The MT-07 Forum

First Time at a Dragstrip

enels57

This was the first time I ever raced at an organized event...it was "test & tune" day at Southerwestern International Raceway....

The best I could do at this track today was 12.983 seconds and 101.67 mph.  It was about 80 degrees F and the track is at about 3,100 feet above sea level.  Long story short - it was a blast.  Of all the pairings I ended up in I didn't lose a race....obviously there were a lot of people there WAY faster than me...just the luck of the draw.  I felt good about beating a new Challenger that said "Hemi" on the hood.  Good fun!

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac263/rexarsenal/IMG_3218.jpg

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac263/rexarsenal/IMG.jpg

"Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater" - Iggy Pop

• Premium Member

Cool. I plan on trying out some runs on the bike this year at my local track. Been down the track many times in cars, but the bike might be more of a rush!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I red lighted...my reaction time was 0.259. I could be wrong maybe I'm reading it incorrectly. I think I will try again this Friday night....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
howworkclutch

good first time. you should be proud.
tell us about your launch. as much detail as you can. don't be shy.

i haven't been to the track yet (or even attempted a launch) on this bike. i have a buell 1125r that i take to the track. through the traps at 130mph no problem... but launching is downright frightening.

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member
Looks like you red-lighted. 12.9 is pretty good out of the box!
It said BUD LIGHT not red light LOL! 

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

I need to find a track around here some day and do that with my FZ 07. Your time seems to be a little off for the FZ 07. I used to run high 12's on my stock 83' 550 Vision. It's hard to say why your time isn't faster, there's no video of your run so I don't know if your launch is slow or if you shift at the wrong rpm or what. I'm sure your time will improve. I say this also because one guy on you tube ran his FZ 07down the 1/4 in the high 11's and his launch wasn't the best and he shifted at red line, which is a noob mistake. Don't take this as me knocking you, I don't mean to, I'm just perplexed at the bikes performance. Good luck with that!

Beemer

The professionals at some of the mags (cycle world, motorcycle daily.com) have it listed in the low 12s and high 11s. And that's likely been converted to sea level.

So, considering the 3k ft up over sea level, and the 1st time at this, I'd say very well done!

The professionals at some of the mags (cycle world, motorcycle daily.com) have it listed in the low 12s and high 11s. And that's likely been converted to sea level.  
So, considering the 3k ft up over sea level, and the 1st time at this, I'd say very well done!
Agreed, well done!

Beemer

good first time. you should be proud. tell us about your launch. as much detail as you can. don't be shy.

i haven't been to the track yet (or even attempted a launch) on this bike. i have a buell 1125r that i take to the track. through the traps at 130mph no problem... but launching is downright frightening.
I really didn't launch any different than when I take off fast from a stop light.  I didn't go through the water box and I didn't do a burnout and I didn't even spin the tire when I took off.  One of the times a wheelie started to get too high and I had to back off the throttle for a milli-second, that was the only thing that was slightly frightening. 
So in other words I am probably launching like the little old lady from Pasadena.

I talked to an older guy (even older than me) at work who used to race motorcycles and he said what some of you have said...I should be able to improve with more practice.  However, I don't want to risk having the bike get away from me on launch so I'll balance my need for speed with respect for my limits....I hope.

At the time of the original post I hadn't even purposely spun the back tire on pavement. 30-some years ago I remember doing burnouts on various motorcycles but it has been a long time and now that I have grown up a little (very little) I don't want to risk getting hurt or wrecking my bike.  With a little consultation from my friend at work I realized there is very little middle ground between not revving it high enough and doing an unintended out of control wheelie versus giving it enough juice to break the back wheel free in order for it to spin. I don't want to burn my tires off but I did want to be able to "lay some rubber" if the situation called for it.  Anyways, I have laid a bit of rubber a couple times now and am happy to have added that to the repertoire.

I wasn't watching the rpm gauge but my intent was to shift at peak horsepower, or at about 9,000.  It felt like it went 0-85 mph really well, then started to lose some of the ummpff.  I think I shifted into 2nd at about 44, into 3rd at about 60, into 4th at about 78 and into 5th a little before the finish line at about 97.

Looking forward to trying again next week if possible.  I'm entertaining the idea of getting a power commander or a Dobeck fuel controller also.

Your friend sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Spinning your tire and pulling big wheelies is lost time so yes, it's tricky to get it just right in between. Like you, I'm older now and don't do all the crazy stuff I used to. I know now that I'm not immortal and that I now have to pay for things I break, not mom. Nice to see you got out there and tried/enjoyed yourself safely, that's all that matters really.

Beemer

Archived