The MT-07 Forum

How To: Custom Rear LED Turn Signals

wickedtwister

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

This is a quick how to on the Custom Led's i made into my rear side panels on my FZ07.  First of all modifying the turn signals from stock to ones that are not DOT or ECE approved is probably illegal, and should be done so at your own risk.  That being said the thing i hated most about the bike is the turn signals so i did something about it.

20150414_203951_zpsepfla1uz.jpg

Parts You will need.

Right and Left side panel inserts.  Any yamaha dealer should be able to order them. I paid less than $5 each for them.

1WS-2171J-00 and 1WS-217K-00

LEDs  I used 2 different LED's One was a "run of the mill" 5mm round LED with a 30deg viewing angle.  These were really bright looking at them dead on but at the angle they mount on the bike they were not bright enough.  See image below.  I finally used a 4mm LED with a 120 deg viewing angle that was nearly 3 times brighter than the first ones. These particular LED's sit flush with the panel which look very good.  Below is the part number of the final ones. 

20150413_204441_zpsr5mxgn2y.jpg

Cree P4 LED CP42B-RKS  [span]    [/span]$.20 each [span]    [/span]18 required

Resistors  needed to reduce the voltage so the LED's dont blow.

82 Ohm 2 Watt[span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]  [span] [/span] [span]  [/span][/span] $.15 each[span]    [/span]6 re[span]qu[/span]ired

Wire  I used 18guage because that's what i had laying around.

Shrink wrap

20150414_174008_zpsb3bskccl.jpg

Tools needed:
Soldering Iron
Wire cutters
Wire strippers
Drill and 4mm drill bit
Hot glue gun
Multimeter
Digital calipers

20150414_174459_zpslad6k74v.jpg

Step 1.  Marking placement of the LED's on the side panels.  I did 3 rows of 3 at each of the steps on the panels.  Use Digital Calipers to find the center then mark .55" on either side of the center.  Of course placement is personal preference.  I center punched the panels so the drill bit does not walk.  I highly recommend this step.

20150414_181628_zpsilmzie8b.jpg

Step 2.  Use the 4mm drill bit and drill from the outside or visible side of the panel.  debur the inside of the panel so the LED's sit flush.

Step 3. Insert LED's into the panel.  Its easier to wire if they all facing the same direction.  I super glued them into place to keep from moving as i soldered the wires to the LED's

20150414_183026_zpsz267pmzf.jpg

Step 4. Wire LED's.  I wired them into 3 groups of 3 LED's  Not shown is the Resistors are soldered inline on the negative (black) side. When wiring is done i routed the wires towards the rear of the bike.  This makes wiring a little easier.

20150414_194217_zpsuwubuc3u.jpg

Step 5. Hot Glue LED's to panel. Im using the hot glue to seal the wiring from water.  I have no idea if this will hold up in a down pour i guess time will tell.

20150414_201128_zpsc52rqvp7.jpg

Step 6. Attach LED's to the factory rear turn signal wiring harness.  I'm sure you can get these online if you don't want to cut the originals.

20150414_201206_zpsvdi9c308.jpg

20150414_183050_zpsn4x9ovan.jpg

Step 7 reinstall Panels into the bike and enjoy your new sleek turn signals.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great! I've been putting off a project very much like this and your setup has given me some great ideas! Thanks for the trial/error on the LEDs. Very helpful.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

I'm not really much of a diy guy I'm more of a do for me guy.

Would you ever consider possibly making and selling a set of these for someone like me who wants to do this but lacks the ability to do so?

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
I'm not really much of a diy guy I'm more of a do for me guy.  
Would you ever consider possibly making and selling a set of these for someone like me who wants to do this but lacks the ability to do so?
I would but only after i have more time testing these.  I literately finished these last night.  I want to make sure they are waterproof ect.  I just dont want to sell anything until i know they will last.  Anyways give me a few weeks to test these out.  

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I'm sure you guys have been wanting to see daytime and night videos of these things. I still need to put the LED flasher relay in so they blink too fast now.

[video src=https://youtu.be/wqOfJ9IszqI]

[video src=https://youtu.be/Qn3N6M0eFD0]

This is SO awesome! Excellent job! I definitely want to do this. Anyone know if these would be available in orange? 

