The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 Checking your oil level

Guru

A couple of years ago, I bought a Honda oem center stand for my 2014 CB500F from BikeBandit and it was $150. It shipped from a Honda warehouse in San Diego and went on in minutes because Honda installed the attachment points on the frame during production. A center stand is the best maintenance feature of a bike and all bikes should at least have the attachment points installed during production.
I totally agree. Center stands are so useful. It's basically means having a center stand with you at all times and it never gets in the way of removing a wheel if you need to. 

By the way guys, if you're able to flat foot both sides then just lean over (be sure to have your one piece ;) ) and take a picture of the sight glass. So long as both feet are flat you know you're more or less level and oil should be in view. It's not insanely important to have an exact oil level (you put the exact amount when you changed the oil remember?); it's just a way of making sure you don't run low. It's why you have a range and not a set amount.

firstyammerha

Talking about the sight glass accuracy, I've had the oil changed at the dealership twice and afterwards, both times, the oil level was totally filling the window. Being concerned about crankshaft windage and maybe damage, I drained 300cc of oil from the engine to bring the level to the max fill line. The engine sounded more clattery after this procedure. But,I'm not getting any signals on the dash alerting me to a low oil pressure situation. I might just pour that 300cc of oil back in the engine.

Talking about the sight glass accuracy, I've had the oil changed at the dealership twice and afterwards, both times, the oil level was totally filling the window. Being concerned about crankshaft windage and maybe damage, I drained 300cc of oil from the engine to bring the level to the max fill line. The engine sounded more clattery after this procedure. But,I'm not getting any signals on the dash alerting me to a low oil pressure situation. I might just pour that 300cc of oil back in the engine.
When I bought mine they delivered it to my house with window full. I questioned it but it ran fine so I didn't drain any oil. I've noticed the same thing with every oil change so I just put in the 2.75 quarts and ignore the supposed, overfill, according to the window. No problems with how my bike runs either. 

Beemer

firstyammerha

I didn't notice any noises, vibrations or other disturbing mechanical commotions with the higher oil level. The bike was actually quieter on the 6 mile ride home from the dealer so I'm going to pour the 300cc back into the engine. Any future oil changes, I'll do myself anyway using the amount shown in the owners manual. I bet the same team that did the oil level sight glass, did the fuel level calibration too.

Archived