The MT-07 Forum

What boots are you wearing?

nhdon

I'm telling you guys, I have owned probably 30 boots of every kind for motorcycles and my current the Sidi Canyon Goretex are the very best that I have ever owned or tried on.

Sidi Canyon Goretex I even hike in em and ride with em on both street and dirbikes. That ratchet strap is the bomb too.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest montana07
fail.  do over.
LOL. Planning on better but I spent too much money on motorcycle. I do have some boots but I can't really fit them between the foot peg and the shift lever...
Did you adjust the shift lever?  I just picked up a new pair of boots and had the same issue before adjusting the lever.

fail.  do over.
LOL. Planning on better but I spent too much money on motorcycle. I do have some boots but I can't really fit them between the foot peg and the shift lever...
That's just squidish if you ask me.  Buying a bike without the proper gear is like buying a car without budgeting for gas or oil changes.  It should be considered part of the expense of the bike and if you can't budget for the proper gear, don't buy the bike until you can; or at least don't ride it... 

You know the shift lever is adjustable, right?

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Guest sportyeight
That's just squidish if you ask me.  Buying a bike without the proper gear is like buying a car without budgeting for gas or oil changes.  It should be considered part of the expense of the bike and if you can't budget for the proper gear, don't buy the bike until you can; or at least don't ride it...  

You know, you're right. Fun costs about $8k, so if you can only scavenge up $7k, and just can't seem to get over the hump to that $8k, then you should not ever be allowed to have the fun.

It also must be nice to have never been in a situation where you can't put gas in your car, or had to push an oil change back a couple thousand miles because things were a little tight at home. It doesn't happen nearly as much to me as it does to others, but I choose not to call out the less fortunate.

Some people have to take a little extra risk now and again depending on the circumstances.

Shift lever doesn't really matter, there's less tread on my boots than my sneaks.

I apologize for bringing my poor trashy ways to the forum. :-[

bmwpowere36m3
You know, you're right. Fun costs about $8k, so if you can only scavenge up $7k, and just can't seem to get over the hump to that $8k, then you should not ever be allowed to have the fun. 
It also must be nice to have never been in a situation where you can't put gas in your car, or had to push an oil change back a couple thousand miles because things were a little tight at home. It doesn't happen nearly as much to me as it does to others, but I choose not to call out the less fortunate.

Some people have to take a little extra risk now and again depending on the circumstances.

Shift lever doesn't really matter, there's less tread on my boots than my sneaks.

Your right, many are less fortunate... and its not for us to judge. It's easy to justify, or try to, buying something for pleasure... it's harder on something you rarely need like gear. Hmm, do I want a new exhaust or that jacket and boots I'll never "need"...

I just hate hearing the "I just bought a motorcycle..." but have no money for gear. Spend a little less on the bike then... people have their priorities all messed up.

Whoa whoa whoa... First of all, don't presume to know everything I've dealt with in my life.  I've been through far more than I ever care to share with strangers on the internet.  Trust me on this one...  There is not much in my life that has come easy and without plenty of hard work.  There were times in my life I WISH I had a car I could not afford to put gas in.  I can tell you stories of when I didn't have a car or a motorcycle; all I had was a cheapo bicycle from K-mart to get my ass to TWO jobs while I was in college. I didn't cry about it then, and I won't cry about it now. It's just life and I learned to live with what I had. Far too many people in this country have entitlement issues and/or were never taught how to live within their means. Don't sell the need for getting a $7k motorcycle as "needing to take a risk." Are you kidding? Is it your only form of transportation? If not, don't expect any tears to be shed for your situation. If it is, there are PLENTY of other good options that would have been much more cost effective.  

Second... I'm sorry if you took it as "talking down" but you completely missed the point.  It's not about the money per se; it's about the right gear.  The point is, if you cannot plan and budget to do it correctly - and by correctly I mean with PROPER gear - then you should either not do it until you have the money OR reanalyze your spending and go with something you can afford.  

Fun costs $8k??? Really? No... Fun costs anywhere from nothing up to what you can AFFORD.  For God's sake, do you honestly expect me to feel bad about your financial situation because you bought a $7k motorcycle and didn't budget for $200 boots? There are PLENTY other good bikes for under $6k that would have left you with enough for boots, jacket, gloves, etc. Nobody held a gun to your head and forced you to buy the bike you did.  Nobody on here is better than anyone else or talking down because someone can't afford this or that.  But God forbid I make one comment about wearing proper gear without it seeming that way.  I can find many a thread on here about that very topic.  Do it right, or don't do it.  It's that simple.  

Guest sportyeight

I'm not crying about anything, I need not pity for any financial situation I may or may not be in. It all completely irrelevant.

