The MT-07 Forum

Jerky Throttle Response?

farmer67

Hello all, 

New FZ-07 owner here. I bought a FZ-07 last Saturday and have only been able to put about 80 miles on it so far. I absolutely love the bike, it has good power, seems light as can be, and easy to ride. But one thing I have noticed is that in 1st, 2nd, and even 3rd, the throttle is very jerky at times. If I try to just ease into it sometimes it really comes on.. It hasn't been an issue because after the first ride I knew to anticipate it, but I am wondering if this is normal?

pantheraleo

Take some slack out of your throttle cable. There's a thread here on this site that explains the process very well....it takes 10 minutes. It helped my bike a lot.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

• Premium Member

Yeah pretty much normal. As you learn the bike, it will smooth out a bit. Users have anecdotally reported after the first 600-1k miles or so things can smooth out some and exhaust tone might deepen a little.

Alternatively the EJK Dobeck offers will perceivably after the throttle in a good way.

And finally, you might adjust your throttle cable to remove any slack. Mine had a lot of slack in it, which didn't help the cause.

Everything went braap.

• Global Moderator

I agree with taking the slack out. I also remember thinking that it was hard to maintain the rpm I wanted when I first got the bike. 2600 miles later (I am a pro now :) ) I do not notice it at all. You will get used to the bike and it will be a non-issue.

I'm planning on doing the R6 throttle tube mod this week (along with some driven racing grips) and hope this helps as well
Doing the R6 throttle will actually make it worse. I did the mod a couple months ago and ended up switching back this last week. The R6 has it coming on too quick in my opinion... my 2 cents

migglesworth
I'm planning on doing the R6 throttle tube mod this week (along with some driven racing grips) and hope this helps as well
Doing the R6 throttle will actually make it worse. I did the mod a couple months ago and ended up switching back this last week. The R6 has it coming on too quick in my opinion... my 2 cents
I haven't installed my R6 tube for fear this was going to happen. Glad to have some confirmation. 

• Premium Member
Interesting -- thanks.  Perhaps I will just wait until I am more comfortable with the throttle as is.  It certainly is a big change coming from my slow and heavy cruiser :)

I disagree 100%. 
When you remove the slack from the cable, not all mind you, but just enough and install the R6 tube, you gain a massive amount of control over the bikes throttle.

I would say that i suppose its personal preference. I guess i accelerate on the faster side of things because i really didnt like having to wrap my wrist around, under the bar in order to reach 70-80% throttle.

The R6 throttle tube does very little to change where the throttle actually engages, it just changes how quickly you get to say 20%.

Remove the slack and give that a whirl.  If you are still experiencing problems then trying the R6 tube is a cheap endeavor.

cherenkovblu3

I'm a new rider, but have ridden a couple friends sport bikes, CBR 600, etc, and I noticed that our throttle comparatively is definitely choppier, especially when letting off the throttle, however the throw of our throttle is a lot more exaggerated, as in, getting to full throttle requires a lot more twist, which actually made the bike a little less intimidating when I first started riding it.

I'm a new rider, but have ridden a couple friends sport bikes, CBR 600, etc, and I noticed that our throttle comparatively is definitely choppier, especially when letting off the throttle, however the throw of our throttle is a lot more exaggerated, as in, getting to full throttle requires a lot more twist, which actually made the bike a little less intimidating when I first started riding it.
Im 2700 miles into my first bike experience and i can say without a shadow of a doubt, the R6 throttle tube mod made this bike easier to control. 
Rolling on is easier, rolling off is easier, shifting is easier, downshifting is easier.  Brapping the shet out of the bike is easier.

It is a pure win mod and not one to fear unless you are a terrible rider and i consider myself on a scale from 1-10 a two at this point.

Guest sportyeight

If you notice it when letting off, then you're probably just noticing the engine braking. I have never felt so much engine braking in my life, this thing feels like it could stop my 18 wheeler.

pantheraleo

I did the R6 throttle tube. I feared the intermediate control would be more challenging....but, I find it easier, and I love not having to roll so far to go full throttle.

