The MT-07 Forum

Thinking about selling my FZ07...

magsz18

Morning guys!  Let me preface this little dialog by saying that i need to be talked off of the ledge.  I like my bike, i really do and i believe that it is a great machine but once you lose confidence in something it is very hard to get back.

So, having said that.  I am thinking about dumping my bike due to the stalling issue.

Losing power while actively riding the bike and having the engine shut off is just about the worst thing possible short of the bike falling apart on you while riding.

I am not skilled enough to chase down the issue myself, the dealers will not acknowledge that there IS an issue and i just dont feel like taking the bike out when its potentially going to quit on me.  Down here in South Florida i WILL get run over, rear ended or shot if the bike does this at the wrong time.  So far, ive been lucky and have been able to get the bike off of the road in order to re-start it but i am slowly losing my nine lives here...

At this point, im thinking that the bike could be a huge money and time sink trying to chase down this issue and id rather ride than spend half my life trying to fix a toy.

Does anyone out there have any sage words for me?  This is my first bike so im not sure if im experiencing grass is greener on the other side syndrome and i will still have problems with any bike i get.  I simply dont know what i dont know and im not sure if this is just the life of a biker, ie the nature of the beast.

Morning guys!  Let me preface this little dialog by saying that i need to be talked off of the ledge.  I like my bike, i really do and i believe that it is a great machine but once you lose confidence in something it is very hard to get back. 
So, having said that.  I am thinking about dumping my bike due to the stalling issue.

Losing power while actively riding the bike and having the engine shut off is just about the worst thing possible short of the bike falling apart on you while riding.

I am not skilled enough to chase down the issue myself, the dealers will not acknowledge that there IS an issue and i just dont feel like taking the bike out when its potentially going to quit on me.  Down here in South Florida i WILL get run over, rear ended or shot if the bike does this at the wrong time.  So far, ive been lucky and have been able to get the bike off of the road in order to re-start it but i am slowly losing my nine lives here...

At this point, im thinking that the bike could be a huge money and time sink trying to chase down this issue and id rather ride than spend half my life trying to fix a toy.

Does anyone out there have any sage words for me?  This is my first bike so im not sure if im experiencing grass is greener on the other side syndrome and i will still have problems with any bike i get.  I simply dont know what i dont know and im not sure if this is just the life of a biker, ie the nature of the beast.
Weren't you at the focus group in Hollywood? I think so... In any event...mine had the stalling issue but over time I think (knock on wood) it's gone bye bye. It's really an outstanding machine & if you hold on to it...get the ECU to "learn" not to stall the engine, you may find that your stalling issue goes away as well.

Yep!!!!

I was the dude in the black jacket, Ian if you recall.

This IS a great machine but im not sure i want to sit around and chase down phantom issues when i could be riding something else that doesnt have what i perceive to be a major, fundamental problem. Id like to think im not over reacting but who knows, this is my first bike.

Yep!!!! 
I was the dude in the black jacket, Ian if you recall.

This IS a great machine but im not sure i want to sit around and chase down phantom issues when i could be riding something else that doesnt have what i perceive to be a major, fundamental problem. Id like to think im not over reacting but who knows, this is my first bike.
I thought that was you (you were sitting next to me;-) Good hearing from ya, Ian! I'm Mike...the guy who was pounding the "THIS THING HAS A STALLING ISSUE" drum during the focus group! ;-) Your line of reasoning is sound & nobody could blame ya if you decide to dump your 07 for the stalling issue. I just don't know how many miles you have on your bike, whether or not you've bounced the tach off the rev-limiter enough times, and basically put in the required amount of time needed to get the ECU (or whatever it is) to keep that engine from stalling on you at the most inopportune times.
Maybe you could get out of town with your 07 and ride the hell out of it over some long weekend before you make your final decision to sell?

Ive got 2400 miles on the bike. There was a TB sync at 600 and the rest of the required maintenance done at that point. I havent redlined the bike yet but i have driven it fairly hard, ie cracking the throttle on on ramps. I do most of my riding on the highway to the gym five days a week so i dont get to spend much time in second or third gear. This is probably why i feel like the issue is so dangerous. I might have 2400 miles on the bike but my low speed skill set isnt exactly amazing. Quite frankly, it scary as hell when the bike cuts out like this.

Mike, good to hear from you too man! I remember listening to you at the focus group and thinking to myself man, "i really hope i dont have that issue down the road!" Sure enough...four months of ownership and boom...

Damnit Yamaha! :)

If there was something else i was really interested id, i would cut my losses and jump the fence but i bought this bike for a reason. What suck about this is that there doesnt seem to be a definitive fix.

