The MT-07 Forum

Guess I'm Crazy

Guru

suspiciouspackage

Some background info (wonder if it sounds repetitive):

21 year old in college over at San Diego State. Working full time to save up for some tuition and a future wedding. I just graduated the MSF course quite literally a day ago. Sitting on an Eliminator 125 and Rebel 250 made me wanna shoot myself since I just felt oversized on them. I learned a great deal and obviously more practice never hurt, but I knew I couldn't see myself riding either for more than a couple days. Never ridden a motorcycle before other than a couple practice sessions on my friend's GS500. Riding that through a parking lot made me fall in love with motorcycles. I knew I would love it before I even got on and when I finally got behind the controls, I knew I was at home.

Even though the MSF course is nowhere near a good indicator of how good you are of a rider in the real world, I feel like it's worth posting. Perfect in the weaving, swerving, hard braking, and long sweeping turns. Only place I got points is in the slow speed 90º turn. I knew I needed work on it, but it wasn't terrible. It was mostly trying to figure out where the clutch's friction zone was (I switched from the Eliminator to Rebel, bad choice). Anything with turns was fun and I knew I loved doing it.

So today, I head into Fun Bike Center in San Diego, just planned to get an idea of what I'd personally want. Even called earlier about the R3 and they were taking deposits. Ended up staying there for 3 hours because I was just in love checking bikes (half the time was getting the bike financed though). Ninja 300, CBR500R, and I finally saw it. My unicorn, the FZ-07 in white. Priced at $6,399, I couldn't pass it up considering there's another dealership down south (not gonna mention a name but someone would know which one I'm talking about) that was trying to sell it with a markup from MSRP to almost $8,000! Hell no. Told them I'd finance it, put $1,650 down and worked out to a $200/month payment (definitely gonna pay more though to avoid paying more interest). Got an insurance quote too for $60/month with full coverage from Farmers. Lucky for me the agent I got loves bikes and is a big Suzuki fan (still not better than Yamaha though). Need to go to the DMV to get my endorsement out of the way and hopefully tomorrow I'll be riding her back.

I made the decision based on not wanting a supersport class and I would prefer something that performs like my GTI. Easy to work with, predictable power curve, and useful power. Not exactly surprising but the FZ has a similar looking dyno sheet to my GTI. Power is linear and the torque is available on tap without having to rev the nuts off. I looked at the Ninja 300 first. $5,000 for a 300cc? Not bad but I don't want to finance something that I'll probably want to sell in a year. CBR500R next. $6,000 for 500cc? Not bad either but then the FZ in the ~650cc class for only a couple hundred more? Sign me up! I already know that if my mindset from cars transitions to bikes, I'll be a sane person around others and save the shenanigans for the track. I respect motorcycles and the power they have so I'm not the mouth breather who has never ridden a bike and thinks that he can handle the upper rev range of a supersport fresh out of the MSF course.

I'm trying to figure out what I need to buy so I can do maintenance by myself. I'm a car guy so I don't care about getting dirty, but obviously you can't use a jack. I was looking into rear stands and I heard Pit Bull is the best you can get. Thinking about what else to get. I already got a cover and chain lube. Security-wise, I was trying to figure out what would be the most practical and I'm leaning towards a disc lock. If anyone can help me transition into the world of motorcycles, I would greatly appreciate it. Looking very forward to owning this bike!

Update! 7APR2015

I just rode it back home about 25 miles and it was mostly highway. Damn, this bike is amazing. This makes the 300 class look like they should be used for the MSF course. Throttle response is amazing, clutch friction zone is right where I want it, and best of all, she's tossable and I feel at home. Everything is predictable with it. The only issue I had was the lack of wind protection. Anything over 50mph and I was like damn, this would suck if I had to road trip or something. Had to get into a 3/4 type of position just so the wind wouldn't smack my chest. Definitely gonna need earplugs for any type of highway riding. More things to buy now. I saw Yamaha's front cowl but I'm wondering if that would make any difference in wind protection. I saw Puig and their sport/touring windscreen. Anyone have input on the sport? Thinking it would look better if anything.

• Premium Member

I'm taking a class right now but transferring to SDSU in the fall! Same age too. I ended up getting mine at the "dealer down south" at the markup but I've always liked the customer service there. Plus I had a trade in which I'm sure plays a role in how much any dealer is willing to do OTD. It'll be cool seeing another white FZ in the motorcycle lot :). Just try not to show mine up with any sick mods (hahaha jk ((kinda)))

suspiciouspackage
I'm taking a class right now but transferring to SDSU in the fall! Same age too. I ended up getting mine at the "dealer down south" at the markup but I've always liked the customer service there. Plus I had a trade in which I'm sure plays a role in how much any dealer is willing to do OTD. It'll be cool seeing another white FZ in the motorcycle lot :). Just try not to show mine up with any sick mods (hahaha jk ((kinda)))
I like their customer service too. I special ordered my SMX3s from them and I've had no issues. I just couldn't justify paying almost $2k more. By the way, which lot/structure do you plan to park in? I'm just trying to stay away from PS4. Maybe lot F or A if anything.

I picked up a white one in El Cajon a few days ago. Maybe we should go for a ride.

I go to Southwestern though...trying to transfer to SDSU.

suspiciouspackage
You were able to get $6k otd at fun bike center?!
If I got the Ninja or CBR, I probably would have. I forgot the numbers and I'm too lazy to dig through the papers. Call me a sucker but I got an extended warranty (5 years) but it's my first bike and even though I'll probably never use it, it's just nice to know it's there. Just like insurance and gear. Never think you'll need it, but when you do, you'll be glad you got it.

thomascrown

Fun bike center has a fun trick where they price the bike 1k below msrp, but get 2k in bs fees. That's the only way they can keep the lights on, given their overhead.