That is sweet and within my realm of ability. Only question, since I'm having a hard time picturing it in my minds eye, would a passenger block the signals at all being there? Thanks in advance and great job!.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
That is sweet and within my realm of ability. Only question, since I'm having a hard time picturing it in my minds eye, would a passenger block the signals at all being there? Thanks in advance and great job!.
I dont know if a passenger would block it, but i would not thing it would.  Honestly i never thought about it because my girlfriend rides herself and refuses to ride on the back of my bike.  
Side luggage on the other hand definitely would.

• 2 weeks later...
This is a quick how to on the Custom Led's i made into my rear side panels on my FZ07.  First of all modifying the turn signals from stock to ones that are not DOT or ECE approved is probably illegal, and should be done so at your own risk.  That being said the thing i hated most about the bike is the turn signals so i did something about it.  
20150414_203951_zpsepfla1uz.jpg

Parts You will need.

Right and Left side panel inserts.  Any yamaha dealer should be able to order them. I paid less than $5 each for them.

1WS-2171J-00 and 1WS-217K-00

LEDs  I used 2 different LED's One was a "run of the mill" 5mm round LED with a 30deg viewing angle.  These were really bright looking at them dead on but at the angle they mount on the bike they were not bright enough.  See image below.  I finally used a 4mm LED with a 120 deg viewing angle that was nearly 3 times brighter than the first ones. These particular LED's sit flush with the panel which look very good.  Below is the part number of the final ones. 

20150413_204441_zpsr5mxgn2y.jpg

Cree P4 LED CP42B-RKS  [span]    [/span]$.20 each [span]    [/span]18 required

Resistors  needed to reduce the voltage so the LED's dont blow.

82 Ohm 2 Watt[span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]  [span] [/span] [span]  [/span][/span] $.15 each[span]    [/span]6 re[span]qu[/span]ired

Wire  I used 18guage because that's what i had laying around.

Shrink wrap

20150414_174008_zpsb3bskccl.jpg

Tools needed:
Soldering Iron
Wire cutters
Wire strippers
Drill and 4mm drill bit
Hot glue gun
Multimeter
Digital calipers

20150414_174459_zpslad6k74v.jpg

Step 1.  Marking placement of the LED's on the side panels.  I did 3 rows of 3 at each of the steps on the panels.  Use Digital Calipers to find the center then mark .55" on either side of the center.  Of course placement is personal preference.  I center punched the panels so the drill bit does not walk.  I highly recommend this step.

20150414_181628_zpsilmzie8b.jpg

Step 2.  Use the 4mm drill bit and drill from the outside or visible side of the panel.  debur the inside of the panel so the LED's sit flush.

Step 3. Insert LED's into the panel.  Its easier to wire if they all facing the same direction.  I super glued them into place to keep from moving as i soldered the wires to the LED's

20150414_183026_zpsz267pmzf.jpg

Step 4. Wire LED's.  I wired them into 3 groups of 3 LED's  Not shown is the Resistors are soldered inline on the negative (black) side. When wiring is done i routed the wires towards the rear of the bike.  This makes wiring a little easier.

20150414_194217_zpsuwubuc3u.jpg

Step 5. Hot Glue LED's to panel. Im using the hot glue to seal the wiring from water.  I have no idea if this will hold up in a down pour i guess time will tell.

20150414_201128_zpsc52rqvp7.jpg

Step 6. Attach LED's to the factory rear turn signal wiring harness.  I'm sure you can get these online if you don't want to cut the originals.

20150414_201206_zpsvdi9c308.jpg

20150414_183050_zpsn4x9ovan.jpg

Step 7 reinstall Panels into the bike and enjoy your new sleek turn signals.

Well now I have to go and re do mine Lol. I did the same thing but I'm waiting for motodynamics sequential tail light to be back in stock. Slapped LED strips in the same spot as you and have the led relay. You've done a far better job than I.

