The MT-07 Forum

UCLEAR HD Speakers

jake

fooschnickens

Most of these benefit greatly from an amplifier as the one built into your phone/mp3 player often isn't enough to drive them properly.

Pretty much every review I've seen of similar sets say the same thing. You can get headphone amps for super cheap, and they'll even liven up normal headphones as well so they can work double duty.

• Premium Member
Most of these benefit greatly from an amplifier as the one built into your phone/mp3 player often isn't enough to drive them properly.  
Pretty much every review I've seen of similar sets say the same thing. You can get headphone amps for super cheap, and they'll even liven up normal headphones as well so they can work double duty.
Note: The UCLEAR HD speakers ARE NOT compatible with UCLEAR controller units. They are meant to plug directly into your phone and mount in any helmet. 

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Global Moderator

I can't comment on the Uclears but I have fabricated speakers in my helmet and am pretty happy with them. 

I had a Bang & Olufsen Form 2 On-Ear Headphones but the strap broke in two. So I took out the speakers and fabricated them in my helmet and connect it directly to my iPhone so that I can listen to my tunes.

The only problem was that I couldn't skip songs and adjust the volume. I first solved with a bluetooth remote but it died so I ordered a Satechi Bluetooth Media Button which I am going to mount on the bike.

review-of-headphones-by-bang-and-olufsen.jpg

• Premium Member

Update.... I was able to move the speakers in an optimal place for me and over all I'm happy with them.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member
I'm looking at grabbing some Sena 20S' soon for my RF1200. I'll report back when it happens.
Not the easiest install but it can be done in a way where your emergency cheek tabs are still useful. I have a 20s on my RF1200. 20s is an investment but its worth it imo. 

I'm looking at grabbing some Sena 20S' soon for my RF1200. I'll report back when it happens.
Not the easiest install but it can be done in a way where your emergency cheek tabs are still useful. I have a 20s on my RF1200. 20s is an investment but its worth it imo.
That was one of the parts I was curious about. If you get bored and would like to show us how you did yours - that would be a solid contribution :) 

• Global Moderator

I would love to see a how to on this. I want to get a Bluetooth speaker/intercom but am not sure how difficult the install would be. You could also win a$100 Revzilla gift card if you have the best how to.

So I installed my 20S today and it was a little bit of a pain, but nothing that isn't doable. The sound is much better than I thought it would be and the system itself is much more intricate than I imagined! Loving it so far, this weekend I have a fair bit of riding to do and will give a full review.

I will note that I got a terrible buzzing a few times while I was messing with the volume. I did a factory reset and haven't recreated the issue since. Customer Service was pretty on point, emailed me instructions and everything. They also stated they wont hesitate to replace the unit if it becomes an issue.

fooschnickens

The hardest part about doing a Sena install is doing it on a helmet that doesn't have provisions for speakers already molded in. My GT-Air had pockets that fit the speakers perfectly, and the Sena came with little foam risers that would let you get them closer to your ears without having them rub all the time. Sound quality isn't like earbuds, but it's nice being able to also hear what's around me pretty well.

I didn't have any issues getting mine mounted around the cheek pads so they still come out easily. Just get everything lined up properly so none of the clips are near the bracket and you're good to go. Then it's just a matter of running the wiring under the padding and taping the excess in place. Whole install took me maybe 15 minutes start to finish. the hardest part is figuring out which mic to use since you have three to choose from with the 20S (small lav, standard boom, remote mounted boom). I went with the small lav and it works great, people can't even tell I'm on the bike and voice commands are almost always right on the money.

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
I can't comment on the Uclears but I have fabricated speakers in my helmet and am pretty happy with them.  
I had a Bang & Olufsen Form 2 On-Ear Headphones but the strap broke in two. So I took out the speakers and fabricated them in my helmet and connect it directly to my iPhone so that I can listen to my tunes.

The only problem was that I couldn't skip songs and adjust the volume. I first solved with a bluetooth remote but it died so I ordered a Satechi Bluetooth Media Button which I am going to mount on the bike.

Thanks for the tip @Guru - I picked up the Satechi Media button last week. It is mounted on the base of the clutch side mirror post and angled down and inward to align with my thumb. I can easily pause, track fwd/back, and control volume without taking my hand off the grip. No problem operating it with my gloves.  
Alternate mounting spot was on the top of the black tank center piece (opposite the bottom bolt). I think it would look better, but I would have to let go with one of my hands to use it.

I use the uclear headphones with my uclear unit. I really like this set up and wearing earphones in my helmet is not uncomfortable.

Archived