Ive got 2400 miles on the bike. There was a TB sync at 600 and the rest of the required maintenance done at that point. I havent redlined the bike yet but i have driven it fairly hard, ie cracking the throttle on on ramps. I do most of my riding on the highway to the gym five days a week so i dont get to spend much time in second or third gear. This is probably why i feel like the issue is so dangerous. I might have 2400 miles on the bike but my low speed skill set isnt exactly amazing. Quite frankly, it scary as hell when the bike cuts out like this. 
Mike, good to hear from you too man! I remember listening to you at the focus group and thinking to myself man, "i really hope i dont have that issue down the road!" Sure enough...four months of ownership and boom...

Damnit Yamaha! :)

If there was something else i was really interested id, i would cut my losses and jump the fence but i bought this bike for a reason. What suck about this is that there doesnt seem to be a definitive fix.
Try this Ian--next time you coast down to a stop sign or red light, keep your throttle cracked open a titch and don't let the engine idle. It won't quit on you that way when the light turns green & you need to take off. Keep the revs up and feather the clutch and she'll respond to your every command...I assure you. Then one day, if yours islike mine, you'll notice the issue has gone bye bye & you don't need to employ thattechnique any longer. YOU keep it from stalling.  

• Premium Member

Have you checked your side stand switch, make sure its securely seated? Have you had your recall done yet? I've got 5300 miles on my bike and only have 3 stalls. Granted that's 3 too many, but if its a manufacture issue and this many people are having it I don't see the consumer having to pay to get this fixed. Mine seems to only stall when its 200+(degrees) and I'm at a stop. I have yet to see a stall in about 1500 miles though.

@magsz18 Check your clutch lever switch, its on the underside of the left handlebar. There is a plug that goes into the lever assembly that didnt get plugged in at the factory or the dealer on quite a few bikes from what ive seen. Mine was one of those and since i plugged in the switch i havent had an instance in probably 1k miles. Its worth a shot, mine stalled 5-6 times before that.

87' Honda VFR 700 F2 (sold)
03' Honda CBR F4I (donated)
05' Yamaha R1 (sold)
15' FZ-o7

• Premium Member
snowdriftless
Have you checked your side stand switch, make sure its securely seated? Have you had your recall done yet? I've got 5300 miles on my bike and only have 3 stalls. Granted that's 3 too many, but if its a manufacture issue and this many people are having it I don't see the consumer having to pay to get this fixed. Mine seems to only stall when its 200+(degrees) and I'm at a stop. I have yet to see a stall in about 1500 miles though.
I second this. The side stand switch will cut the ignition if the bike is in gear and the side stand is down. The other issue with the recall seems to do with the (-) lead to the battery being too short. If one terminal on the battery loses connectivity it could also cause the ignition to cut out. 
Don't loose hope!

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Premium Member

At less than a year old I would take the bike back to the dealer and say fix it, give me a full refund or a replacement bike. Let the dealer and Yamaha work it out.

I read all twelve pages of the "stalling" thread.

I checked both the clutch switch and the side stand switch and both appear to be fine unless there is something fubar inside of the assemblies.

The bike was manufactured in i think, October of 2014 and i bought it in December of 2014. The bike is a post recall bike.

I am about to call Yamaha Corporate and see what they have to say.

UPDATE:

I just got off of the phone with Yamaha.

They have never heard of this issue.  In fact, no one has ever called them about it either apparently as they do not have any phone records of any consumer EVER calling them stating that this was a problem.  So, either no one in the US knows how to use a phone or they're a bunch of lying corporate bastards...

They suggested that i take the bike to the dealership so that they could diagnose the issue.

My response to that was, "diagnose what issue?  Yamaha doesnt even acknowledge that there is a problem".

So, in essence, i get to go to the dealer, dump a bunch of money on nothing and get back a bike with a serious defect...

I also figure ill get the third degree and intentionally insulted because i "modified" my bike with an aftermarket exhaust and clutch/brake levers.  The bike stalled with the OEM parts too.....sigh.

• Premium Member

That's a bummer. I've definitely had my fair share of stalling issues with not just this bike, but with my other bike. I too get the same, "I've never heard of this problem" from every single mechanic I've gone to about it too. I've never called, but that's because the issue goes away.

One thing I've heard from a dealership is being too low in RPMs when down shifting can cause the bike to stall. Just hit the power button while you're rolling and it should start right back up.

But everything you've stated is totally understandable.
I feel your pain. Best of luck with whatever you do decide!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

I would direct Yamaha to these forums. Having not heard of this blows my mind. Especially since the MT07 suffered from this as well. They have a post with 33 pages on this topic.

