The MT-07 Forum

Anybody else had problems with the seat bolts?

burgershot

I just re-installed the battery last night after the winter and cannot get the bolts for the seat back into the frame, even by hand without the seat. Its as if the threads are damaged or they are the wrong bolts, it was late dark and cold so I'll investigate more when I get home tonight.
The bike literally came back from the dealership for the battery cable recall the day before I garaged it and I don't remember if the bolts felt tight when I removed them. I'm wondering if the threads may have been damaged by over tightening when this was done.

Has anybody else had any trouble here and what do you think my options are, try to get a slightly smaller bolt from home depot or something as drastic as a re-tap of the holes?

• Premium Member

It does seem to be a sort of common issue with people struggling with these bolts. You might be right and have to re-tap the holes..

The bolts are a bit fussy, as the holes are at a weird angle... you may be trying to inset them not 100% perpendicular to the opening. Try it in the daytime, slow and patiently... it should work.

Yes, I have this problem every now and then. Always seems to be the brake side bolt. It takes me about 3 tries before it finally finds the right angle and teeth to screw in like normal.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

I've found that they are at a weird angle. Try leaving the seat out and inserting them just a turn or two in and note the angle. Then when you attach the seat the correct angle will be easier to find. In fact you can put the seat loosely in place, put the bolt on the allen wrench and place it through the seat then lift the seat slightly so you can see the correct angle to get it started. I found it much easier if you do it using the allen wrench.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Those bolts are at a strange angle but first you have to ensure the seat hook in front is correctly mounted. Many people, myself included, haven't had the seat properly mounted first, then the bolts fit poorly or not at all. You can tell because there will be a larger than normal gap below the seat.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
Those bolts are at a strange angle but first you have to ensure the seat hook in front is correctly mounted. Many people, myself included, haven't had the seat properly mounted first, then the bolts fit poorly or not at all. You can tell because there will be a larger than normal gap below the seat.

This advice and patience will lead you to victory. The seat bolts are a bit of a pain, just take care not to damage the threads.

Everything went braap.

Jumping on this bandwagon. My left seat bolt was fine, but the right bolt was the biggest pain in the ass. As I was getting it out it was stuck and as I was getting it back in it got stuck. In the end, I was just patient with it.

fooschnickens

I've never had an issue with them, but I've also never used the allen keys that came with the bike. I have a set of sockets that I use so maybe the extra leverage helps with getting them properly aligned. Also be sure that the seat is properly "hooked" in place, if it isn't you WILL have problems getting those bolts in, regardless of what tools you use.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

I had difficulty with these bolts because of the angle. But like others have stated, make sure the seat is hooked properly and the bolts are at the proper angle.

So I took a look at the threads last night and they are pretty crushed. I can't even get the bolts in by hand with no seat. I'll get them re-tapped locally - the quote is only $15.
I just ziptied the seat on for now until I can get it fixed properly.

hobbs, I think you are also right though, I noticed my seat wasn't sitting right after I ziptied it. I'll make sure its on properly when this gets fixed.

Putting a tap back into a hole with badly damaged threads will more likely leave you with a hole and no threads or threads that just about to break off.

They will more likely go one bolt size up - if it's 6mm now, then the hole will have to be drilled to the size required for an 8mm tap and then threaded. .

If there's enough material, you could also have a threaded insert (Time or Helicoil) installed and retain the original size bolt.

An easier fix if theres room underneath, drill the hole clean, use a slightly longer bolt and then glue (epoxy) a nut to the bottom of the hole. It's just holding the seat afterall.

This is a perfect place for anti-sieze compound when you have healthy threads again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Global Moderator
I just re-installed the battery last night after the winter and cannot get the bolts for the seat back into the frame, even by hand without the seat. Its as if the threads are damaged or they are the wrong bolts, it was late dark and cold so I'll investigate more when I get home tonight. The bike literally came back from the dealership for the battery cable recall the day before I garaged it and I don't remember if the bolts felt tight when I removed them. I'm wondering if the threads may have been damaged by over tightening when this was done.

Has anybody else had any trouble here and what do you think my options are, try to get a slightly smaller bolt from home depot or something as drastic as a re-tap of the holes?

Ive had the bracket itself replaced twice by the dealer. After the battery cable recall the clutch side bolt came back stripped, the second time was after the 4k service, and it was the brake side bolt. it seems to be a low-grade nut welded to the bottom of the seat support bracket, combining that with the odd angle our seat bolts go in at = buggered threads. My dealer replaced my seat bracket twice after attempting first a re-tap of an m6x1.25 thread then a 'heli-coil' each time, the coil just didnt want to stay put. 

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Last fall one of our members had the seat bolts replaced with a velcro attachment.

• Global Moderator
Last fall one of our members had the seat bolts replaced with a velcro attachment. 

im not seeing how this could work unless they placed a full plate over the battery for the velcro to attach

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Guest Ralph

Even when you get the seat fitted right the padding at the back
pushes on the bolt and key so pushing it out of line just enough
to start the thread cross threaded, make sure you hold the padding
back clear of the bolt so you can get a straight shot at it.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

im not seeing how this could work unless they placed a full plate over the battery for the velcro to attach
It was @foxtrotzulu07. Maybe he could share pics or tell us how this was done?  :))

• 6 months later...

You should always start a bolt or nut by hand only at first and don't force it, finesse it. It either threads or it doesn't. It's just my way but I take them in as far as I can by hand before going to a wrench. Strengthens the fingers anyway so that no beer cap is too tuff. :D Good luck!

Beemer

It also helps to thread them backwards first .. try and "feel" the threads seat themselves.  I always use this method for finicky bolts, especially for something like a spark plug.  You don't want those to ever cross-thread.

You should always start a bolt or nut by hand only at first and don't force it, finesse it. It either threads or it doesn't. It's just my way but I take them in as far as I can by hand before going to a wrench. Strengthens the fingers anyway so that no beer cap is too tuff. :D Good luck!

I found them much easier to install using a ball end bit driver. It seems to help with that funky angle.
T handled, ball end hex keys as well as a set of angled ones are something that everyone should have in their tool kit. 

Archived