The MT-07 Forum

things go bad

tommyvto

So today I tolk the corner way to wide and speed up ...didn't lean enough to turn...anyways a curb I jumped and ran down the sidewalk....main thing I stayed on the bike a slowed down..wooooh lol

• Premium Member

Yeah that could have gone from bad, to worse, to terrible in an instant.

Luckily no pedestrians were about.

Glad you managed to maintain.

Everything went braap.

So today I tolk the corner way to wide and speed up ...didn't lean enough to turn...anyways a curb I jumped and ran down the sidewalk....main thing I stayed on the bike a slowed down..wooooh lol

Was there any damage to the bike?

• Premium Member

Glad you were able to keep it under control. If found myself going a little wide on a turn the other day, a car was pulled out too far and when i made the left turn around him i was going a little quicker than i thought. Stayed away from the curb luckily

• Global Moderator

Yes, be careful, these things happen in an instant and I am sure you feel stupid afterwards. Good thing there was no traffic

• 2 years later...

Looking for a good place to post and figured this is as good as any instead of starting new thread.  Just a friendly reminder... TARGET FIXATION is real and it can turn your day bad in a hurry.  Had a fixation moment while riding a curvy and irregular surfaced road.  I had a momentary lapse of looking/driving through the corner to being fixated straight ahead.  I had a choice to try and lean the bike to take the curve fast and sudden or run wide into some rough gravel and largish rocks on a very narrow shoulder.  I took a chance on running wide, applied brakes to scrub speed and luckily came away unscathed.  In retrospect I think that leaning would have been the better choice, but I don't have 100% confidence that the bike would have remained stable through the curve due to surface irregularities.  Ride safe friends.

• 1 month later...

As Zephyr said. When I was coaching beginner's in MTB first rule "Look where you want to go, not where you don't."

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Yeah, it took over 2 yrs. to respond (I was having a beer) but better late than never, right?

Treat every curve as if you're on a Harley.

Beemer

Archived