The MT-07 Forum

Looking to purchase an enclosed m/c trailer

hippiebikerchick

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I need an enclosed trailer that will hold both bikes and maybe some gear.

So far we've looked at Continental cargo brand and they seem pretty good. Does anyone here have any experience or recommendations for me?

What features are good to look for and what to avoid? 

We definitely want the whole back to open down to be a ramp.

Thanks!

Illegitimi non carborundum

massdave3300

I had a Stealth 6 x 10 slant nose that worked well.  More aerodynamic for towing.  Slant also gave more room in the front.  Held 2 bikes without a problem. (w/o luggage)  A side entry door is also a plus.
Depending on the tow rating of your vehicle, (use only about 80 % of rating) aluminium is an option. Usually more expensive, though.  
Electric brakes are a big plus, especially when trying to slow the additional 3,000 lbs coming down a mountain road.
I insulated my ceiling with 1" styrafom board before putting the luan up.  Used the trainer to camp in also. (side door inside latch a must for this!)
Condor wheel chocks are just about the best way to secure a bike.  Other similar brands avalable.  Stay away from the Harbor Freight ones for a trailer, though.
Also, look into E Track rails to secure bike to the floor.  They offer alot of options.
Happy hunting!

I need an enclosed trailer that will hold both bikes and maybe some gear. 
So far we've looked at Continental cargo brand and they seem pretty good. Does anyone here have any experience or recommendations for me?

What features are good to look for and what to avoid? 

We definitely want the whole back to open down to be a ramp.

Thanks!
I own a Wells Cargo enclosed trailer with the ramp rear door. I recommend them. Not the cheapest.

Many brands of trailers out there. Most use leaf springs for suspension. A few use torsion bars like the Wells Cargo trailers do.

Shop around, and don't be afraid to look at wiring, panel-mounts, and paint details. Especially underneath. This will help you figure out which ones are cheap vs. inexpensive. Nothing wrong with cheap, if use is infrequent & short distances. 

Good luck,

Catfish ...

• Premium Member

What do you want to use it for? Long hauls, short hops?
How often ... spend a lot spend a little just to get by?

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Later this year hubs and I are taking the mother of all road trips. We will be in a motorhome and towing the bikes in a trailer. We are going to see as much of North America as we can; going to a camping area, then riding the yammies locally for touring. We plan to be out at least a year.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

If you are going that long, don't go cheap. Those inexpensive trailers with little wheels are fine for around town but have a bad history on long hauls. Decide on what length you need. If a longer trailer consider dual axle and brakes.
I see some decent wells cargo for reasonable prices on SF craigslist.

Archived