The MT-07 Forum

gearbox clatter

fflier9

Hello,
I have 250 miles on a brand new fz07. So far, I really like it. Wish the fuel tank was larger and it had a better rear suspension, but eh...

Anyway, my question is this: There's this clattering coming from (I think) the gearbox, really only noticeable in pulling in the clutch to shift and while engine braking. Going over bumps, the bike protests by its "dimes in a blender" noise.  

I gave it fresh semi-synthetic oil at 200 miles and it definitely shifts loads smoother, and the noise is diminished but still present. On a side note, it's baffling that the manual has you wait till 600 miles. Oil was jet-black and and had shards in it.
Since the oil change, I've been letting the engine float into the upper RPM range with some frequency. This seems to make the clatter worse when downshifting.

Could it be the valves? Is it anything I should be concerned about on a bike this fresh, or just keep riding it?

I don't know if it's related, but the bike will stall if the throttle is blipped just right at idle. Happens maybe 1 out of 100 times. Bike has only stalled on its own 3 times.

Ideas? Thanks!

I would take it back to the dealers ASAP.
Any unusual mechanical noise of that magnitude indicates a PROBLEM!
Definitely would NOT ignore and continue to ride!

Its a new bike take it back

Guest Ralph

There's a thread about the stalling have a look, check the chain they soon need adjusting
from new but stay in adjustment after a few hundred miles, the bike is so quiet you hear
every noise.

I know, it is quiet, like a vacuum cleaner. I rode tonight and the noise was just barely detectable. I wonder if it will continue to fade over the rest of the break-in process, if I'm just worrying over nothing. If it doesn't, though, I will contact the dealer.
I was just wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar

Even w/o "shards" or noise from the motor, at 200 miles the oil should not have been black. Something is really wrong.

I'm with Montyst - take it back to the dealer - sooner than later.

• Premium Member
phicurious86

The oil is the most troubling. I changed my oil yesterday at 600 and it wasn't that black and definitely didn't have any shards.

If not for the oil, I'd also suggest a quick clean and lube of the chain. The factory grease isn't so great.

I just put on an after market pipe and noticed the header nuts were loose from the factory. Anyone else have loose header nuts? A couple of them were barely past hand tight. Anyway, I just wonder if perhaps since you hear it when "engine braking" that the clattering could be emanating from a loose header flange. I would check that and other than that I would grab everything I possibly could and give it a shake to see if anything is loose. If nothing, take it to your dealer. I hear a clack sound when I hit small pot holes/bumps (anyone else experience that?)and that's coming from the front end. Everything is tight there so I suspect the culprit is the crappy front shock. Good luck finding it!

Beemer

Guest sportyeight
200 miles and Oil was jet-black and and had shards in it.
Wut? That doesn't sound good, I just changed at 553mi and oil draining from the bike almost looked clean as a fresh bottle.

Guest sportyeight
I hear a clack sound when I hit small pot holes/bumps (anyone else experience that?)and that's coming from the front end.
Ya I get that too.

I just did my first oil change this past weekend at around 530 miles and it was not black, it was almost as clear as new, but I did notice some pieces of black gunk that came out with the oil filter, but nothing too dramatic or out of the ordinary I don't think. I would take it back to the dealer as others suggested.

• Premium Member

I don't know anything about clutches (except how to use them), but if the noise is when engaging/disengaging the clutch, the oil was significantly discolored, and there was a lot of excess shards of material in the oil, is it likely the clutch was excessively worn/burned but not yet to the point of failure?

Again, I am not knowledgeable on it, but just based on the very little I have read (assuming we have what I saw referred to as a wet clutch) it kinda sounds like that might fit the description.

I don't know anything about clutches (except how to use them), but if the noise is when engaging/disengaging the clutch, the oil was significantly discolored, and there was a lot of excess shards of material in the oil, is it likely the clutch was excessively worn/burned but not yet to the point of failure?  
Again, I am not knowledgeable on it, but just based on the very little I have read (assuming we have what I saw referred to as a wet clutch) it kinda sounds like that might fit the description.
Worn out friction disks in the clutch will contribute some color to the oil. (and yes, the 2+ qts of oil is shared by the motor, clutch and gearbox). But that would be a whole bunch of wear on a new clutch in only 200 miles. You'd have to do high rpm, dragstrip worthy launches at pretty much every start to wear out a clutch that much in that time. I guess anything's possible. But still.  
It's OK to see some very fine sparklies in the oil at the 1st change. This is why the 1st change is done so soon and many guys do it even way sooner than manufacturers recommend.  Most of that is from imperfectly cut gears that are wearing in 9not wearing out) with use.

