The MT-07 Forum

I want a second bike, 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S

jrubicon

So i had my eye on a Yamaha Bolt, but i recently saw a new Vulcan S and fell inlove.

Sat on it, much better bike than the Bolt imo.

lighter weight, water cooled, $1k less at $6999!.  650cc is enough for me, im a small guy at 5'6 137 lbs. I'm most likely to get it down the road as a second bike. Hopefully withint 6 months. I love the posture, it would make for longer trips to the coast, etc.

what cruiser would you buy?

2015-Kawasaki-Vulcan-S.jpg

www.youtube.com/infinion3

I probably would get either this or the Bolt. I saw this at the IMS in Cleveland and sat on it. It was comfortable. I liked it. I would be a good second bike I think. Just needs a windscreen if you are using it for touring.

I've got a 2009 Vulcan 900 that I want to sell soon as it's 600 lbs and hates to turn and this Vulcan S and the FZ-07 will be on my shopping list as soon as the weather warms up enough around here. I'll own 1 of those 2 soon.

500 lbs is still 100 more than the FZ-07 but if you're keeping both, it'd be a good choice based on reviews.

Kawasaki is shaking up the cruiser realm a bit with a parallel twin from the Ninja/Versys (albeit tuned for more low & mid range) instead of your typical V-twin.

And with the ergo-fit system they have, any rider can get custom fit at the dealership with the proper seat, handlebars, and foot pegs all included in the purchase price.

Current ride = 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom

• Premium Member

I was thinking about a bolt too as a second bike, but after seeing the vulcan s at the bike show im thinking that might be the one

fooschnickens
I've got a 2009 Vulcan 900 that I want to sell soon as it's 600 lbs and hates to turn and this Vulcan S and the FZ-07 will be on my shopping list as soon as the weather warms up enough around here. I'll own 1 of those 2 soon. 
500 lbs is still 100 more than the FZ-07 but if you're keeping both, it'd be a good choice based on reviews.

Kawasaki is shaking up the cruiser realm a bit with a parallel twin from the Ninja/Versys (albeit tuned for more low & mid range) instead of your typical V-twin.

And with the ergo-fit system they have, any rider can get custom fit at the dealership with the proper seat, handlebars, and foot pegs all included in the purchase price.
I hope that ergo-fit system takes off. I would love to see more manufacturers start doing something similar instead of passing the cost of fitting the bike off to the customer (because everyone loves paying $500 for some rearsets :| ).  

I'd have to go for the Triumph America or Speedmaster. I was considering those two along with the Vulcan S and the Versys when I made the choice to get the FZ-07.

• Premium Member

I like it, saw one in the lot at work and it was really sharp.

If I could get a cruiser though, it would have to be the new Indian Scout.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

I was also looking at the Triumph Speedmaster and almost bought a used one just before I discovered the FZ-07. Now I'm looking for a second bike to take my wife out on, something she'd be more comfortable on the back of, but think I want a little more power than the Speedmaster.

Has anyone ridden this thing yet? Ive never really been into cruisers but the bike looks good it was comfy when i sat on it at the miami bike show a few months ago and it "fit" me well.

The only gripe that i have is that i asked the kawasaki rep for the horsepower and torque figures and they said "sorry, we dont publish those". Eeerrm....eh?

• Premium Member
I was also looking at the Triumph Speedmaster and almost bought a used one just before I discovered the FZ-07. Now I'm looking for a second bike to take my wife out on, something she'd be more comfortable on the back of, but think I want a little more power than the Speedmaster.
Im in the same boat. My wife thought i was going to buy a cruiser when i came home with the FZ07 lol. Just gave me the ammo to get a second bike more comfortable for her to ride on too, but the hope is she will want to get her own bike!

The only gripe that i have is that i asked the kawasaki rep for the horsepower and torque figures and they said "sorry, we dont publish those". Eeerrm....eh?
Translation:  Sorry, I do not know anything about the motorcycle of the company I work for. 
You'd be surprised... no, actually, its very much commonplace these days where you go into a dealership or the like, ask a question about a car and they do not know the answer.  Simple answers you can find in mere seconds on the internet.  There was a time where people took pride in what they do.  Those days are long gone.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

Yeah, I generally know way more about the cars than the salespeople.

