The MT-07 Forum

Red light changers?

so1102

• Premium Member

Has anyone tried to use a neodymium magnet to get red lights to change?   The lights around me all use those sensors embedded in the road that detect magnetic fields (given off by large metal things like cars and trucks, but not motorcycles).

I have one that I got from Amazon, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a good place to mount it, as it is supposed to be mounted underneath the bike using an adhesive that will fail if it gets too hot (so you can't stick it on the case or exhaust)

Sitting at a red light and having it not turn green without a car there is such a PITA.

• Premium Member

No, they aren't -- it's just a magnet you put on the bottom of your bike. It doesn't make the light instantly change -- it just prevents you from sitting there at a red light for an hour.

I've run the light when nobody was around, but even the cops won't give you a break if they catch you -- at least here in AZ -- apparently it's allowed in other states, wherein you can run the red light if you've waited through multiple cycles and the light hasn't changed (I always get stuck at left turns).

Hard to plan a route which is only made of right turns :)

Aren't those illegal? If a light doesn't change for me I just run it.
You just broke the ironosphere with that one. 

• Global Moderator

In my state you can go after the light cycles twice twice. If course if there is no other traffic the light will not cycle, so I am not sure what the law says about that. I often have to sit until I either give up and just go our sometone finally shows up behind me.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Where I live, if a light is "inoperative" we can run it when safe to do so.

I've had to do this plenty of times, especially downtown on left turns.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

Yeah, unfortunately that's only allowed in like 12 states, and not the one I live in :(

I've not actually had that problem with this bike though. If I stop right in the center of the circle or hexagon, it won't activate, but I always stop on either the left or right third of it so that as much of the bike is over the sensor as possible. Works every time around here, but I'm sure there are less sensitive ones in some areas.

• Global Moderator

Some of ours have been paved over, so you cannot see the sensor. Apparently I am not very good at guessing where they are.

Some of ours have been paved over, so you cannot see the sensor. Apparently I am not very good at guessing where they are.
Ooh, that's rough. I know that's a problem in my dad's area too. Before he got his Goldwing, he had one of the magnets on his bikes. The Goldwing has no problem with them though.

rotaryryan24
Has anyone tried to use a neodymium magnet to get red lights to change?   The lights around me all use those sensors embedded in the road that detect magnetic fields (given off by large metal things like cars and trucks, but not motorcycles). 
I have one that I got from Amazon, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a good place to mount it, as it is supposed to be mounted underneath the bike using an adhesive that will fail if it gets too hot (so you can't stick it on the case or exhaust)

Sitting at a red light and having it not turn green without a car there is such a PITA.

put it on your oil filter, two birds with one stone.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

• Premium Member

Yeah, unfortunately that's only allowed in like 12 states, and not the one I live in :(
What states?
From what I've been able to discern,  AR, ID, IL, MN, MO, NV, NC, OK, SC, TN, VA, and WA.  I also read that GA just passed a law (that hasn't yet been signed by the governor).  I also saw something that possibly includes CA, UT, and WI among those states, but I cannot be sure.  If you live in one of these states, you might want to double check. 
All I know is that it is definitely against the law here in AZ

put it on your oil filter, two birds with one stone.
Now there's a good idea! 
As for the whole law thing, I live in IN where it is most certainly not allowed to go through a light that doesn't function.  But, I do it all the time (so long as it's safe to do so).  Obviously there are no guarantees but I'm willing to bet I'm not going to run into a cop who would ticket me for doing so.  Just remember a good amount of cops ride too, so as long as you're not out acting a fool they are usually on your side. 

• Premium Member

I just found a good strong neodymium magnet my kid had for a science project and stuck it to the oil filter. It actually worked at one light! Hopefully this does the trick.

Helluva idea, @rotaryryan24!

• Premium Member
Here in Idaho if a traffic light doesn't detect us we just shoot em out and then ride off.
Waving your 10 gallon hat in the air and yelling "yee haw!", right?

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

There is a link Here:

Kickstand/Magnet

It looks like their results was that you had to have movement with the magnet to work. The best strategy is to make sure you pull your bike so as much as possible is directly above the coil, then move a magnet or kickstand to get the light to trip.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Archived