The MT-07 Forum

How much practice?

motocr

Just curious as to how much practice the more Experienced riders did when they were beginning? And what kind of practice you all did? Brakes and hard braking is a must and a bit of countersteering I think my would be the most helpful.

I'm saving up for a bike and looking mainly at the fz07, but I live on my college campus and at night it's dead here not a party school. So I have large empty parking lots I can practice and I have insomnia so I figured I can get 4 hrs of riding practice each night in parking lots and at around 3 am when there are very few cars on the road get over 50 mph practice in.

pantheraleo

There's a guy on YouTube....CaptCrashIdaho.

Look him up. He has many great practice videos. The Box, U-turns, tight right turns, etc.

I practice all of those drills his "Road Work" series.

Road Work: The ALT MOST Cone Weave:

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

I'm saving up for a bike and looking mainly at the fz07, but I live on my college campus and at night it's dead here not a party school. So I have large empty parking lots I can practice and I have insomnia so I figured I can get 4 hrs of riding practice each night in parking lots and at around 3 am when there are very few cars on the road get over 50 mph practice in.
Practicing slow speeds exercices is a good things. But a couples of hours in a row is a mistake. When we get tired, the risk of mistakes is greater. I teached some riding class 10 years ago. Near the end of the class, it was easy to find out who was tired. So, the best, imho is to practice regularly with  shorter periods. 
I didn't really practice when i started street riding. I rode off road bike since i was a kid. It's a very good way to practice countersterring, counterweght, urgency breaking, etc. 

We're lucky over here, because at some places, we have access to the parking lot where the tests are done to obtain the permit. So, we can practice the same circuit as we did for the test. Usually, i go over there to practice at the beginning of a season or when i have a new bike.

I take a riding class on a track, even if i did some track days before. Wow, what a great improvements on my skills. I wish that everyone do the same once in their life. I rode several years with dualsport bikes. So, i really like riding on unpaved roads. Riding in these conditions with a street bike is a very good practice. And i enjoy it a lot.

The important thing is to take your time, be progressive .. and have a blast doing it.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

fromthecage

If you haven't taken the MSF course, I would highly recommend it. I took it and it helped me a lot with low speed maneuvering, cornering, and emergency stopping.

I second fromthecage, even if not required of you in your state, the lessons taught and practice in my MSF course were invaluable. Highly recommended.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Actually Just yesterday I went to the community college parking lot where I took my MSF course and did the U-turn box a few times (Apparently Iowa DOT revised the requirements to only do 1 U-turn not a figure eight). Always remind yourself to look where you want to go. Just try to go out on a ride for 30 min. to an hour a day. Start on quiet straight low speed back roads and gradually add in other things.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

I learned to ride in the woods and illegally on small city streets and back country dirt roads. The county sheriff's really tested my power sliding/counter steering skills on the dirt roads so my hat's off to the boys in brown for their cooperation.  I did this at age 13 so I don't recommend doing what I did, I was immortal then. I do recommend learning in the dirt before hitting the streets because there are things you can learn there that you most likely won't on the street, yet, those same [video src=https://youtu.be/u6IBV07V57A] techniques can be applied to street riding and make you a better rider. Unfortunately, not everyone has a forest behind their home or a dirt track near-by like I did. I advise the MSF course and get some practice braking in that lot. Start slow and build up speed. Practice locking that rear tire up so if it locks up unexpectedly you will be accustomed to it and handle it well. Braking is probably the one thing you want to do better than anything else because more riders are hurt/killed because some cager didn't see them and pulled out in front of them. I highly recommend to ride in that inside lane, also, to give yourself more room between yourself and them if they do pull out and for other reasons I won't go into. Get yourself a nice after market pipe and wake that sleepy little college up, start a party and be a hit!

Beemer

Archived