• Global Moderator

Yes, the stalling issues are well documented on forums. Here and the European one. And I know for a fact that they do read this forum. So if Yamaha is saying that they have no knowledge of this, is simply untrue.

Don't loose hope and dump the bike because it has this problem. A lot of members have had the problem, including me. I have asked the dealer to increase the idle with 100 rpm which apparently has solved it for now. But I am sure that once this problem gains more momentum, Yamaha will come with a more permanent solution.

does the bike run like crap and just die while riding down the road or
just peter out when you come up to a stop
when new mine did the die at stop 3 times, but hasn't done that for a long time
did see a video on a bike that was misfiring and would die on road
I think that was a coil problem
the die at stop, for me always felt like a low idle or clutch wasn't disengaging all the way problem
but it stopped doing it
did however piss me off when it did it though
better not start now that I posted about it

Yes, the stalling issues are well documented on forums. Here and the European one. And I know for a fact that they do read this forum. So if Yamaha is saying that they have no knowledge of this, is simply untrue. 
Don't loose hope and dump the bike because it has this problem. A lot of members have had the problem, including me. I have asked the dealer to increase the idle with 100 rpm which apparently has solved it for now. But I am sure that once this problem gains more momentum, Yamaha will come with a more permanent solution.
My dealers wont increase the idle or touch my ECU. 
Yamaha insisted that i take the bike in for diagnosis of an issue that they dont and wont even acknowledge...Yeah...makes a ton of sense...

To answer the other question.  The bike just cuts off when downshifting from third to second, ie when im slowing down for a turn.  The bike has never died when i am holding the clutch in at a stop.

I will admit that it COULD be me, ie the engine speed is simply too low when i am shifting from third to second at the moment that i start to release the clutch but as i asked already, the bike shouldnt just QUIT.  It doesnt stutter, it doesnt do anything but simply turn off.

• Global Moderator

I don't understand why a dealer would not increase your idle if you ask then to do so. Why don't you have them take it in for diagnose and see what they have to say, even if it doesn't make sense to you? At least they will be looking into the problem. Or you could ask another dealer to help you if you don;t trust the one you are using now. I am sure there are members in Florida who have good dealer experiences and can recommend someone.

I don't understand why a dealer would not increase your idle if you ask then to do so. Why don't you have them take it in for diagnose and see what they have to say, even if it doesn't make sense to you? At least they will be looking into the problem. Or you could ask another dealer to help you if you don;t trust the one you are using now. I am sure there are members in Florida who have good dealer experiences and can recommend someone.
Both dealers within 40 miles of me would not touch the ECU when i asked. 
Both dealers insist i bring the bike in for an issue that doesnt exist according to them and Yamaha.  Both dealers insist that i have to pay for diagnostic time at 50 dollars per 30 minutes.  At which point, they can rack up however much time they want, bill me for it and then tell me its my Exhaust and Pazzo levers without actually offering me a solution.  The dealers around here bleed lies and i swear, fell off of the Black Pearl.  They are a bunch of ass pirates.

I am willing to travel up to 300 miles or more if someone down here can recommend a good dealer that will work with me and not offer me lies and bullshit.

What really chaps my ass is that the woman that i spoke to at Yamaha insisted that i have a Warranty that could cover the diagnostic time.  My response was, how the hell is the Warranty going to cover an issue you dont believe exists?  This just sounds like a circle jerk of stupid.

Thanks for listening to me vent guys.  Id like to find a solution to this as i really do like this bike, a lot.  I took it out tonight to the gym and there was only one instance where the rev's dropped dangerously low and i thought the bike was going to quit.  I twisted the crap out of the throttle and saved it.  I guess this makes for a more entertaining riding experience? :P  Im trying to find the silver lining here!

• Premium Member

can you put the original clutch and/or exhaust back on until the problem is identified/corrected? at least that way it would be out of the equation and not a point of debate.

can you put the original clutch and/or exhaust back on until the problem is identified/corrected? at least that way it would be out of the equation and not a point of debate.
Sure can, but what a pain in the dick. :P 
That still wont solve the problem with my complete lack of willingness to pay for the diagnostics.  I feel like the money would probably be better spent on an EJK since no one has really identified a concrete fix to this issue.

• Global Moderator

When I downshift I blip the throttle to rev match, so it never comes close to idle rpm. Also does it not restart as soon as you release the clutch in second gear?

This problem went away for me after my first service, but if it had persisted, I would have probably just gotten the EJK sooner. I've not heard anyone have this problem after installing that.

thomascrown

Your technique sounds highly suspect. From what I can deduce, this is a problem with how you ride, not necessarily the bike being faulty. Story doesn't add up.

Archived