my bike. I want to first make this bike safe before I start modding performance and I have seen people install LED strip to make their bikes more visible. Have said that I want to make this an easy job, as it should be. I want to see what you guys think, the pictures below are not mine, they are ones I gathered while researching. Please let me know if this is something that would work.

Steps:
Buy LED strips
Buy vampire clips (picture below)
Find location of LED strips
connect vampire clips to power source
Done.

I have seen that the DRL cable in the harness is the Blue one in the picture. I would just place the vampire clip and the LED strip power to that, and wolah...we got power..right?

Vampire-Connector_T_zps5hhggmno.jpg

harness_zpsdvkypkfw.jpg

Would this work? what LED strips do you have (links)?[/img]

• Premium Member

Haven't done what you're trying to do so I can't comment on that.

Was just gonna say, posi-taps might work a little better than the vampire clip. In essence it is the same thing, but a lot smaller and easier to tuck away in the claustrophobic cabelways. Good luck with your mod!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00389UT3I/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/185-1369899-4175230

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

You would at least need a resistor in between the LED strips and the power source. And you would need two vampire clips for each LED strip. I know Cycle World had an editorial about using these clips and they found that sometimes the wire can get "Clopped" a little too much and cause the wire to break.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Global Moderator

I do not think he would need a resistor for what he is doing. Resistors are used as a way to stop the fast flash. He is not wanting the LED's to flash and would still have the incandescent bulbs there anyway.

I do not think he would need a resistor for what he is doing. Resistors are used as a way to stop the fast flash. He is not wanting the LED's to flash and would still have the incandescent bulbs there anyway.

Depends on the amps/volts on the wire he's tapping into. LEDs are sensitive to excessive current and voltage which can cause them to prematurely fail pretty quickly. The reason LED turn signals don't see faults is the blinker relay only sends voltage and current to the signals when the relay is closed, reducing the load on the LEDs. But again it also depends on the difference between the power on the wire being tapped and what the LEDs are designed to operate with. Doesn't hurt to use an inline resistor to lower the current and voltage to the appropriate amount for the LED strips he's installing. It'll help keep them working a lot longer.

fooschnickens

I've never liked using vampire clips or posi-taps. I've done my fair share of rewiring cars whose owners thought they knew what they were doing and used both of those connectors and ended up doing more harm than good.

Vampire clips are extremely flakey in performance and like driftless said, the wire can end up breaking (assuming you even made a solid connection in the first place).

• Premium Member

I am up for doing it right but I have yet understand how to set up the led strips on the bike..does anybody have pictures of their set up? connections and locations?

Archived