Its a great, cheap mod.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

cherenkovblu3
Im 2700 miles into my first bike experience and i can say without a shadow of a doubt, the R6 throttle tube mod made this bike easier to control. 
Rolling on is easier, rolling off is easier, shifting is easier, downshifting is easier.  Brapping the shet out of the bike is easier.

It is a pure win mod and not one to fear unless you are a terrible rider and i consider myself on a scale from 1-10 a two at this point.

Hmm, maybe i'll give it a shot in the next couple months. 

The R6 tube will make the throttle more sensitive and also force you to adjust the cables if you haven't already. The cable adjustment will help eliminate that feeling of choppiness because you will get better throttle response, but the tube itself will make the throttle more sensitive to your input. The sensitivity may hurt or help you depending on how you ride. I personally enjoy it as I usually get on it pretty good away from stop lights to get away from cagers, but I also have all of my controls setup to be as sensitive as they can while still being safe. I sort of think about moving forward or shifting and it just happens. That's how I like it, and it makes everything SO much smoother for me.

This is entirely personal preference as far as the tube goes, but you really should adjust your throttle cable. It will help the feeling of choppiness a bit.

I tried doing the r6 throttle tube but the throttle sticks after I installed it so I put the stock one back on.

Throttle cable slack adjusters need to be backed off for lots of slack during the installation to allow the new throttle tube to fit, and after it's installed, the slack adjusters are tightened and cable free play set where you want it.
This is because the cam of the throttle tube is larger in diameter.
That's what makes the R6 throttle tube open the throttle with less twist.

I've experienced the "jerky throttle" with most of the fuel injected bikes I've owned. They just don't seem to transition from off to on as smoothly as carburetor equipped motorcycles in my experience. I've gone another way which is to purchase a Throttle tamer from G2 Ergonomics. The idea is to make the initial throttle action slower, I have not installed it yet so I'm not going to say how well it will work but I'll post here after the install. Motorcycle Consumer News also had a suggestion a few years ago which used a grease for camera lenses that might help. I'm going to try to find the article since I want to get some for the BMW R1200R which has the same issue. Sometimes something as simple as dragging a finger on the throttle housing, dragging the rear brake slightly or focusing hard on very gentle throttle pickup can help out. You should of course make sure free play is adjusted as mentioned previously. Hang in there, the FZ-07 is a great bike.

Im not seeing any of this post R6 throttle mod.

Either my fine control has improved or the combination of adjusting, the tube and gaining experience riding has helped immeasurably.

The bike no longer lurches forward whenever i go from zero to any throttle whereas it always used to prior to the above mentioned things.

Maybe try feathering the clutch a bit more. When I first got mine I took the slack out of the throttle cable. I'm amazed at how smooth this bike is. This is coming from a wr250x too.
Have about 800 miles and nothing but smiles.

I have 1k +/- miles on my bike and notice the throttle issue the most when entering a curve. For example, and when I'm horsing around, i run zero throttle when entering a curve at 70mph, a quarter the way into the curve i slightly roll on the throttle, essentially sling shotting myself thru the remainder of the turn. I'm comfortable doing this in 5th gear, but i still get a nice jerk in the pants no matter how slow i roll on the throttle.

Will the mods mentioned in this thread ease the jerkiness in curves? I could run thru them with much more precision if so.

Thanks!

I just got my EJK tuner hooked up after work today to a stock engine (only removed snorkel) and wanted to post here how smooth gear shifts are now. I have been bothered by jerky shifts especially from 1st to 2nd and have been riding for 20+ years but amazingly they are gone now. I got the tuner specifically to smooth out the mix with the Yoshi exhaust coming tomorrow but it definitely takes the jerky out of shifts while making the bike much more responsive to throttle inputs even through lower rpm's. It's not cheap but for those people that are frustrated bumping helmets with a passenger this will definitely fix you up.

• Premium Member

DOBECK EJK really makes the throttle much better. Even for a stock bike it will make an improvement. Its surely worth the investment.

Archived