My reply had absolutely nothing to do with me. It was a general statement, that had absolutely nothing to do with anything about your fiancial past, responding to a judgmental comment. Nothing more.

If directly calling me squidish was not a judgmental comment, then I apologize for being wrong. But I hope you can see how it could be taken that way.

thestache

I just ordered a pair of these today, I have been wearing a cheap boot, that I bought that was really just there to cover my ankle. I wanted a boot I could ride in, and hike, and saw several reviews mentioning just that from people. Also, I like hiking boots, as they have always been comfortable to me. I liked the pricepoint, and am really excited to get them...will let you all know what I think when they arrive.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-cr-4-gore-tex-xcr-boot

randy2100
I'm not crying about anything, I need not pity for any financial situation I may or may not be in. It all completely irrelevant. 
My reply had absolutely nothing to do with me. It was a general statement, that had absolutely nothing to do with anything about your fiancial past, responding to a judgmental comment. Nothing more.

If directly calling me squidish was not a judgmental comment, then I apologize for being wrong. But I hope you can see how it could be taken that way.
Saying someone has a stupid reason not to wear safety gear is not directly calling them stupid. On the plus side, I've adjusted my shift lever for MY boots! 

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
[attachment thumbnail=1" id="265]

I'm not gay but if I was I'd think Jesus was pretty.

-HowWorkClutch

I ride with 2 pairs of boots, 1 regular moto boot which is comfortable to walk around in and go around town, and another full on race boot for long weekend rides. I notice that with race boots, I needed to adjust the shift lever up to get the boot to fit, but that makes my shifting with regular boots a bit uncomfortable as I have to kick up quite a bit more. Anyone else constantly switch between 2 boots and if so do you adjust the shifter every time or just leave it to fit the bigger boot?

bmwpowere36m3
I ride with 2 pairs of boots, 1 regular moto boot which is comfortable to walk around in and go around town, and another full on race boot for long weekend rides. I notice that with race boots, I needed to adjust the shift lever up to get the boot to fit, but that makes my shifting with regular boots a bit uncomfortable as I have to kick up quite a bit more. Anyone else constantly switch between 2 boots and if so do you adjust the shifter every time or just leave it to fit the bigger boot?

Same problem on my dirt bike... left it set so it works better with my MX boots, since I predominately ride with them vs. regular work boots. Even with my MX boots I have to lift my leg slightly to up shift... but I got used to it.

Same thing for me.  I just found a spot kinda in the middle of ideal that I leave it at that is not too bad with the full boots and a little longer of a throw for the shorter boots.  I can get the full boots under the shifter in the stock position, but I find it a bit more cumbersome due to the lower ankle articulation I get from the stiffness of the full boots.  When I go for longer weekend rides, I do adjust the shifter up some for the full boots and then back again for the rest of the work week.  

• Premium Member

My SIDI Fusion Air boots came in from Revzilla a couple days ago. These will be my first pair of "Air" boots.

I ordered my normal boot size and they were uncomfortably tight right out of the box, but after wearing them a few times they loosened up enough to be comfortable while riding. Walking around in them isn't too bad, but hopefully that'll get more comfortable the more they're worn.

I think the quality and level of protection of these boots is definitely worth what I paid for them.

Sidi_fusion_air_detail_1-psph__23964.1419916388.400.400.jpg

Forma Ice Flow Pro boots. Very comfortable, easy to walk in, and great protection.

• Premium Member

I'm wearing these. I like the protection, flexibility and look of them! Icon Raiden DKR boots. I had to adjust my shift lever as well. Not just the fine adjustment by swiveling the tube... I had to pull it off the spline shaft and readjust. Now it's perfect.

:: '15 Pearl White FZ-07 - OES Frame/Fork/Swingarm Sliders - Motodynamic LED Tail - Yoshimura Fender Eliminator - RIDEIT Levers - Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Exhaust - Seat Concepts - Evotech Radiator Guard & Pillion Kit - TechSpec Grip - Cyclops H4 LED - LED Turn Signals - Progrip 699s - R6 Throttle Tube - K&N Filters - SM M1 Handlebars - EPFA Pads - Gilles Rearsets - 2WDW ECU Flash - CRG Arrows - Forks By Matt Cartridges - K-tech Razor-R Shock - GoCruise Throttle Lock::

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For the guys with SMX-3, how comfortable would you rate them from 0-10. Do you think you could tolerate wearing them for a whole day or are they too rigid? I have a pair of Gaerne GRS boots that are great for the track and on the bike, but after 1hr of walking I'm going nuts. I'm looking for a good commuting boot that preferably goes just above the ankle.

Archived