The MT-07 Forum

Ol' coot joins the fun...

avanti

• Premium Member

I'm a 67 year old in north Louisiana who has ridden all his life and have decided to get a "Gray 7" when I locate one.  I'm a lifelong "motorhead" whose father and mother raced dirt track "jalopies" in the mid-50s (1950s, that is; even I'm not THAT old  ;)).  I've owned and built a little of everything and have driven four cars on the Bonneville Salt Flats over the last quarter century (but not ridden there since that scares me).  My wife and I have driven her street-engined (KennyBell supercharged Ford 5L) MegaMonster Miata 185 on the Salt and I've run 225mph in an antique Studebaker Avanti with an even more antique but severely updated Studebaker V/8.  We plan to return to the Salt this August and finally go fast! 

I'd invite anyone to show up and look for a turquoise Stude at Bonneville SpeedWeek this year.  Also, anyone passing through La (not Los Angeles) on I-20 give me a yell and stop in.   When at home on my own 'puter I'll put up a pic gallery of some of our stuff. 

I'm happy to find this site and thank those responsible for creating it.  All the best!!!

AN UPDATE:  I just bought a graphite still "in-the-box" this morning (4/21) over the phone... I'll probably pic it up Saturday.  (Thus so, I've become a legitimate member, hehehe.)

And, Yamahaha, I've posted a lot of toy-pix on page 2 of this thread.

• Global Moderator

Welcome. I second the request for photos. A 225 mph Avanti sounds really interesting.

• Global Moderator

Hey @avanti, you Ol' coot. ;)
Thank you for joining our group. Yes, please flood this thread with cool pictures. Here's a write-up on how to post pics.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome avanti! You've done a lot of interesting stuff, hope to hear more stories. Thanks for joining!

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Welcome! Let us know when you get your 07.

• Premium Member

Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated! I put out feelers to the closest Yam dealers the last couple of days via their Websites and got a call back this afternoon while I was out. At this point, he's "talking with the boss" on a deal for a graphite (all they had in stock is red and I've got a couple red vehicles now--my quota). I should know the story Tuesday, since they are closed on Mondays.  His bottom dollar seemed comparable to what I've seen online that others have mentioned, so I told him if he got the right color at the price he'd mentioned I could live with it... we'll see. Yes, I'm on my way to see about loading some toy pix.

Oops, NOT photobucket!  I'll have to wait til my membership is updated since my computer doesn't like the current version of photobucket... ... THEN, pix, hehehe!!!

• Global Moderator

I wouldn't let the color steer you away from a good deal. It is just a couple of plastic panels that are easy to swap.
And they are cheap too. Something like $160 for the set (I think). The frame of a red bike is black and that matches nicely with grey or white tank panels.

• Premium Member

Guru, thanks for the info, I didn't know that. If so, I'd have gone with the red and swapped panels. I may still do so, because I'm sure the dealer isn't going to actually DO anything without any money in hand.

Btw, I just made a donation and sent a pm about such to "Cruizin," sorry if not the right one but he posted the thread noted above on how to add pix. My computer has a difficult time with the current version of photobucket so when my personal page is updated I'll commence posting pix...

• Global Moderator

You're welcome. Guru at your service respect-062.gif

Here's a post you might like. @easternkayaker swapped is red panels for white. So you can see the black frame/white panel combo. I think it looks pretty sweet. 

@admin is the big honcho here. Donations are more then welcome, thank you. He will upgrade you to Premium Member a.s.a.p. You will then be able to attach pictures directly.

• Global Moderator

I did some home work for you:

For DNMN (which is grey)

left side panel in grey:    1WS-24129-00-P4
right side panel in grey:  1WS-24139-00-P4
Top cover piece:             1WS-2171A-00-P4

You will have to verify these numbers at the dealer and price them out. I found them here.  respect-048.gif

• Premium Member

Thank YOU, Guru; I'm much obliged for your time and effort!!! This will give me more "in hand," so to speak, when I talt with the dealer rep Tuesday. Acquisition updates as I know something to add.

Btw, I modify virtually everything I own and I'm looking forward to commencing on the '07. Often, I end up fabricating my own stuff or if I cannot do so, send it to my racer and fab eng'r in IL. I'm also looking forward to being able to post pix directly. I'll put up some pix of: my custom Intruder (can I say that word here, hehehe), my 1966 Excalibur roadster, a couple of B'ville cars (my wife's Miata and the current record-holding Stude), and another toy or two, one of which I'm about to finish... again... that I've redone a number of different ways in the nearly 40 years I've owned it. Stay tuned...

• Global Moderator

Well, you are officially a premium member !! Nothing is stopping you now ;)

• Global Moderator

As a Premium member you have a new Attachment button.

If you click on Reply you will see a screen with a button called "add Attachment" like this screen:

[attachment id=174" thumbnail="1]

After uploading a picture, you click on "insert" and the picture will appear in the post you are about to create.

[attachment id=175" thumbnail="1]

I used it to create this reply so the buttons work. I hope this helps.

• Premium Member

Thank you... I was trying to create a new gallery instead of adding pix here. Duh!!!  This'll work fine; it doesn't matter to me where I put em.      
[attachment id=177" thumbnail="1][attachment id=178" thumbnail="1][attachment id=179" thumbnail="1][attachment id=180" thumbnail="1]

• Premium Member

[attachment id=181" thumbnail="1][attachment id=182" thumbnail="1][attachment id=183" thumbnail="1][attachment id=184" thumbnail="1]

• Premium Member

[attachment id=185" thumbnail="1][attachment id=186" thumbnail="1][attachment id=187" thumbnail="1][attachment id=188" thumbnail="1]

• Premium Member

[attachment id=189" thumbnail="1][attachment id=190" thumbnail="1][attachment id=191" thumbnail="1][attachment id=192" thumbnail="1]

• Premium Member

[attachment id=193" thumbnail="1][attachment id=194" thumbnail="1][attachment id=195" thumbnail="1][attachment id=196" thumbnail="1]

• Premium Member

[attachment id=197" thumbnail="1][attachment id=198" thumbnail="1][attachment id=199" thumbnail="1][attachment id=200" thumbnail="1]

• Premium Member

See, if I can add pix... I will, hehehe!!! Anyway, that modified '59 Cushman Eagle was my first two-wheeler; and, check out those SHOES, if you can see them in the small pic!

Hopefully, tomorrow I'll have a deal on the FZ-07.  More, when I know and start modifying it. ;-)

Archived