The MT-07 Forum

Lubing your chain

Guru

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member
phicurious86

When taking off the cover over the front sprocket is there anything important to keep track of with the shift rod?

I got this tip from the tech that delivered my bike. 
Put your bike on a (paddock) stand, start you engine, let it idle and shift in first.
If you don't want to buy a paddock stand, you can use a milk crate. You can often find one at no charge. Put it on under the right swingarm and Voilà. 

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

• 5 months later...

Hey @guru, I know this post is a bit old, but I wanted to ask about the front sprocket. Yours looks pretty immaculate in these pictures! I'm curious what the before shot would've looked like. I've wanted to get in there and clean mine, but I wasn't able to get the front sprocket cover off. Looks like maybe the bolts have blue loctite? I was going to take a mallet to the allen wrench to try and work it loose, but I started to doubt myself and I stopped.

Do you think it's worth it to get this thing open to clean out the front sprocket? Will I need to torque the cover bolts back to spec, or is it okay to just hand-tighten as much as I can?

• Premium Member

Yes you need to take that cover off to get all the gunk out. ( all the gunk in there can effect how the bike runs)

the bolts will come loose just need to give it some effort. the bolts just need to be snug all they do is hold the cover on like 10 ft lbs if that.( I don't have the book with me for the exact spec)

Take off the shift linkage just take the bolt all the way and it will slide off the shaft.
Take off the 3 bolts holding the cover on.
take off the plastic chain guide under the cover it will need to be cleaned too. ( its the plastic U shaped thing toward the front of the bike next to the gear).
you will see how much gunk you will need to clean when the cover comes off.
Make sure when you put the cover on the wires go back in the grove on the cover and not under it next to the gear.
Just mark where your shift linkages is when you put it back no biggie but it makes it easier so you don't have to remember where it was.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

I will be cleaning my front sprocket tonight as well with the chain. My (attempted) trick to getting some torque on these bolts will be using an allen bit fit into a socket with my large socket wrench. If that doesn't work I can always differ to the breaker bar but I seriously doubt it'll come to that.  Just as a rule of thumb, I always use thread locker whenever it was previously applied by manufacturer.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/guerro501/AllenBits%202_zpsqedqv1uf.jpg

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• Premium Member

I only use thread lock if I don't want it to come off again. This cover should be taken off for cleaning regularly IMO. They are steel bolts going into aluminum is the issue ( corrosion happens with aluminum and steel bolts tend to get stuck from this) be careful put them bask in by hand.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Awesome, thanks @jake, I'll give it another go this weekend. There's over 6000 miles worth of gunk in there, I'm sure it'll feel real good to get it all out of there...

I just cleaned my front sprocket 2 weeks ago, but did it around Jan-Feb as well.

Those 3 screws in general are tight, what I mean is, even after you break them lose, it requires some effort to unscrew them. No clue why. But yeah because of this, you probably don't need loctite it when done nor do you need to torque it down. Just hand tight it hard.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

I just cleaned my front sprocket 2 weeks ago, but did it around Jan-Feb as well. 
Those 3 screws in general are tight, what I mean is, even after you break them lose, it requires some effort to unscrew them. No clue why. But yeah because of this, you probably don't need loctite it when done nor do you need to torque it down. Just hand tight it hard.

They're tight because of factory applied thread locker... When I took them off, I just put them back on. No additional thread locker as they turned in with sufficient resistance.

The bolts are definitely tight and I wouldn't use the factory Allen key or any Allen key for that matter. Either a good t-handle hex or hex bit for a ratchet. Important thing is they fit snug, so as not to round off the head.

Don't go hammering the Allen key or using a cheater on it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Global Moderator
Hey @guru, I know this post is a bit old, but I wanted to ask about the front sprocket. Yours looks pretty immaculate in these pictures! I'm curious what the before shot would've looked like. I've wanted to get in there and clean mine, but I wasn't able to get the front sprocket cover off. Looks like maybe the bolts have blue loctite? I was going to take a mallet to the allen wrench to try and work it loose, but I started to doubt myself and I stopped. 
Do you think it's worth it to get this thing open to clean out the front sprocket? Will I need to torque the cover bolts back to spec, or is it okay to just hand-tighten as much as I can?

Sorry, missed you post.  I forgot to take a before picture, but it looked dirty with grease dirt build-up, especially inside the cover itself. Taking the cover off was tricky I remember. There is blue loctite there but the bolts are not that big so a bit of force was enough to break them loose.

I thought it was definitely worth taking apart for a good cleanup because the grime get caught there.  

I just put the bolts back in and tighten them with my ratchet. I didn't look for torque specs but there was a bit of loctite left on the bolts and I haven't lost them yet. It has been a year.

lubricating the chain while the bike is in gear is probably fine as long as you don't get your fingers anywhere near it, just don't try to clean the chain with the engine spinning the wheel. If a finger gets caught you're going to be in a very bad spot.
Wanted to piggyback on what @superboots said. I had a 600rr before my fz so I was on their forums for a while. There was a member who cleaned their chain with the engine on and had a piece of his finger cut off.

Here's the thread, including graphic images at a separate link in the thread.
http://www.600rr.net/vb/35-maintenance/82469-chain-cleaning-101-*warning*-do-not-clean-your-chain-engine-running.html

DO NOT CLEAN THE CHAIN WITH THE ENGINE ON! The convenience is not worth losing a finger or multiple.

Archived