The MT-07 Forum

Drag racing Fz07 and sprocket changes

howworkclutch

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

I'm going to Rockingham dragway in June for a party. They open the strip up for 50's style 1/8 mile grudge racing. I go to this party every year and usually run a buell 1125r, and usually run the full quarter with the rest of the big bikes.

But my Buell is in pieces so I'm taking the yamerhamer.  That means I can't run with the big boys on the quarter so my focus is on abusing the sportsters and chop-jobs in the 1/8th.

Has anyone dragged on an 07?  How'd it go?  Think it needs a sprocket change?  I'm accustomed to having to sneak out of the hole on the torque-monster buell, so this will be my first dump-n-run bike.  I don't suspect there will be much drama getting off the line.  But a little extra torque to jump out would be nice.

The limiting factor to any sprocket changes: I'm riding cross-country with a group of motocycle whackjobs the week before the rally, so the bike has to be back-roadable. I can't carry tools/sprockets all week, so whatever I put on has to do double-duty: road-going and drag-stripable.

Thanks in advance

-HowWorkClutch

thomascrown

You don't need sprockets, because you actually will have to sneak out of the hole in first gear. If you're too careless, the front tire will kiss the sky.

You don't need sprockets, because you actually will have to sneak out of the hole in first gear. If you're too careless, the front tire will kiss the sky.  

Agreed. I haven't dragged the bike "officially" but I've done some quick launches and this bike will hit 12 o'clock and go back in time if you're not careful lol I also had to tap the rear brake a couple times when shifting into 2nd due the front wheel coming up too much too fast aha. This bike likes to get up and go in 1st and 2nd.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

sounds like second gear launches to me.

it would be nice if the rain would stop blowing out my weekends.

-HowWorkClutch

I haven't officially dragged my bike either but I have done some spirited launches against buddies and yes the front wheel will definitely lift in first gear and probably in second gear too, I haven't tried a second gear launch yet but it would help for sure

2015 Matte Metallic Grey FZ-07

Archived