The MT-07 Forum

Mirror stem adjustment, please?!?

avanti

• Premium Member

I adjusted both lever brackets, brake and clutch, since they were turned too far down to use efficiently and comfortably.  This added to the pleasure of riding immensely but... though the left mirror still adjusted adequately all I can see in my right mirror is my belly-button!!! 

Now, there may be a time and place to contemplate ones navel but my guess is it is NOT when riding a bike!  So, all I need to do is loosen the mirror stem (it goes into a black barrel-nut) and turn it, but... the nut refused to loosen--there is what may be a cap on top of the mirror stem that could hide a socket-head screw or some-such, or...?

I don't want the screw-up a perfectly good new part out of ignorance and the Owners Manual doesn't even mention the mirrors, and my Service Manual has yet to arrive.  Surely, someone else has had to adjust the entire mirror at the handle-bar bracket besides me.

If anyone can tell me how to adjust this I would be MUCH obliged!!!  MANY, MANY THANKS, in advance!!!

• Global Moderator

I think the right mirror is the one that is reverse threaded. And if you can see your belly button in the mirror I suggest you wear a jacket when you ride :)

• Premium Member

Thanks, mjh!  You mean the stem is reverse-threaded into the barrel-nut, or...?   Yeah, my belly-button... that ol' X-ray vision's still kicking in once in a while!  ;-)

This is the wrong side, but its the same. I could only find a close up of the clutch side. You don't need to loosen the nut to turn it, the top portion should be able to swivel on its own.

mt07_r10.jpg

I just realized I spelled it wrong on top, but correctly on the bottom.

• Like 1

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member

Many thanks, skeeterh!  That told me what I needed to know.  I didn't realize the mirror stem/arm would rotate "as is."  I just ran out to the shop and put more PRESSURE on the arm and it rotated the whole works exactly as needed.  NOW, I can clutch, stop, AND see behind me... on BOTH sides!!!

Very much appreciated!!!

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Bringing up an old thread. So there's no way to tighten the mirror stem down so it doesn't rotate in high speed travels? I removed the top cap to find what looked like a 10mm nut, makes sense you just snug her down more to snug the stem down so it doesn't rotate but for the damn life of me I cannot get any sockets to get into the diameter of the recess to get onto the nut. I work in an auto shop were all master techs with 30k+ in tools, and I could not for the life of me find anyone with one that would work, 10mm impact nope, 10mm chrome nope, 3/8 chrome nope. 10mm chrome wire wheelded down to fit into the recess, nope. I ended up just taping the damn stem to help prevent it from rotating which helped a ton, but on interstate speeds it still wants to fold in on me. About to be done and replace with bar end mirrors, but to be honest I really like the stock OEM, tons of clear view everywhere you want and really comfortable to find, no having to move your head to look where you want to see. Ive had bar end mirrors in the past that were a pain to search for and look into where these are just in the right spot always, well until the damn stem rotates.

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, iSmkGrnBud said:

Bringing up an old thread. So there's no way to tighten the mirror stem down so it doesn't rotate in high speed travels? I removed the top cap to find what looked like a 10mm nut, makes sense you just snug her down more to snug the stem down so it doesn't rotate but for the damn life of me I cannot get any sockets to get into the diameter of the recess to get onto the nut. I work in an auto shop were all master techs with 30k+ in tools, and I could not for the life of me find anyone with one that would work, 10mm impact nope, 10mm chrome nope, 3/8 chrome nope. 10mm chrome wire wheelded down to fit into the recess, nope. I ended up just taping the damn stem to help prevent it from rotating which helped a ton, but on interstate speeds it still wants to fold in on me. About to be done and replace with bar end mirrors, but to be honest I really like the stock OEM, tons of clear view everywhere you want and really comfortable to find, no having to move your head to look where you want to see. Ive had bar end mirrors in the past that were a pain to search for and look into where these are just in the right spot always, well until the damn stem rotates.

Have you tried tightening the nut just above the "perch" on the handlebar?

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

12 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

Have you tried tightening the nut just above the "perch" on the handlebar?

