The MT-07 Forum

Made a custom iPod Mount today

alexm963

I've been wanting to do this for a while and finally had some time at work this week. Turned out pretty good I think. 

Started with the idea on mounting it on the left mirror stem. First piece I made was to go in between the Mirror and the jamnut. Rough cut first
wdV4ds3.jpg
Wu9JgeK.jpg
Then after some time on the lathe, mill, and belt sander I ended up with this. 
SV282jz.jpg
b9tonVf.jpg
Didn't get pics of the second piece by itself but I want to do some chamfer/fillet work before its done. Got it mounted a few minutes ago and set where I want it. 
czw3M4A.jpg
R4wyjOD.jpg
You can see I took off the factory jamnut and replaced it with 2 shorter ones. The top one holds the mount to the mirror, and the bottom does the job of the OEM nut. 
raKPO1b.jpg

After I do some finish work on the second piece I'll make them black. Haven't decided on paint, powdercoat, or anodized yet. Before anyone asks, no I can't make this for anyone else. I spent too many work hours using machines I'm not supposed to already. Let me know what you think of it though. I'll take a video of my ride home and see what the vibration looks like. Hopefully not too bad. 

• Global Moderator

Wow, that's impressive. You have excellent skills, thanks for sharing.

• Global Moderator

Nice job. When that is black it will look like it came from the factory like that. Too bad you cannot make any more, I think you could make some money with it.

Powdercoat that *****!

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

Thanks everybody. I've taken a few videos but they get a little shaky under acceleration. I'll need to figure out some vibration isolators. Still want to clean up the block piece too. I have a friend that I'm going to teach to ride and this will be great to take video of her as she learns.

Archived