The MT-07 Forum

fuel system fault

pmolzer

Hi,
my new 2015 fz-07 had a blinking fuel meter display from when it was new.  Took me a couple days after purchase to check the manual and see that the 8-blink sequence indicated a fault.  It's now taken apart at the dealer, waiting for a new wiring harness to arrive.   After much back and forth between them and the experts at Yamaha, they decided that its bad connection hidden somewhere in the harness, and so the whole harness must be replaced.  They swear they've never seen this before, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen it. 

• Global Moderator

I have never heard of this before. A faulty connection yes, but I'd imagine a fault in the harness is very rare.

btw, what color is your bike? Your member map pin is yellow, I presume that's wrong.

• Global Moderator

I expect the code indicates a bad connection somewhere in the wiring harness and instead of spending hours of labor tracking it down it is easier (and in the end cheaper) to just replace it. I would rather they do that if it was mine. Some tech with questionable soldering skills working on my writing harness make me nervous.

oh i didn't know pin color was bike color. I'll see if I can turn it gray. After a week at the dealer they told me that the harness is backordered. so they reassembled the bike as-is and advised to track my miles until the fuel guage is fixed. They were told by the yamaha distributor that they've sold 3 harnesses so far for the fz-07. Mine is supposedly on a boat somewhere between japan and the usa. I agree that they just don't want to deal with peeling open the harness bundle and replacing individual wires.

• Global Moderator

I am happy they are going to replace the harness for you. Too bad about the delay though. In my experience once you start messing with bundles of wires when you find and fix one problem you end up making two more. Replacing the whole thing is the way to go.

• Global Moderator
oh i didn't know pin color was bike color. I'll see if I can turn it gray....
Great, thank you !  I have a serious case of OCD and you can imagine what a yellow pin does to me. It looks soooo much better now.  respect-048.gif

• Global Moderator
oh i didn't know pin color was bike color. I'll see if I can turn it gray....
Great, thank you !  I have a serious case of OCD and you can imagine what a yellow pin does to me. It looks soooo much better now.  respect-048.gif 

What if he got the plastics for a yellow Fz-09?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Global Moderator
What if he got the plastics for a yellow Fz-09?
They wouldn't fit on the FZ07 lol. But I know what you mean.  
If someone changes the color of the bike, the color of the pin needs to be changed too. For example, as you can see on the map, there is a green pin. That's because @rmdet painted his panels camo green. 

We might be seeing different colors in the future though. In Europe they have yellow MT07's: 

2015-yamaha-mt-07-eu-extreme-yellow-accessorizedstatic-001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

To close this one out, the dealer replaced both the harness and the guage package. They mentioned that Yamaha has been seeing a few bugs like this.

fooschnickens

Interesting. Glad they made it right as quick as they could. Hope the bike gives you many trouble-free miles!

Archived