The MT-07 Forum

How To: Custom Rear LED Turn Signals

wickedtwister

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jeepinbassist

Hey wiked I had a couple questions for you. What were your calculations for your resistors. Mainly source voltage. Did you use peak voltage when the system is charging? Or just battery power when not charging?
Also on the resistors you bought you said they are 82 ohm 2 watt resistors. What percentage are they?

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
Hey wiked I had a couple questions for you. What were your calculations for your resistors. Mainly source voltage. Did you use peak voltage when the system is charging? Or just battery power when not charging? Also on the resistors you bought you said they are 82 ohm 2 watt resistors. What percentage are they?
I used 12.6 as my source voltage for the calc.  You can step up to 100 ohm resistors that are good to 14.5 volts i think, but the lights will not be as bright.  I have not had any issues with the 82 ohm.  I have left the blinkers on at WOT just to make sure the would not over charge and blow the LED's.   My bike outputs about 12.4-12.9 volts in the RPM range that i would typically have the blinkers on.  
I used 5% resistors.

jeepinbassist
Hey wiked I had a couple questions for you. What were your calculations for your resistors. Mainly source voltage. Did you use peak voltage when the system is charging? Or just battery power when not charging? Also on the resistors you bought you said they are 82 ohm 2 watt resistors. What percentage are they?
I used 12.6 as my source voltage for the calc.  You can step up to 100 ohm resistors that are good to 14.5 volts i think, but the lights will not be as bright.  I have not had any issues with the 82 ohm.  I have left the blinkers on at WOT just to make sure the would not over charge and blow the LED's.   My bike outputs about 12.4-12.9 volts in the RPM range that i would typically have the blinkers on.  
I used 5% resistors.

Thanks for the reply. I ended up ordering 100 ohm resistors just to compensate for charging voltage. I didn't think about the fact that when blinkers are on you will be at lower rpms therfore less voltage. Maybe I'll also order some 82 ohm just to see the difference in brightness. I'm sure it's pretty minimal but it may make a difference.

• 1 month later...

Hy everybody . first of all I apologise for my English because I'm french.
I'm trying to do the same thing like you for my rear blinkers. I've got just one question please , in case of a truck behind you , does the driver see correctly the rear blinkers by day ? because I mean the driver is high seated instead of a car .
I hope you understand my question and that you'll be able to answer .

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Hello, You English is fine and understandable. I spent 2 months in Clermont-Ferrand for work (Michelin) a few years ago, it was a nice city with lots to do close by. I don't know much French so I had a little trouble communicating but most people were very patient and willing to try to explain things to me in english.

If the truck is more than 10-15 meters behind you they should have no issue seeing these lights. If the truck was only 2-5 meters behind you they would probably not be able to see them. Some people have used these lights and an integrated tail light at the same time. ha works very well as the tail light is more visible much closer or at a steeper angle from the taller trucks.

I have used these in traffic and large trucks don't seem to have issues seeing when I'm slowing down for a turn. I don't know if its brake light of the turn signals that they see but i haven't had any issues in traffic.

Let me know if you need anymore help or don't understand anything. I can try to have the directions translated by some of my french speaking co workers.

Hello, You English is fine and understandable. I spent 2 months in Clermont-Ferrand for work (Michelin) a few years ago, it was a nice city with lots to do close by. I don't know much French so I had a little trouble communicating but most people were very patient and willing to try to explain things to me in english.  
If the truck is more than 10-15 meters behind you they should have no issue seeing these lights. If the truck was only 2-5 meters behind you they would probably not be able to see them. Some people have used these lights and an integrated tail light at the same time. ha works very well as the tail light is more visible much closer or at a steeper angle from the taller trucks.

I have used these in traffic and large trucks don't seem to have issues seeing when I'm slowing down for a turn. I don't know if its brake light of the turn signals that they see but i haven't had any issues in traffic.

Let me know if you need anymore help or don't understand anything. I can try to have the directions translated by some of my french speaking co workers.

thank you very much. I come from the north east of France between nancy and Strasbourg .
For the moment I understand all because the tutorial is quite good. I'm waiting the stuff now to begin the work on my mt07.

• 2 weeks later...
image.jpg1_zps8k1sdvri.jpg
Questions.... So I tried this out and it burned out. I followed twisted's photo with all the appropriate parts.  It seems odd that the resistors are on the negative side, wouldn't that make them downstream and not affect voltage? They glowed dark orange/red for a couple seconds before popping one light in each series. Any advice is much appreciated! Could someone throw up a wiring diagram or something?

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I have had no issues with having resistors at the end, middle, or beginning of the series. I think you wired them wrong. Please search online for wiring diagrams for leds. I personally wire them 12+ to the positive side of the first led, from the negative side of the first led to the positive side of the 2nd led, from the negative side of the 2nd led to the positive of the 3rd led with a resistor, and from the negative of the 3rd resistor to ground.

See the picture for an example of what I do. I have made 20+ sets of these with no led failures.

Yeah I'm wiring the same, in series to the positive post, positive to negative all the way down, then resistor to ground. And the negative side is the one with holes in the prongs?

Got it all worked out, looks pretty awesome. So I'm looking at getting the resistors that will slow down the blinkers. Looks like it's just a simple 9.8 ohm resistor. Will that do anything to the brightness of the lights or slow down the hazards too much or anything along those lines?

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I personally don't like the resistors its better in my opinion to replace the flasher unit under the left tank panel. $18 at cycle gear

• 2 months later...
Did you install amber or are your leds red? I ordered amber and powered one in the house, it looks pretty red. Not sure if that's the way it is or mispackaged.

• 5 months later...
  • Global Moderator
Does anyone know if this will work with a MD integrated tail??
They will indeed, i use my own version but its not any different
just get a splitter and possibly the yamaha adapters from MD

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Does anyone know if this will work with a MD integrated tail??
They will indeed, i use my own version but its not any different just get a splitter and possibly the yamaha adapters from MD

Splitter? Do you mean just tap into the Yamaha adapters that go to the tail light?

• Global Moderator
They will indeed, i use my own version but its not any different just get a splitter and possibly the yamaha adapters from MD

Splitter? Do you mean just tap into the Yamaha adapters that go to the tail light?
this is the Splitter this is the yamaha adapter

• 4 weeks later...
  • Global Moderator
I would like to set an order
@wickedtwister is no longer a supporting vendor due to schedule restraints

Archived