The MT-07 Forum

Why did the mt125 get USD forks

Guest brickst3r

Guest brickst3r

So I was just looking at the mt125 and I notice it got upside down forks. Why did the 07 not get it? I'm not sure how good the mt125's suspension is but it definitely looks better. Wonder if it's compatible with the 07 since it's also 41mm.

Why?
To sell bikes. :)

I wouldn't bother as that bike has a one brake caliper setup (and, what's the size of the 125's front wheel?), and I'd bet you'd have to go into the fork and respring and revalve it for the FZ-07's heavier weight.
I'd put any effort into improving the FZ-07 fork innards while keeping the outside appearance the same.

didn't you get the memo? marketing did their in-house survey of non-motorcyclists and they said that they like flashy bodywork and bold, edgy graphics.

And it has a linkage shock! Instead of the hard to get right, direct-action variety.

Standard switch gear. Yeah, I think the FZ07 was somebody's idea of a "go wild" styling exercise and somebody upstairs didn't bang a few knuckles for making some really bone-headed choices. Just to be "different". Different isn't good unless it's better!

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Assuming the parts aren't made so cheap to be horrible, a USD (upside down) is stiffer than an RSU. Also a 41mm USD will have a ~50mm mounting diameter so you'll need different triple clamps. I can guarantee you the innards will be lousy. If you want to do a USD then just find your nearest R6/R1 and have at it.

In many markets 125cc is not only the mandated first bike but also the biggest people will buy. So it makes some sense to make it has cosmetically fancy as they can in order to entice especially new customers. I mean which would you choose? MT125 or Ninja or CB 125/250?

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

that skinny rear wheel would be a good acquisition

-HowWorkClutch

Archived