• Global Moderator

@wickedtwister: How did you determine which resistors you needed? I'm looking at the same LEDs you used, but I plan on using the front signal as my power source. I was thinking use the 3x3 rows as you did with red LEDs and running those as running lights and another 2x3 rows of the amber as actual signals. Its these circuits I would need the resistors for. I also plan on ordering the CustomLED OEM flasher relay, not sure how this will affect things. Also, How're yours holding up? It's been a been a couple of weeks, any faults/hiccups?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
@wickedtwister: How did you determine which resistors you needed? I'm looking at the same LEDs you used, but I plan on using the front signal as my power source. I was thinking use the 3x3 rows as you did with red LEDs and running those as running lights and another 2x3 rows of the amber as actual signals. Its these circuits I would need the resistors for. I also plan on ordering the CustomLED OEM flasher relay, not sure how this will affect things. Also, How're yours holding up? It's been a been a couple of weeks, any faults/hiccups?
So far no issues.  Ive had friends follow me during the day and they said they had no issues seeing the lights.  
If you did 2 rows of 3 led's it should be the same resistors.  Here is the calculator i used to figure out what resistors to use.  You will need the technical specs of the led's you wish to use.  For the input voltage i used 12.6V.. Pay attention to the wattage it recommends.  I doubled the recommended wattage of my resistors to minimize the heat they create, i guess it works in theory.

If you are doing 3X3 of reds i dont think you will see the ambers unless you shut the reds off when they are flashing.   One think you can  play with is using a resistor that is "too big" and dimming the running lights.  I would get a potentiometer (make sure you get the right resistance range) that way you can tune it until you have a brightness you like. Then simply measure the resistance with a Multimeter, and buy that resistance.  That should give a similar effect as the integrated tail lights.

I have actually been wanting to do the same thing with mine... I have enough materials to build another pair of light panels and also incorporate brake lights into these panels.  This is much more in depth and will require some circuitry to get the brake and turn signals to work on the same bank of led's....

• Global Moderator
So far no issues.  Ive had friends follow me during the day and they said they had no issues seeing the lights.  
If you did 2 rows of 3 led's it should be the same resistors.  Here is the calculator i used to figure out what resistors to use.  You will need the technical specs of the led's you wish to use.  For the input voltage i used 12.6V.. Pay attention to the wattage it recommends.  I doubled the recommended wattage of my resistors to minimize the heat they create, i guess it works in theory.

If you are doing 3X3 of reds i dont think you will see the ambers unless you shut the reds off when they are flashing.   One think you can  play with is using a resistor that is "too big" and dimming the running lights.  I would get a potentiometer (make sure you get the right resistance range) that way you can tune it until you have a brightness you like. Then simply measure the resistance with a Multimeter, and buy that resistance.  That should give a similar effect as the integrated tail lights.

I have actually been wanting to do the same thing with mine... I have enough materials to build another pair of light panels and also incorporate brake lights into these panels.  This is much more in depth and will require some circuitry to get the brake and turn signals to work on the same bank of led's....

As i mentioned Im taking the power off the front signals so i get the running light option. As far as im aware the runnning light operation cuts out when the signal is turned on to give the flash effect. Wouldnt using 12.6V for input voltage decrease the life of the LEDs? Running voltage would exceed this by nearly 2V unless I'm overlooking something, which I more than likely am. Its been a couple years since I've done any electrical work like this, and i dont have much experience with LEDs. 
As far as your resistors go, did you just use the one 82ohm resistor for the ground side of the whole circuit?

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I'm not sure if the running light cuts off when blinkers are on. I have not tried it. I used 12.6 because that is technically what a fully charged battery will output 6 cells @ 2.1V each. Im not sure what voltage the bike outputs at WOT but so far i haven't had any issues. To be safe you could go up one step up in resistance but your lights will not be as bright. But i did use the calc and figured out that everything from 12-13.1V used that same resistor. Typically when you overpower one they will blow right away. Your resistor question is why i brought up the Wattage of the resistor. I used 3, 2watt resistors per side. One for each bank of LED's, It is possible to use a larger wattage resistor and run all three together but the size difference of the resistor is why i did not do this. And i wanted to retain the flexibility to do a sequential light pattern later on if i got bored again.

• Global Moderator

Awesome, just gotta wait for those panels to come in. I think ive got the diagram setup correctly now

photomoto

Guys, keep this thread updated with everything you do! I would absolutely LOVE to do something like this, I just need a little more time to figure everything out. I'm keeping my eyes on this thread though! Thanks! 8-)

verdecken

This is exactly what I've been wanting to do!! If you ever sell these, I am first on the list for a pair.

• Global Moderator

Sourcing the parts would be easy, as far as production thats the issue. I could try making a few others once i make sure my concept works in the real world

Archived