The MT-07 Forum

Almost Bought One Today

TheYoungConnoisseur

TheYoungConnoisseur

So i've been looking for an inexpensive bike I can put-put around on and obey most traffic laws with for a change and the only bikes on the market I can consider in the USA are the ktm 690 duke, fz 07/09 and the monster 821. I have ruled the 821 out because its just too fast, low and long wheelbase for me to behave with it and the fz09 is still POSSIBLY in the running because its so much cheaper than the monster and only 1000$ more than the 07 is locally but the suspension on it is junk, albeit a big step above the 07. Id rather have the twin in the fz and I like the bikes style and ergos better than the duke 690.

I really wanted to buy the 07 today and loved everything about it except how unbelievably springy and softly sprung the front end is, I could LIVE with the rear end but the front for my idea of gentle riding is just way way too divey. Im 165lbs and this will be the first bike ive ever had and bought with the intentions of NOT MODDING IT (besides fender elim/turnsignals) no exhaust, no gearing no tune etc you get the idea, a legitimate street legal, full warranty, stealth mode bike.

I did quite a bit of research and It appears for 350$ I can get a front fork kit to install myself but then if I dramatically improved the front the rear end will not match and the dynamics will turn to shit without spending another 650-800 on a rear shock and then im right there at a fz09 with suspension I can totally live with for a few hundred less and no hassle or warranty issues. Problem is the 07 LOOKS better, makes less power which is what I want, I dont want a bike that is constantly trying to get me to misbehave like my 210hp zx10r which only goes out to rip/track.

What Im really asking is can I get the 07 and since I have zero experience with this style of cheap-o fork can I just unscrew the caps on the top and pour in 5-20cc of fluid to at least increase the compression and rebound?

I REALLY want to not piss with a bike for a change, especially take on a constant back and forth project like doing the suspension one piece at a time and constantly going out for test rides. Dont say oh, your only 165 you wont have THAT big a problem, yes I will, that front end will be bottoming anytime Im on the brakes

Thanks for your help guys

• Premium Member

If you're going to change the oil weight, might as well change the springs too. Then you're done and should be pretty satisfied. There's a fork kit that does just that, comes with springs and oil. I believe it's around $150-200, if I can find the post I'll copy it here.

Otherwise, you just might prefer the 09 if you don't want to touch the springs at all. The 07 is honestly pretty powerful too, and I've gotten myself in a lil' trouble with it without being aggressive at all. With that said, I feel the 09 might as well be in the same category as the Ducati based on what you said.

Everything went braap.

Archived