The MT-07 Forum

Feeling "leaned over"

ericpev

• Premium Member

Update: resolved with rear wheel alignment. Thanks guys!

Hey guys. I've had my FZ for a couple months now and I absolutely love it. However, the past few weeks, I've noticed that my bike feels leaned over to the left or tilted when I'm riding in a completely straight line. It also visually looks that way when i look down at the tank in relation to the road. I've tried shifting my weight a little but when I do, I can tell that I'm not centered so it's not that. Also feels leaned no matter what part of the lane I'm in so its not the crowning of the road. Haven't dropped the bike and didn't notice this "lean" for the first couple of months. Am I crazy? Or can something cause this?

Guest Ralph

Only thing I can think of is the forks are slightly out of aliment
it does not take much for it to feel a bit strange and bikes often
seem to come new like that, it's only a adjustment thing but quite
hard to get them spot on.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

check the rear axle marks on the swing-arm. if the rear wheel appears to be aligned properly then the fork may need attention. i'm not sure what the torque-procedure is, but if you can find it, and go through it, you just may solve the problem.

on the rotax-powered buells, wonkiness in the chassis was common on new bikes. the fix was to loosen all the fork bolts and retorque according to the manual.

-HowWorkClutch

bmwpowere36m3

Have someone ride behind you and verify... maybe it’s just in your head. Otherwise, I'd verify: front forks are aligned and the rear wheel is aligned to the front. I like the "BMW" method of fork alignment, by using a glass plate on the fork tubes, loosening up the upper triple clamp bolts, holding the front wheel between your legs and twisting the handlebars. Then you recheck with a glass plate till it sits flat and doesn't "click" when tapped in the corners. Don't forget to re-torque the upper triple clamp bolts. As far as rear wheel alignment, sometimes the manufacturers markings on the swingarm (for chain adjustment) are not spot on... I always at least check it once, on some bikes its right (so I don't use the string-method again, just set so the marks are even on both sides) and on others its not.

bmwpowere36m3
Thanks for the responses. The lean is to the left when I'm riding. It's definitely hard to get the front forks perfect as I have tried the hold-the-tire-between-legs-and-twist method but my tweaks don't seem to work. How hard is aligning the rear? Should a shop do it?

Are you loosening up the upper triple clamp bolts? It shouldn't be difficult... check with plate glass to verify, not just looking at the tire and handlebars.

• Premium Member

Btw, a glass store should have some odd sized pieces of glass fairly cheap. Get the thickest available. It's also great for "truing" surfaces of small parts.

My only guess is, unless you have something obviously wrong with the bike, due to the road crown.

On my bikes, the area of the tires just to the left of center, especially the front tire, gets worn noticeably more.
This includes my FZ-07.

Archived