The MT-07 Forum

Dropped my bike tonight :(

cherenkovblu3

cherenkovblu3

First time dropping my FZ-07. I was pulling away from a stop sign slightly uphill from a gravel road on to a paved road, stalled, rear slid in gravel, then my foot slid on the gravel when I put it down, and down she went. Super noob move. Frame sliders prevented my bike from getting a single scratch on it, sliders didnt even get scuffed. Definitely felt like an idiot with a couple people stopping, etc, however I couldnt be happier with the outcome. Heres a video of it :([video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsbX5oHLDc4] (warning, contains explicit language :D

Guest Ralph

Maybe not your fault the 07 does have a tenancy to cut out/ stall especially when new,
check out the stalling thread.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Glad to see you and your bike are ok.  Most of us have done this, including me.  I dropped my 450 Suzuki when I first started riding it. 

• Global Moderator

Oh man, I really dread these posts. I'm glad you and your bike are okay.
Good to see that those sliders do their work. It happens to all of us. It sometimes takes nothing.

Glad u r ok dude, most cases u r just mad at yourself for doing something like that

It also makes you feel good to see people who genuinely care if you are ok...that lady stopped, even pulled out the flashlight app on the phone

• Global Moderator

The youtube reference thumbnail makes it look like a horrible accident.  :o

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-12%20at%2010.14.17%20AM.jpg

• Premium Member

Good to hear both you and the bike are OK. Trust me though, injuries to your pride often hurt the most ;)

• Premium Member
phicurious86

Dropped my cb500f backing down an inclined driveway within a week of owning. Sucks, but the bikes are generally no worse for the wear if you have some sliders.

Glad you're ok. 

• Premium Member

Thank you for posting this. Perhaps you might give some suggestions to the new riders what you would do differently to avoid this situation.
For myself, on a street bike on gravel, dirt anything loose I keep every move very slow and smooth. Very light on the gas and brakes. I stay clear of places where the road drops off on one side if at all possible where I cannot easily touch the ground. 

Hey cherenk,

Reaction to your video:

1.) thoughtful drivers near you, they even put on their hazards, true Angels 
2.)  so glad you had your gear on, ya just never know, even in a slow fall it helps tremendously
3.)  Help others as they did for you!
            Cheers  Ride. Safely
                        :)/"

Don't fret man, I dropped mine in my first week in a similar situation when a truck stopped hard while I was making a right turn. I too was in gravel and because I was new, I dropped the clutch after downshifting and stopping once she was in first. Once stopped, I realized my front tire was in gravel, dropped my right foot and it slipped in the gravel as well. I was definitely a bit humiliated, as this was at 7:00am on a populated military base, but I just picked her up and went on my way. Walked away with a tiny scratch on my mirror and a scuff on my front axle slider. Get back on it and put the mistake behind you!

Don't get to feeling like the Lone Ranger, everyone has made at least one dumb mistake or how do we account for being good riders? Thanks for the new word, too, but can you tell me what f uck means?

Beemer

THis is a S.A.D. event (stop and drop). Sorry to hear u dropped her, glad ur ok. I have dropped every bike Ive owned at least once. Its good for ya, lets u know its just a hunk of metal,plastic, and rubber. Ride On!

RRokay Raggie

• Premium Member

Dropped mine in the gravel in similar fashion. Now it's officially yours!

Everything went braap.

cherenkovblu3

Hey guys, thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it. These are the frame sliders if have for those interested http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NS191I0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , easy to install (1 little screw) Im going to make a video about what I could have done better to prevent this. So far this is what I came up with:
1. Shoulda been in first, not second
2. Shoulda came to a more complete stop at the stop sign, if I would have my footing would have been better, and I would have handled the clutch differently / probably wouldnt have stalled
3. should have paid more attention to the ground around the stop sign so I could have better anticipated how the ground was going to be when I put my foot down.
Also, definitely reaffirmed wearing all your gear is worth it, even in this lame incident, I had on my RHOK jeans with knee pads in, my knee hit the ground hard, had I been wearing regular jeans, this probably would have at least hurt a little bit.

Thanks again for all the advise and making me feel a little less humiliated about it :D

Glad you and the bike are ok mainly you though haha I haven't dropped mine yet hope I don't but I do have frame fork and swing arm sliders on it just in case. I will say this no shame in falling I dumped fell and trashed my old little dirt bike it's how we learn and get better at doing what we love.

Glad you were not hurt and there was no damage. Yes, we have all dropped a bike at one time or another. I've dropped three with damage. Wind blew another one over with damage.
Wife and I have both been injured on bikes going down.

Glad you and your bike are ok!

$5 discount on all of our products with code: FZ07-FIVE!
www.vagabondmotorsports.com
Always free domestic shipping!

• Premium Member

Glad you are okay and seems like others were wanting to help so that is always good

Ill be the first to throw in the corny sayings....Here goes......

There are 2 types of motorcycle riders, those that have been down, and those that will.
P-)
Hahaha, it is true though. All kidding aside, glad you are ok and you can (did) look back and learn a few things.

87' Honda VFR 700 F2 (sold)
03' Honda CBR F4I (donated)
05' Yamaha R1 (sold)
15' FZ-o7

• 1 month later...
kakusaizou

Better than low sliding it off into a ditch...hehe.

I had the same thing happen to me the other day except I was able to save it. I had the wheel turned right and was about to throttle out but the bike for whatever stalled. The bike went heavy on the right side and I immediately stomped with my right foot to save it but at the expense of pain. I can still feel the throbbing sensation at the heel. I certainly hope Yamaha fixes the stalling issue, because I sure as hell didn't gas/clutch improperly.

cherenkovblu3
Better than low sliding it off into a ditch...hehe. 
I had the same thing happen to me the other day except I was able to save it. I had the wheel turned right and was about to throttle out but the bike for whatever stalled. The bike went heavy on the right side and I immediately stomped with my right foot to save it but at the expense of pain. I can still feel the throbbing sensation at the heel. I certainly hope Yamaha fixes the stalling issue, because I sure as hell didn't gas/clutch improperly.
Brutal, glad you could save it. for the first 300 miles my bike did seem to stall whenever it wanted, but after that shes been fine and running as smooth as butter, im over 1k now and it hasnt been an issue, how many miles do you have on yours?

Archived