I have not. To me that looks like it will only tighten the entire mirror assembly to the perch itself. If those threads are threaded into the perch to mount the assembly that shouldn't affect the free rotating top half. The top half of the mirror assembly rotates freely above that nut suggesting that something above the free rotating stem has to be tightened down to hold the rotating part down more securely to the entire mirror assembly. I mean ill give it a shot but I just don't see how that works.

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, iSmkGrnBud said:

I have not. To me that looks like it will only tighten the entire mirror assembly to the perch itself. If those threads are threaded into the perch to mount the assembly that shouldn't affect the free rotating top half. The top half of the mirror assembly rotates freely above that nut suggesting that something above the free rotating stem has to be tightened down to hold the rotating part down more securely to the entire mirror assembly. I mean ill give it a shot but I just don't see how that works.

Look up a few postings above your original question by SKH...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

45 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

Look up a few postings above your original question by SKH...

I have, that's why I was on this exact thread, thought maybe someone had more insight than what I was seeing. I mean the picture does say swivels INDEFINITELY and SKH also states the top part should be able to swivel. That's why I was asking, because I want to NOT make it swivel no matter what, even if I smack it. That is a mounting nut, not a nut to tighten the ability of the swivel. I'm not trying to throw shade at all I appreciate the responses, just trying to fix what seems like the dumbest ass engineered mirror I've ever seen. Just went out to the bike, no, that nut does nothing to the swivel amount, just a mounting nut. Ill just leave it taped for now and end up replacing the mirrors. Even the manual shows it as an assembly without a top nut to tighten down to tighten the swivel factor. Thanks for the replies mate, cheers. 

Untitled.jpg

Edited by iSmkGrnBud

I remember having to loosen my swivel. They were too tight to adjust. Not the external nut you see below the swivel, but the fastener down inside. I no longer have my stock mirrors, so I can't go refresh my memory on what is under that black plastic cap (#17 in your picture). 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, shinyribs said:

I remember having to loosen my swivel. They were too tight to adjust. Not the external nut you see below the swivel, but the fastener down inside. I no longer have my stock mirrors, so I can't go refresh my memory on what is under that black plastic cap (#17 in your picture). 

Yea I tried to get a socket onto that fastener and had no luck but ill find something and make it work. Thanks for the reply!!

Edited by iSmkGrnBud

11 hours ago, iSmkGrnBud said:

Yea I tried to get a socket onto that fastener and had no luck but ill find something and make it work. Thanks for the reply!!

This is the exact same issue im having. My right mirror is too loose and it rotates too freely around the top nut. I cant find a socket to fit in to the top to tighten it. I have even tried to use a screw driver to fix the nut in place and then screw the bolt using the indent at the bottom.

On 3/11/2020 at 7:52 PM, nbd1912 said:

This is the exact same issue im having. My right mirror is too loose and it rotates too freely around the top nut. I cant find a socket to fit in to the top to tighten it. I have even tried to use a screw driver to fix the nut in place and then screw the bolt using the indent at the bottom.

Have either of you considered getting new mirrors? These are cheap, better than stock and according to the reviews, adjustable by hand and they don't come loose all the time. Just throwing it out there, gl.

Beemer

16 hours ago, Beemer said:

Have either of you considered getting new mirrors? These are cheap, better than stock and according to the reviews, adjustable by hand and they don't come loose all the time. Just throwing it out there, gl.

The links busted. Yea, I mean that's what I'm gonna have to do. Personally I like the look of the stocks, and I like where they sit, the lens them self just aren't the best so its probably worth the upgrade.

17 hours ago, iSmkGrnBud said:

The links busted. Yea, I mean that's what I'm gonna have to do. Personally I like the look of the stocks, and I like where they sit, the lens them self just aren't the best so its probably worth the upgrade.

This link should work. These look stock but according to the description and reviews they're better than stock. the mirror itself is convex so you get a wider view.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H4VJ09E/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

Beemer

3 hours ago, Beemer said:

This link should work. These look stock but according to the sescription and reviews they're better than stock. the mirror itself is convex so you get a wider view.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H4VJ09E/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Nice, thank you. Those do look nice, If I end up getting em ill let you know they are.

• Like 1