The MT-07 Forum

Angeles Crest / Rides

attila

Hello,
Looks like it's time for a new thread about a SoCal ride. The other one is 13 pages long and still no ride. I live 5 miles from the Rock Store but prefer riding Angeles Crest / Boquet Canyon / Little Tujunga and thereabouts. I usually ride Saturday or Sunday mornings. Brisk pace. Join me if you want. :)

P.S. I'm going to Streets of Willow on April 25, 2015. May take the Ninjette instead of the FZ, but either way it will be fun. That weekend they are also having the CorsaMoto-Classia -- http://corsamotoclassica.com/-- which is really fun. Old bikes racing, old bikes on display, swap meet etc... If you like bikes, you will like this! Sign up for the SOW track and between sessions take a look at the Corsa happening on the big track. Guaranteed excellent time! 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hawwwwoh?? Is anybody out there? Is this a riding thread or an oil-painting! Come on! At least give me a hello for trying. Sheesh! I thought people who bought FZ-07's actually wanted to ride. Hmmm. Good thing I'm not relying on this site for self-affirmation.

Hello, Id like to go. Im a newb so ill go at a slower pace and I'm still in the breakin period (250 miles). is ACH a difficult road to learn on? Thanks.

• Premium Member

ACH moves at a pretty good pace, lots of twisties. Probably not the best road for a beginner. Big Tujunga Canyon Rd is just as challenging with a lot less traffic. A better choice IMO.
I will be on ACH sometime today. Not sure if my buddies will get it together so I may go alone and check to see if it is open at Islip Saddle yet to Wrightwood.

• Premium Member

Just got back from ACH. Three weeks ago we were at the turnout just before Islip saddle taking a water break. Along came about 12 bikes going West at fast pace, one rider (newb) slammed the back brake on in a panic in a big sweeper, ran off the road and fortunately crashed in the dirt before going over the cliff. Tore the front of the crotch rocket but fortunately just injured his pride.
Today, just West of the Mt. Wilson turnoff a guy from that same group of riders lost it in a turn. The bike was totaled, forks into the motor and wedged under the guard rail. The rider was 20 feet further up in bad shape being tended to. I see crashes almost every single trip up this road.
We have a new rider in our group. We always split into two groups when we have a new guy. Experienced riders in front and at least one experienced rider leading the second group of newbies. We do everything we can to keep the new guys at a safe speed and coach them.
It is so disappointing to see so many people hurt riding over their skill level.
"A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"  - Clint Eastwood

Hello, Id like to go. Im a newb so ill go at a slower pace and I'm still in the breakin period (250 miles). is ACH a difficult road to learn on? Thanks.
Hello,
I agree with what Shotakai above says, however, if you ride within your limits Angeles Crest is a good place to get used to leaning, braking etc... Just don't try to keep up with people passing you and keep an eye out for some on-coming idiot. I have been going there for about 40 years and have seen a lot of accidents but most are people riding beyond their limits. A great time to go up there is during the week where you can just feel the flow of the road and you can practice choosing nice smooth lines. Unfortunately this was the 1st weekend in about a month that I missed going there. Maybe we can catch up next weekend.

Just got back from ACH. Three weeks ago we were at the turnout just before Islip saddle taking a water break. Along came about 12 bikes going West at fast pace, one rider (newb) slammed the back brake on in a panic in a big sweeper, ran off the road and fortunately crashed in the dirt before going over the cliff. Tore the front of the crotch rocket but fortunately just injured his pride. Today, just West of the Mt. Wilson turnoff a guy from that same group of riders lost it in a turn. The bike was totaled, forks into the motor and wedged under the guard rail. The rider was 20 feet further up in bad shape being tended to. I see crashes almost every single trip up this road.
We have a new rider in our group. We always split into two groups when we have a new guy. Experienced riders in front and at least one experienced rider leading the second group of newbies. We do everything we can to keep the new guys at a safe speed and coach them.
It is so disappointing to see so many people hurt riding over their skill level.
"A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"  - Clint Eastwood

Sorry, I missed you today, but it was the 1st weekend in a month that I missed going up there. Maybe we can meet up next weekend.

• Premium Member

Sounds good. I am on a Grey / blurple FZ07, white helmet and a Hi-viz jacket. I am a big dude so I look like a huge bumblebee wallowing down the road. 

I did ACH today went up just a couple of miles past that one area where everyone stops for food and drinks. I pretty much stayed about the speed limit and it was fun for me. I gave room or pulled to a turn out to let the faster riders by. on my way back down I felt a little more comfortable, but i still stay within my limits. I had a good experience today, I hope I can ride with your group next time.

Im in a white fz07 with white and black outfit.

• Premium Member
I did ACH today went up just a couple of miles past that one area where everyone stops for food and drinks. I pretty much stayed about the speed limit and it was fun for me. I gave room or pulled to a turn out to let the faster riders by. on my way back down I felt a little more comfortable, but i still stay within my limits. I had a good experience today, I hope I can ride with your group next time.  
Im in a white fz07 with white and black outfit.
Sounds good to me. We are casual riders, and encourage you to stay within those limits. 

I agree OP, we need our own thread for our neck of the woods. I can ride in the late afternoon these upcoming weekdays. Little T, Big T, and ACH, it's all good.

• Premium Member

Hate to use four letter words but work gets in the way during the week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Okay anyone up for ACH this weekend? Pretty sure I will be there both days. So far I have heard two members say they will be there Sunday.

• Premium Member

No one has suggested a time or a place so here goes.
I will leave the Shell station at the bottom of the crest a little after 10 am Sunday.Will be at Newcombs Ranch about 11 am and will hang out for awhile.
If anyone else has a suggestion, please by all means.
This ride is spread across a few threads so hoping to hear back from @Motomeek and @Tim0s002.

• Premium Member

Hey @n2shotokai. Got times. Seems like my group plans to meet at Shell at 8AM, KSU 8:30AM.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member
Hey @n2shotokai. Got times. Seems like my group plans to meet at Shell at 8AM, KSU 8:30AM.  

Looks like some of the others can do 8:30 and some cannot. Do you have a ride plan, stops? WARNING - after newcombs ranch it will be pretty cool and watch for debris in the road.

• Premium Member

Lol, add snow and ice, just checked the weather. East of Islip saddle it is snowing now. This means early morning will have ice in the shade West of there.

• Premium Member

Looks like Tim0S002 will be at the Shell about 9:30-10 am. I will try to meet the early group and wait for Tom0s002. Perhaps we can meet up the hill later. Watch for debris in the road at all elevations after that little storm we just had.

• Premium Member

Nice ride with Tim0s002 and Tanner68. Thanks guys! Next ride:
Sunday 5/3 Angeles Crest HwyLa Canada to Wrightwood and back.Lunch in Wrightwood.
Who is in?

• Premium Member

I think I saw you three when I was just leaving Newcombs! I revved at you guys as we passed you by!

I also saw another FZ07 once I got to the Shell station. That's the most I've ever seen at once! And all white except for one of you that had the blurple.

I wish I could've stopped to say hi, but my group was all ready to go! Maybe next time!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Archived