The MT-07 Forum

well hello there mr. bmw

fromthecage

• Premium Member

I think these bikes would have to be extremely reliable and very polished for Americans to get over the fact that they are manufactured in India, which may be a great country but isn't exactly internationally known for its manufacturing.

fooschnickens

Not to mention that BMW is down near the bottom of the reliability index along with HD. It'd have to be Japanese reliability and pricing to sway any new riders to their camp.

• Premium Member

I own a 03 325i and I LOVE that car..so easy to maintain and reliable..Bikes in the other hand..I wouldn't trust them just yet..I would stick to Yamaha, Susuki, Honda, Kawasaki, Harley, then BMW

• Global Moderator

I actually do research to see if my vehicle (car, bike etc..) is physically made in Japan.
I have been lucky with their products and every time I deviate from my rule I am disappointed.
But it is getting more difficult. As for bikes, a lot of smaller displacement bikes are made elsewhere. Honda's are assembled in Thailand and even the new Yamaha R3 is made in Indonesia.

fromthecage

Don't rule out India just yet. Hero does very well for itself, though I don't know if we will see them here in the states as predicted since EBR is now out.

I think these bikes would have to be extremely reliable and very polished for Americans to get over the fact that they are manufactured in India, which may be a great country but isn't exactly internationally known for its manufacturing.
  IDK, doesn't seem to be curbing the enthusiasm for the Duke/RC 390 from KTM.  Not saying those won't have reliability issues, but from what I hear the dealers can't keep them on the lot.  I think the "snob factor" allure of BMW and KTM can sell a lot of bikes no matter where they are made.  Of course you have to consider the buying audience.  No way Harley could sell a bike here that was made in India.  

IDK, doesn't seem to be curbing the enthusiasm for the Duke/RC 390 from KTM.  Not saying those won't have reliability issues, but from what I hear the dealers can't keep them on the lot.  I think the "snob factor" allure of BMW and KTM can sell a lot of bikes no matter where they are made.  Of course you have to consider the buying audience.  No way Harley could sell a bike here that was made in India.
My friend just bought a Duke 390 and from what I've seen with it the many times hes been over, the fit and finish is pretty darn good. I think that bikes made in India don't just automatically equal poor quality. Sure some are but if they are made right, it doesn't matter where they are assembled or made. I think the new little KTM's are made right and I bet the BMW would be too.

fromthecage

@panzer716 I think it was in reference to the KTM's being reliable. From my understanding they can be tempermental and have a pretty serious maintenance schedule

@panzer716 I think it was in reference to the KTM's being reliable. From my understanding they can be tempermental and have a pretty serious maintenance schedule
Well, for my friend, only time will tell. He hasn't even done the break in service yet.

I think the "snob factor" applies more to Harley riders. It's like 90% or better of the riders I see going past me that act like they're too good to do the little wave thing or a nod happen to be on Harley's. Even when parked and standing next to their bikes talking they still ignore you/give the stink-eye if you aren't on a Harley. That smug attitude surely can't come from them thinking Harley's are the best unless Harley put subliminal messages in their commercials so it's more likely for the fact Harley is "Made in Murica, by gum!". Those types remind me of how in the 70's all you heard was, buy American cars, don't buy Japanese cars. I thought motorcycling was about feeling free, not what you rode. I guess some, like the KKK, just want to hang on to their hate. I don't let them bother me, though, I never wanted ignorant friends to begin with.

Beemer

Ok, I've got a BMW (motorcycle) in addition to my FZ-07 but really don't want to be called a snob because of it :D seriously I bought my first BMW in the 70's a R100S and have had a fair number over the years mostly because they were motorcycles that were very useful, always had good seats for the most part, handled pretty good, had good seats, had ABS and heated grips when they became available reasonable power and were passenger friendly. I won't however say they were reliable pretty much had many more problems than other makes I have owned. I had the R100S which cost a princely sum at that point and the rear main seal failed the first week, not so bad until the mechanic told me it was a common occurrence. My R1200R has not given me any problems (yet) but it is a pretty expensive proposition considering what it is.

For the record I put "snob factor" in quotes for a reason. Haha. Not on here to call anybody a snob by any means. By all means everyone should ride what they want to ride. All I was trying to say is, that like BMW/Mercedes/Audi/etc cars, BMW/KTM/Ducati/etc bikes sell to certain audiences by name value alone. That said I'd happily take a R1200GSA or 1290 Super Adventure if anyone wants to buy me one. 8D

Archived