The MT-07 Forum

How To: Custom Rear LED Turn Signals

wickedtwister

• Premium Member
fz07fanboy

I just ordered the amber LEDs. I'll purchase the resistors locally and commence with the installation. I'll use the panels installed now and order some new ones from the dealer. Thank you for doing this. It seems pretty straight forward and doesn't seem to be difficult to accomplish. It looks very clean and very visible in the day and night.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
wickedtwister

@verdecken I don't have any problems making these for people not sure what you're willing to pay. I'd say to copy what I have today it's about 20-25 in parts and 3 hours of labor. What would you guys pay?

@verdecken I don't have any problems making these for people not sure what you're willing to pay. I'd say to copy what I have today it's about 20-25 in parts and 3 hours of labor. What would you guys pay?

I think these would sell very well at $75-$100. Of course, to go any further in this discussion here I would need you to sign up as s supporting vendor. Check your inbox please.

• Global Moderator

as it turns out, front signals do not cut power to running lights as the signal is flashing.
also on a slightly related/unrelated note. the fuse marked signal doesn't actually control the turn signals. it controls running/tail lights, brake light, display back-light and license plate light. turn signals are under the park fuse.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

photomoto

If amber LEDs were used and it was relatively plug-n-play, I would definitely pay ~$80 for them!  :D

verdecken
If amber LEDs were used and it was relatively plug-n-play, I would definitely pay ~$80 for them!  :D
I second this idea. Amber LEDs with the connectors already applied, and I can easily justify the $80.  8-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
fz07fanboy

Followed the steps and create my own Amber signals. There are some steps that could be added to make things easier so mistakes aren't made like I did. Learned a few things the hard way but ended up learning a lot. I appreciate the effort made to create the HOW TO.

EhyAiq.jpg

7VWOMT.jpg

EHUbYe.jpg

uV5L0F.jpg

TcOtZQ.jpg

I wonder would silicon be a good option for waterproofing them, rather than hot glue? This looks like a fun DIY project. Did you use one resistor per 3 led's?

• Global Moderator
I wonder would silicon be a good option for waterproofing them, rather than hot glue? This looks like a fun DIY project. Did you use one resistor per 3 led's?
A non acidic or neutral cure silicone would work quite well to seal these off from the environment. 

• Premium Member
fz07fanboy

I use one resistor for each row of LEDs on the negative side

Thanks you guys ... I got no electrical smarts but can usually follow directions ... you guys rock and kudos to Twisted for such a cool economical idea.

Oh yes I know .. just looks like fun and if I spend a few dollars for this and that .. someone may not notice as much .. lol

@jerryv I also sell them if you do not already have the tools to make them it would probably be cheaper to get them from me. Of course the diy aspect of projects is also fun.

• Global Moderator
Oh yes I know .. just looks like fun and if I spend a few dollars for this and that .. someone may not notice as much .. lol 

@jerryv I also sell them if you do not already have the tools to make them it would probably be cheaper to get them from me. Of course the diy aspect of projects is also fun.

DIY for the win :)
Also, howre those prototypes coming along @wickedtwister

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

DIY for the win :)
Also, howre those prototypes coming along @wickedtwister
I just finished up the Amber and Red combo panel.   This is for you @kwaipuak  
I did screw up and use wrong drill bit on one row of led's but thats why its a prototype panel.  I'm about to build my sequential circuit and hope it works haha.  

IMG-20150519-WA0002_zps3ofhzjhj.jpeg

20150519_200527_zpsdpa6cmqy.jpg

20150519_200829_zps2fh5iliz.jpg

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I guess i need to figure out what the brake light connecter is.... i think people are going to like these.

DIY for the win :) Also, howre those prototypes coming along @wickedtwister
I just finished up the Amber and Red combo panel.   This is for you @kwaipuak  
I did screw up and use wrong drill bit on one row of led's but thats why its a prototype panel.  I'm about to build my sequential circuit and hope it works haha.  

Hell yeah! Friday is pay day, I will set aside the money for whenever you think they would be ready.

• Global Moderator

@wickedtwister damn  those look good, Im curious about the clearance of the LEDs after install. Ive noticed that seat support bracket gets really close. have you test fit these panels yet?

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

No but i did have to remove a rubber bumper from my seat support bracket to fit my very first set of panels. These seem to have a little more clearance. These double light panels to have a lot of wiring in them however, so I will test fit them on my bike. I guess ill pull it apart and do a how to install these things while im at it.

• Global Moderator
No but i did have to remove a rubber bumper from my seat support bracket to fit my very first set of panels. These seem to have a little more clearance. These double light panels to have a lot of wiring in them however, so I will test fit them on my bike. I guess ill pull it apart and do a how to install these things while im at it.
might as well make a 100 off that contest :P
did you shave off the 3 flanges that bumper sits against?

Just so you know, I said I would order one but seeing the changes/progress you are making developing new ideas, I'd like to wait a bit to see where things go. I still have every intention of buying one, I'm not flaking on you!

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Just so you know, I said I would order one but seeing the changes/progress you are making developing new ideas, I'd like to wait a bit to see where things go. I still have every intention of buying one, I'm not flaking on you!
Yeah, kind of felling the same way. If you end up with a plug and play brake + blinker solution, I'd be set. I don't care too much for sequential blinkers. 

Archived