The MT-07 Forum

High/Low Beam + Flasher Issue/ is This Normal?

fivefootthree

fivefootthree

Hey guys, so I looked around to see if anyone else has had a similar issue but didn't find anything on it.  First street bike and mainly pertaining to the issue, first use of a dual filament bulb.  After reading about the terribly aimed low beam, I went ahead and adjusted that (was about a foot low) and took the bike for the first night ride (only about 10min).  Now for my concern.
When using the low beams, they seems pretty decent after the adjustment. I switch to high beams and find them to be not very good (a bit brighter but where the light was positioned I did not like and was not beneficial), and I would rather just use the low beams.  Now while using the low beams I hit the flasher button and the light get much better, but i do not want to be holding the flasher the whole time.

What is actually happening: low beam uses 1 filament (front), flip to high beam also only 1 filament (back), low beam+flash uses both (front and back).  Is this normal or is there an issue with my high beam?  Why would the the high beam switch only activate 1 filament when using the low beam and flash button activate both and provide much better light coverage?

Low beam: Light below distinct line
OegCMYL.jpg

High Beam: Light mostly above line
37A163a.jpg

Low Beam + Flasher button held: Light above and below line=lots of good light
D9IIHyj.jpg

Now obviously this is pointed at the garage (white and semi reflective), but when pointed down the road using just the high beams there seems to be a very large void of unlit space in front of the bike for a good number of feet.

• Premium Member

It is exactly the way comparably equipped car systems work, or at least, used to.  One filament for "low," another for "high," and both for "pass/flash."

fivefootthree

So if that is normal operation and the high and low beams adjust simultaneously, then there is no way to adjust the high without also changing the low except a LED or HID retrofit? Just confused as to why flash would be brighter than high, its not like you can even use the flash when the highs are on either. Makes more sense to me to have them be the same in terms of filament operation but high would be "permanent" and flash just momentary. But what do I know. I wonder if it would be possible to wire the rocker switch to the momentary, so they do the same thing.. I could just be being over critical on this, but it just annoyed me when I rode around playing with the lights.

• Global Moderator

The adjuster moves the bulb so you can not adjust the low and high beams separately.

If you choose to ride around on low beam all the time (at night, I assume), maybe you have the headlight beam adjusted too high.

I actually feel the stock headlight is just fine and dandy.

pantheraleo
If you choose to ride around on low beam all the time (at night, I assume), maybe you have the headlight beam adjusted too high. 
I actually feel the stock headlight is just fine and dandy.

I actually agree. The high beam stock on my bike is good for seeing down the road, without being obnoxiously high. The low beam is fine for low speeds or in traffic/lit areas.

I did order the OSRAM Night Racer 110 H4, because its cheap and supposedly an upgrade to the stock. Someone here on the forum liked theirs...

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

Wonder how difficult it would be to wire the high beam switch to fire both filaments. I know this would shorten the bulb life but I don't ride too far with only the high beam on and it would make it a much safer ride. Might have to mess around with this one. I don't plan on doing a light switch to HID or LED

Guest Ralph

Wiring them both on wont make you popular with on coming vesicles and if
your laws are like ours may end with you getting a ticket, it may also
damage the light lens as it's not made of glass.

I would only wire them as both on for the high beam setting which easily switch back to low only with oncoming traffic.

Wonder how difficult it would be to wire the high beam switch to fire both filaments. I know this would shorten the bulb life but I don't ride too far with only the high beam on and it would make it a much safer ride. Might have to mess around with this one. I don't plan on doing a light switch to HID or LED
Actually might do more harm to the housing than the bulb to have both filaments on all the time. The low beam is 55W and reflected down. The high beam is 60W and reflected more straight out. You might find the reflective coating and maybe even the plastic lens start to age prematurely due to seeing 115W (~2x the heat)  all the time. 
If you do a lot of night riding and aren't happy with the lighting, a better solution would be an aftermarket spot light down low ( about where the eeper is) and on the right side (left side for UK, etc.) of the bike. It could be pointed out ahead like the high beam but it would be less likely to blind oncoming drivers. You could use the switched aux plug to fire a relay for that extra light so you'd not even need a switch. .  

• Premium Member

Yes, simply add the type of driving light you wish oriented correctly for the specific lens design. Be sure to do so with an appropriate relay in the system. There must be motorcycle-sized ones available, since many Goldwings seem to have an abundance of them...

I've none on my bikes but plenty on my Excalibur below that was a rally car in Europe most of its life... FIAT LUX!!!

[attachment id=270" thumbnail="1]

Archived