The MT-07 Forum

Riding Pants

thestache

Howdy everyone,

I am looking for a pair of Summer riding pants, and need some fellow short people to help me out. I bought/returned a pair of AGV pants, marked short...they might have been short for like, Lebron James, but the knee pads look more like Catcher shin guards on me.

I have a 30in inseam, and they need good venting as I live in the South, so we get a lot of humidity in the Summer

Any help is appreciated

Sorry, i can't help as I also wear a pair of AGV ventillated pants. These http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/29939/i/agv-sport-solare-vented-textile-pants

The problem with AGV is that their legs are quite small (diameter) so you have to go up in size to squeeze into them. At 5' 5" and 135 lbs dripping wet (28" inseam) , I'm no giant. But i bought a size large (normally, that would be an S) to get my massive thighs (not) in. Fortunately, they have lots of adjustment to take up the excess where they actually are an L size.

So they are quite a bit long just standing around. but on the bike they are pretty darn good. And with the longish legs, once my knees are bent, the knee pads wind up in the right place - over the knees and not the thighs. They frequently are not in many riding pants.

Go into Motorcycle Supertsore's site and start looking at vented pants. Pick a few that are in yer price range and look good. There are usually lots of customer reviews and you can get a feel for fit.

good luck

Have you considered getting knee pads and armor shorts? That way the armor is where you need it and it allows you a lot more options in riding pants as then all you need is something that fits you and has abrasion resistance? Just a thought.

rolltide268

I use the ICON Anthem 2 mesh pant. I am 5'7 and where a 29/30 jean. These fit me just fine for when riding. If I get off the bike and go walking around then I step on the heel of the pant a lot but I usually stand at the bike and shed the pant to get down to my jeans or shorts before going anywhere. I considered having them taken up an inch or so but then I'd potentially be frustrated that they'd be too short when riding and legs are bent. Overall I'd recommend them for certain.

Have you considered getting knee pads and armor shorts? That way the armor is where you need it and it allows you a lot more options in riding pants as then all you need is something that fits you and has abrasion resistance? Just a thought.
Armored shorts is exactly what i do under those AGV pants as the legs are just too snug to squeeze jeans into. These http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14369/i/alpinestars-compression-shorts&colorid=9&sizeid=110?siteID=CSE_GBase_135894&WT.mc_ID=80003&P_ID=135894&P_ID=1330994420&adpos=1o3&creative=53697087533&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&SITEID=Google+SEARCH+NON-BRAND+Product+Level+Ads+-+Google+Shopping+Campaign+Brands&gclid=CO-k37-hxsQCFdcYgQodgzUATQ 
They are also vented (and just a bit obscene without undies underneath them) but still a bit hot where the pads are. They are the only gear I own that have tail bone protection. 

• Premium Member

Rev'It Airwave comes in short sized (I too have a 30" inseam) -- they seem a little long walking around, but when you bend your knees on the bike the pads are in all the right places.

@rick

Yeah, tailbone protection is exactly what led me to get my first pair of armored shorts.

• Premium Member

I also have a pair of Bohn bodyarmor mesh pants that have all the knee, shin, thigh, hip, and tailbone pads -- and these can be worn under (loose fitting) jeans. They breathe super well too.

I also have a pair of Bohn bodyarmor mesh pants that have all the knee, shin, thigh, hip, and tailbone pads -- and these can be worn under (loose fitting) jeans. They breathe super well too.
That Bohn body armor is nice stuff. A buddy of mine rides with it frequently. But instead of jeans, I think I would opt for pants with some kind of abrasion resistance - kevlar lining or similar. Cotton material just explodes on contact with pavement at even moderate speeds. All that armor won't help if the fabric gets ripped off while yer sliding along.  

@rick

But sadly that's exactly what Bohn markets their body armor to do. "Wear it under jeans and no one will even know you're wearing it!" In other words if you're a Harley rider worrying about being made fun of when you go to hang out at the dealership you should buy it. :|

Regardless, definitely agree don't buy armor under shorts/pants and then expect that to be enough protection.

• Premium Member

Cotton sucks, but cotton + armor is still > just cotton. Not ideal, but still greater than.

I wear kevlar lined denim, and a leather jacket.. I'm pretty sure I'm going to tumble more than I'll slide. Still, I prepare for both scenarios as best I can.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
Cotton sucks, but cotton + armor is still > just cotton. Not ideal, but still greater than. 
I wear kevlar lined denim, and a leather jacket.. I'm pretty sure I'm going to tumble more than I'll slide. Still, I prepare for both scenarios as best I can.
That's my standpoint as well -- not ideal, but better than no protection.  OTOH I have to wear armored mesh because there is no way in hell I could wear leather in the desert heat.  :)

Rev'It Airwave comes in short sized (I too have a 30" inseam) -- they seem a little long walking around, but when you bend your knees on the bike the pads are in all the right places.
I also have a 30" inseam and my Rev'It Sand II pants (not summer pants) in 'short' fit well.  Had to exchange the 'regular' size.  Good to hear the Airwaves are probably sized the same.  Was thinking about getting these myself.

It's sounding the like the OP should check out some Rev'It Airwaves. I haven't tried any of their pants, but every Rev'It product I've bought has been excellent fit and quality.

Gonna check out the Rev'It Airwaves, was looking at Icon Anthems, but that white gave me a Navy flashback when it came to keeping them clean

Thanks everyone for your help

USMCFieldMP

I ordered the Dainese New Drake Air Textile Pants last week. They should be here Tuesday, but the weather forecast isn't look good for me to be able to do a review of them any time soon.

The thing that I like about the Dainese pants is that they are slimmer and formfitting. A lot of the other brands that I looked at seemed to be more baggy and loose, and that's not what I was looking for in riding pants.

Archived