The MT-07 Forum

Engine Temperature?

haze87

Noobie question here, what temperatures are safe? I know when I'm riding it is generally between 170-180F; however, when stopped for a period at a light it sometimes gets 200-210F and rarely to 220F. Is this safe? Is there a temperature that is unsafe? This is really just to sate my curiosity.[span][/span]

• Global Moderator

Those temps are exactly what I see. I think it says "hi" when it gets too high, but I am not sure what temperature that is. I think I read that in the owners manual but am not at home to check. Someone here will know for sure.

Good idea, don't know why I bypassed the manual. The heat display goes up to 242F. If it gets higher than that, HI will flash and the bike should be stopped and given a bit to cool down. At that point the radiator and coolant levels should be checked (after letting cool). If you are in the clear, start it back up after cool down, if it occurs again - contact Yamaha.

So I'm good. I appreciate the quick response - I just get nervous with temperatures because it gets so warm down here in FL.

Guest Ralph

I would have to check but think the fan comes on about 113C 235F,
it's quiet but you can feel a hot blast on the legs.
They do get hot quickly even in cold weather but it does not seem
to be a problem.

Its normal. The bike will flash "Hi" at you and won't allow you to start it again until the temp falls back into spec. I know on the I-4s I had the fans kicked in a little after 214 degrees. Normal operating temp is usually between 160 - 190 depending on the ambient temperature. I had a thermostat issue on my R1 that would make the bike believe it was overheating. Don't worry, even the budget friendly bikes have a lot of safeguards to prevent you from damaging them lol If the heat bothers you a lot of people I rode with, including myself, have installed "on" switches to the radiator fan which would allow us to turn the fan on ourself and keep it running to help keep the coolant cooler. A cooler engine is a happy engine. But it's not a necessity.

fooschnickens

I'm hoping that once my local shop takes care of a bit of their backlog they can start poking at my bike. They're really interested to see what it can do on the dyno and to see what reflash options are available. If lowering the fan temps is in the cards I'd happily kick it down a bit. If nothing else it will put my mind at ease in traffic and keep my knees cooler as well :P

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
My temps are the same as the OP's.
+1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Archived