But black oil @200 miles? If not from the clutch, well, I'd rather not even go there. 

git it looked at. 

cherenkovblu3

Just for another comparison, my first change was at 400, oil was still a nice caramel color, and Im pretty hard on my bike / clutch, definitely would have the dealer look at it man

I think I'm having a similar issue. when I'm pulling into a stop on 1st or 2nd gear with the clutch pulled in, i hear a noise that sounds like some circular friction/ racket noise.
its not loud but i do hear it sometimes. I'm going into the dealer to do my first maintenance (656 miles in). I looked into the oil indicator window at the bottom of the bike and it looks pretty dark.

Im hoping for the best.

I think I'm having a similar issue. when I'm pulling into a stop on 1st or 2nd gear with the clutch pulled in, i hear a noise that sounds like some circular friction/ racket noise. its not loud but i do hear it sometimes. I'm going into the dealer to do my first maintenance (656 miles in). I looked into the oil indicator window at the bottom of the bike and it looks pretty dark.

Im hoping for the best.
 Clutches (dry or wet) can make noises with the lever not pulled in neutral. Those noses are more like a rattle and go away as soon as you pull the lever. In those cases, that's normal and can (should) be ignored 
You'll hear all sorts of stuff while coasting in gear that you would not either hear or not be there to hear. I'll bet most of that noise is the chain.

OE chains are not exactly state of the art. try lubing if you haven't

• Global Moderator

^ This. Chain slack and maintenance will make a huge difference.

Also, we have quite a few first time motorcycle owners. You have to realize that riding a motorcycle is quite a different sound experience then your average car. You are basically sitting on top of an engine and there is a lot of stuff going on there. It is amazing to me that it actually doesn't make more noise.

^ This. Chain slack and maintenance will make a huge difference.  
Also, we have quite a few first time motorcycle owners. You have to realize that riding a motorcycle is quite a different sound experience then your average car. You are basically sitting on top of an engine and there is a lot of stuff going on there. It is amazing to me that it actually doesn't make more noise.
You should hear the clatter the Rotax 990 makes! And those motors have a long reputation of being very strong and reliable. The FZ's little mill is a switch watch in comparison.  

I got my first service done and I explained my concerns. the mech said there is nothing wrong going on. I guess all is good. Ill keep paying attention to see if anything else pops up.

went back and reread your 1st post.

What exactly did you mean by "Since the oil change, I've been letting the engine float into the upper RPM range with some frequency. This seems to make the clatter worse when downshifting."

Could you define upper RPM and float?

I just meant that after 200 miles, and the oil change, I started let the engine rev higher to maybe 7k. I'm still not being very hard on the bike, though. I apologize for the ambiguous language.

The clatter seems a little better. Its more of a buzz that happens when I pull the clutch in to shift, and when the clutch is in to coast. It doesn't seem to be as bad during engine braking anymore. The buzzing/clatter seems to be the most pronounced in 3rd and 4th.

Even with the counter balancer shaft and the 270 degree crank, this thing is still a parallel twin. It does have some vibration. Since 1976, I've owned 2 opposed twin boxers and currently own a 990cc, 60 degree V twin as well as the FZ. They all have made different noises and have their own characteristics. I'd say the FZ has the most vibration of those. It's not bad, but the Rotax feels like a V12 in comparison. THere was a K bike in there for a while. That thing put my hands and feet to sleep. Give me a twin - any twin over that bike

Except for going slow in traffic, no one should be pulling the clutch in and coasting at speed. Sounds like you might be doing this. You'll hear all manner of noises from the chain as well as from the gearbox as there will be no load on the meshed gears or the links in the chain to help keep them quiet. Combine that with the motor being real quiet at idle and you'll hear stuff that'll drive you crazy.

Eliminate anything that can make noises - start with the tool bag under the passenger seat. Take it out or cram a rag in there to keep it from bouncing about.

The black oil at your 1st oil change would still concern me. Too bad you didn't save a sample of it. If it comes out black at the next change, show it to the dealer and maybe consider sending it out for analyzsis. That will tell you exactly what's in that oil to turn it so dark.

OK, you need to drink less coffee ( i can fall asleep with home brewed Starbucks in my hand) and start drinking better whiskeys.

When you said black, that's not the color I envisioned. Yeah, it's not out of the bottle new looking, but that's fine for a 1st oil change. You gotta remember that there are gear bits gets polished, clutch fuzzies breaking free and maybe even some blow-by combustion products in the 1st x number of miles with ring seating.

If you really need to feel secure about what's in the can, there's http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ $25 per report. Of course, the 25 bucks will also buy a nice bottle of sippin' beverage

Archived