You guys considering cruisers as 2nd bikes, keep in mind that except for this new Vulcan S, they're not going to be much less than 600 lbs. Taking a turn in them is something I'd be very cautious of if you're coming from the FZ-07 ... they need much less speed and/or more lean angle if you don't want to go wide on a turn.

Current ride = 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom

I love my 07 but would love to have a second bike as well, I sat on both the Yamaha Bolt and Vulcan S at the Toronto bike show, and with out riding either of them the Vulcan S fit me way better. I don't know if I could justify to the wife that I need another bike so soon...

2015 Matte Metallic Grey FZ-07

Personally I would get a used 883 and then spend about 2500 bumping it up to 1250cc with 90-100hp to the rear wheel. Then proceed to cut it up into a brat/scrambler/cafe mix. Something I really considered before settling on the FZ

• Global Moderator
You guys considering cruisers as 2nd bikes, keep in mind that except for this new Vulcan S, they're not going to be much less than 600 lbs. Taking a turn in them is something I'd be very cautious of if you're coming from the FZ-07 ... they need much less speed and/or more lean angle if you don't want to go wide on a turn.
@hippiebikerchick has both a cruiser and an FZ-07. I would love to hear how easy she finds it to switch between bikes. Comments, HBC?

• Global Moderator

No cruiser for me. Call me crazy but I would get a Yamaha SR400 as a second bike.
Not that they are available in Canada. And I couldn't afford one if they were.  :P

Having rode on a cruiser, yeah, although I like how they look, I do not like how they ride.  I don't like how despite you have both feet planted firmly on the ground, it requires more effort to keep the bike up.  Or at least it can tip over much easier.

I was looking at getting a Honda Grom.   (rofl)

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

fromthecage

Let's see, if I were to get a second bike that would be a cruiser..... I had originally looked at the Iron 883 before purchasing the FZ, but I already have the sport minded bike so the cruiser would have to be purely a comfortable, badass cruiser. That rules out bobbers cause they're not all that comfortable.
I'd say two choices would be the Victory Gunner or the Indian Scout. Sat on a gunner at MMS a short while ago and it seems to be a pretty comfortable ride.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
@hippiebikerchick has both a cruiser and an FZ-07. I would love to hear how easy she finds it to switch between bikes. Comments, HBC?
I've ridden both bikes on the same day and have no difficulty switching between the two. The cruiser is def more comfortable (it has a mustang seat and floorboards) and the stock exhaust sounds better than anything I've ever heard. (potato, potato, potato) The loooong wheelbase makes it much harder to turn. I use it for all my shopping and don't worry about it being stolen. 
Just thought about the stalling issue with the 07. I've never stalled my cruiser.

I have no problem holding it up but it's still huge and heavy compared to the 07. I've been thinking about replacing it with a smaller cruiser or standard bike. There sure are a lot of smaller, good looking bikes out now.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Guest daufcguy

its very cool whats going on with the vulcan s with the ergo fit and sport bike derived motor, the american motor companies should take note. I have 3 bikes: my fz, an aprilia sport tourer and a 98 harley wide glide (evo motor). i use the fz for fun, the harley to cruise and the aprilia to travel, its great to have options. word of caution though, if your background is sport riding I think most cruisers are going to feel like slow moving land yachts, just my opinion, though. that being said, the sportster 1200 platform is a fantastic second bike, plenty of power, tons and tons of accesories and aftermarket parts, and they have limitless possibilitys as far as customization goes. I steer clear of the 883's cause ive owned a 1200 and my lady owns an iron 883 and when i ride her iron it I feel like its underpowered compared to my old 1200c (great for lane splitting though). we're planning on getting her a used 1200c (i'm planning on riding it too ; ) ) but she's going to keep the 883 because she likes it so much. Now, as far as what I would like to get for my next cruiser, I have two that i really like: 1982 harley davidson FXR shovelhead or 1996 harley davidson bad boy springer.

fromthecage

@daufcguy my co-worker is currently finishing his rebuild of his 82 FXR. He bought it in pieces and can't wait to get it out on the road!

Guest daufcguy

super jealous! I got a buddy back in Chicago who has one collecting dust in his garage, i'm trying to slowly pry the keys out of his hands and get it back on the road!

Cruisers just have never appealed to me, I would personally really like a KTM 1290 Adventure. Still sporty, great to for touring, and going off the pavement. Only down sided to it is its price tag.

Archived