The MT-07 Forum

Pennsyltucky

krashed

Hello all, Lancaster, PA here. Just picked up the G-gray 7 last night! Coming off an 08 Super Duke R and a 90 NT650 Hawk GT.  Nice little bike, digging it so far and its a lot more comfortable for me than the NT and SDR. First mod is going to be those firming up those brakes and ditching that tail.

IMG_20140717_183557.jpg

• Global Moderator

Nice ! Welcome, glad you could join our community. Your are going to love it here.

There are some write ups of the tail tidy already. I am planning doing mine today.
I have no issues with the brakes, they feel fine to me, I especially like the rear.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

The rear brake is decent for sure, thinking braided line and pads. Fronts have too much give for me and lack of bite, but I'm spoiled by the radial brembos on the sdr. I will at least do lines and pads, maybe a radial master.

Im not finding much in the way of lines, so I will probably end up making my own if I dont find anything on here/something doesnt show up in my search.

First mod is going to be those firming up those brakes 
IMG_20140717_183557.jpg

Hi Krashed , welcome . When I first rode my 07 I thought the front brakes were krap too, but I have since changed my mind. My brakes needed to bed in a little, I only had 4 miles on the bike. The first 100 miles the pads weren't touching all of the rotors. I could see the high spots on my rotors where the pads were touching. Once the pads wore a little and I was making 100% contact with the rotors, the brakes were fine.  Have a look at your rotors and see if this is the case. 

If you change the brakes please post with pics , more feel would be nice at the lever. I still lockup the rear now and then, I'm still getting used to the bike.
Ride safe man! Sweet picture , please post more!

RRokay Raggie

Yeah I burnished them on the way home from the dealer as well as got rid of the mold release on the tires.

I am going to order a set of speigler lines for the fizzer9 today and will test fit them up. I think the fork on the 9 is two inches longer (28.5 on 7 vs 30.5 on 9), but I can find room for that in the front end. I am going to discount double check before I order. Speigler has a race setup and a stock crossover setup. I've run both and don't have a pref for one or the other on the street. Will likely get the race setup tho.

On another note, I got the fork measurements off the 9 board since they want to swap suspension. Someone measured the USD forks from a 2005 r1 and they are 28.5 inches. Not good for a fz-09 since they are so short, but same length as a fz-07. You'd still need the top clamp that allowed bars vs clipons at that length. Just saying.

When you install those brake lines, would you mind doing an instructional video or taking pics and posting here in Tech tips? This would greatly help our new riders that may want to do the same. 
thanks and great bike!

Should be able to handle that. Hopfully they aren't backordered or something crazy like that and
don't take long to come in.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I guess this junk isn't gonna install itself... Time to get busy.  Still don't have brake lines yet, USPS is showing as arriving tomorrow... Gives me time to do the HID and turn signal install.

IMG_20140730_171203.jpg

• Premium Member

Let us know where you mount your ballast. All sorts of nice additions there!

• Global Moderator
Well, I guess this junk isn't gonna install itself... Time to get busy.

Cool stuff. Please do some write ups of you feel like it. People love 'How To's" ;)

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

"When I first rode my 07 I thought the front brakes were krap too, but I have since changed my mind. My brakes needed to bed in a little, I only had 4 miles on the bike. The first 100 miles the pads weren't touching all of the rotors. I could see the high spots on my rotors where the pads were touching. Once the pads wore a little and I was making 100% contact with the rotors, the brakes were fine."

Ahh, this explains things for me! I, too, felt the brakes a bit slushy at first. Thanks!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Got a late start today, but the HID mod is coming along. I don't recommend a projector unless you can get a small, small one. It's tight.

IMG_20140731_212411.jpg

"When I first rode my 07 I thought the front brakes were krap too, but I have since changed my mind. My brakes needed to bed in a little, I only had 4 miles on the bike. The first 100 miles the pads weren't touching all of the rotors. I could see the high spots on my rotors where the pads were touching. Once the pads wore a little and I was making 100% contact with the rotors, the brakes were fine." 
Ahh, this explains things for me! I, too, felt the brakes a bit slushy at first. Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up...will explain why I might have a "pucker moment" tomorrow :)

Archived