You'll need carbtune for throttle body syncing. Pitbull stand for chain maintenance. Those 2 will get you to 12k miles, then you have to figure out how to hoist the bike to dismantle and lube the rear linkage. In retrospect, i should have skipped the pitbull and gone with an sw motech center stand.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome! You've got the right attitude about respecting the power of the bike because this one will rip your arms out of their sockets if you're not careful. Were you able to get a test ride before you bought?

I recommend wearing all your gear, all the time. Helmet, boots, jacket, gloves and pants. ATGATT

BTW, you're not crazy.....well, maybe a little bit like the rest of us!

Illegitimi non carborundum

You're far from crazy. As a newb, i recognize the ridiculousness of this statement but i just dont understand the whole "you have to buy a 300 as your first bike or you will DIE" comments. I really do believe those statements are too sweeping and a first bike purchase should take the temperament of the rider into account.

Enjoy the bike, use it in good health and as HBC said, wear your gear.

suspiciouspackage
Welcome! You've got the right attitude about respecting the power of the bike because this one will rip your arms out of their sockets if you're not careful. Were you able to get a test ride before you bought?  
I recommend wearing all your gear, all the time. Helmet, boots, jacket, gloves and pants. ATGATT

I actually need dedicated pants. Any recommendations? I have everything else. Actually want more helmets and jackets.

suspiciouspackage
You're far from crazy. As a newb, i recognize the ridiculousness of this statement but i just dont understand the whole "you have to buy a 300 as your first bike or you will DIE" comments. I really do believe those statements are too sweeping and a first bike purchase should take the temperament of the rider into account. 
I never understood it either. To me, it's about understanding the mindset of the person. Give this bike to someone who thinks the throttle is a two position thing like 100% off or 100% on and they'll crash within a couple minutes.

I never understood it either. To me, it's about understanding the mindset of the person. Give this bike to someone who thinks the throttle is a two position thing like 100% off or 100% on and they'll crash within a couple minutes.
That same person will probably wrap their 300 around a tree as well.

• Premium Member

I actually need dedicated pants. Any recommendations? I have everything else. Actually want more helmets and jackets.

Draggin jeans are among the best bang for the buck. The new slim fit look good too. I don't like their traditional style much.

Everything went braap.

Welcome to the FZ-07 club! :) It's an absolutely phenomenal bike. I moved up from a GS500 and it's worlds better! 
If you want a full lift, I'd recommend saving up and getting the Bursig Center-lift! It's an amazing piece of craftsmanship and the company stands behind it 100%. If you think about it, getting a set of Pitbulls, you're already paying about $300 without the ability to tear the bike down almost completely! 

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Welcome to the forum. For pants I prefer a set of over-pants because I need to be in slacks and a button up at work. I also don't believe the "Everyone should start out on a 300". A few weeks after I completed the MSF course I took my friends Honda 919 out for a spin around the block and had no problems. That being said, I drive a manual car and know how a manual transmission works and I am a pretty slow and calm driver.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

suspiciouspackage

Update! (I'll edit the first post too)

I just rode it back home about 25 miles and it was mostly highway. Damn, this bike is amazing. This makes the 300 class look like they should be used for the MSF course. Throttle response is amazing, clutch friction zone is right where I want it, and best of all, she's tossable and I feel at home. Everything is predictable with it. The only issue I had was the lack of wind protection. Anything over 50mph and I was like damn, this would suck if I had to road trip or something. Had to get into a 3/4 type of position just so the wind wouldn't smack my chest. Definitely gonna need earplugs for any type of highway riding. More things to buy now. I saw Yamaha's front cowl but I'm wondering if that would make any difference in wind protection. I saw Puig and their sport/touring windscreen. Anyone have input on the sport? Thinking it would look better if anything.

• Premium Member

The sport screen and anything of similar size is mostly an aesthetics thing. To get the wind off your chest, many have reported that the touring model is decent. Then there's the madstadd screen which would probably be best. I plan to pick up the MRA double bubble eventually, it's gotten pretty good reports.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless
... The only issue I had was the lack of wind protection. Anything over 50mph and I was like damn, this would suck if I had to road trip or something. Had to get into a 3/4 type of position just so the wind wouldn't smack my chest. Definitely gonna need earplugs for any type of highway riding. More things to buy now. I saw Yamaha's front cowl but I'm wondering if that would make any difference in wind protection. I saw Puig and their sport/touring windscreen. Anyone have input on the sport? Thinking it would look better if anything.
PUIG touring or Givi A2118 are probably your best options IMHO

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

suspiciouspackage

I kinda wanna give it a month. Cause it wasn't the wind on my chest that bothered me. It was the wind hitting my helmet. I just got earplugs so I'm gonna try it another day with it.

If it still sucks after a month, I'll buy it from you for $5000. Please?

2013 Subaru BRZ
2007 CBR 600RR
φφκα

New to bikes warranty is awesome piece of mind...depends on dealer I guess my guy aside we make it hassel free if shi$# happens...first year nothing will happen..its those other 4 years I'm worried about...congrads tho

suspiciouspackage
If it still sucks after a month, I'll buy it from you for $5000. Please?
I got earplugs. So problem solved.  :P 

In other news, I got my Yoshi fender eliminator kit, R&G radiator protector, and armored base layer pant things. For anyone with the same rad protector, did you use the foam strips included?

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

I love how many SD riders we got on here! SDSU alum here, congrats on the new ride.

I did not use the foam strips but I purchased the evotech guard.

• Global Moderator

I did use the foam on the Evotech guard. I am not sure it matters though, it was a good enough fit that it is not going to rattle.

Archived