The MT-07 Forum

EVMotorcycles are gonna take over. I'm ok with that.

Cruizin

A recent report (last Week) suggests that by the year 2024, Sales of Electric Motorcycles will reach 6 million per year.

Polaris just bought Brammo.

H.A.R.L.E.Y is taunting us with the LiveWire.

Yamaha is gonna launch two EV bikes by 2016

Kawasaki is working on an EV Bike.

Zero Motorcycles are growing as a company, so somebody is gonna buy them soon, too.

But the most interesting thing is that Tesla is building rapid charging stations all over the country as fast as they can. And they can charge an electric bike in about 45 minutes. Or, as some of us call it, lunch..

If you have any interest at all in Electric/EV Mototrcycles, please check out EVmotoRider.com and post. I'm about to put alot of resources into this forum, and if any of you share the passion that I have for EV, I'd love to have you as a moderator and help me recruit members.

EV Engines are superior, and battery technology is almost there. For urban commuting, it is already there.

I just want Tesla to actually build their own bike. Their cars are the sickest electrics out there.

There are already some pretty cool EV Bikes. I test rode a Zero and was blown away by the sheer power. Twist the throttle and you better be holding on, freaked me out.

At first I missed not engine noise, but then noticed that I could hear my tires, and I could hear the road and like on a bicycle, I could hear traction, or lack thereof. All of a sudden, I didn't miss engine noise anymore.

• Premium Member

Yeah I was really lusting after a Zero, but the $15K price tag is a bit prohibitive at this point.

• Global Moderator

Call me old-fashioned but I think I would really miss having a clutch. I would love to ride one though.

• Premium Member

I would spend 12K on an e-motorcycle. I have an electric recumbent bicycle.

[attachment id=65" thumbnail="1]

I own a Chevy Volt (came from a V8 Pontiac) and the electric torque is addicting (not to mention the gas $ saved). I also considered a Zero but the price is still too steep and I think the lack of noise is a safety issue (I've already almost hit a few people who walk out in front of me in the Volt).

Gotta agree though that the internal combustion engine will eventually be relegated to niche products. Battery power will take over for cars as well as motorcycles at some point.

Current ride = 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom

Bleh.  EV.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Global Moderator
The Zero that I tried out is fast and would probably take an FZ-07 in the 1/8 mile
But not after you have riden them both for an hour. 

Guest Ralph

250 miles on a charge, recharge in a hour
plenty of charge points, and affordable,
that would make it usable for me, I don't
care what makes it go as long as it does.

It would have to recharge in 5-10 minutes for me to even look twice at it. We'll get there one day.

just imagine, in the future instead of shooting flames out of the exhaust they'll be electric arcs. O_O

• Premium Member
belleau1977

You left out the best EV bike out there or at least the sickest dirtbike the KTM Freeride E. Only like $14,000 price range and not available in the USA yet.

Another cool aspect is that EV Dirtbikes can ride on Mountain bike trails. And, you can stealth ride on land and nob0ody can hear you.

Now that would be fun!

Guest Ralph

These guys are flying round the world on solar power,

http://www.solarimpulse.com/widget-instruments

Yamaha were trying to sell a ev sort of scooter in the UK 

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/scooters/electric/ec-03.aspx

but they have given up and some new ones are still on sale at half
price but still hard to shift.

they were asking about $3000 £2000 for them now £900 ish $1500

It would have to recharge in 5-10 minutes for me to even look twice at it. We'll get there one day.
To that 10 min charge, I'll add at least 180 mile range on a single charge. By then, a 10 min break is nice anyway. Recharge both the bike and me and then go again.  
I'm OK with that as well. 

I'd love to ride one. Huge torque off the bottom and virtually no sound (btw, noise causes fatigue, loud noises cause worse fatigue, just sayin') beyond some whirring/whining and maybe some tire sounds. And talk about silky smooth. It would be surreal. 

These guys are flying round the world on solar power, 
http://www.solarimpulse.com/widget-instruments

Yamaha were trying to sell a ev sort of scooter in the UK 

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/scooters/electric/ec-03.aspx

Solar panels on the tank bag and top box! If only it was sunny here.  
That Yamaha scooter might get better range if they gave that girl a smaller helmet, lol.  

Archived