The MT-07 Forum

Shifting Noise question

Guest unknown

Guest unknown

Just a quick question for the other owners here:
When you shift from 2-3,3-4, or 4-5 does your transmission make a loud noise? I'd describe it as a "thwack" or "bang". It is audible over the road/wind noise and it doesn't always do it either.

The shifting is pretty loud on mine from 2-3. 3-4 after that I can't hear anything but I'm deaf in one ear so maybe it does but I can't hear it.

2015 Matte Metallic Grey FZ-07

missourifz07

I noticed when I am high in the rpms and I do a fast shift it makes a much louder sound. And sometimes, rarely, in the low revs it will "thwack" as well. I was a little concerned as well. Glad you brought it up because I am pretty clueless about the issue.

• Premium Member

Has anyone changed their oil yet? Perhaps it has something to do with the oil it shipped with.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

• Global Moderator

The bike come with break in oil from factory. I went in for service last week. They changed the oil and shifting definitely improved. Smoother although I noticed that Yamaha transmission are a bit clunky compared to some other brands.

Guru I also noticed that the transmission is a little more clunky than my last Honda.

But honestly that doesn't bother me much.

• Global Moderator

Also check the chain slack. They tend to go stretch a lot on new bikes. adjusting it makes a big difference too.

Every bike has a sweet spot in it's linkage and chain adjustments. Yamaha's sweet spot is just a little more narrow. Did I put that nice enough??

• Premium Member
The bike come with break in oil from factory. I went in for service last week. They changed the oil and shifting definitely improved. Smoother although I noticed that Yamaha transmission are a bit clunky compared to some other brands.
Yeah that's what I figured. The linkage may just be a little loud but it sounds like it improves after an oil change.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

• Global Moderator

I think the whole service improved the bike. The combination of fresh oil/filer, the chain adjustment and whatever else they do. My chain was really loose. They also increased the idle with 100 rpms. The bike felt better and more solid when I picked it up. It also feels better riding at lower rpms.

My bike is a little noise-eerr shifting than my last honda, seems like I use more pressure on the lever as well BUT the shift linkage set-up is way different so its hard to compare my honda to this yamaha. If I shift way late it seems a little noisier too. And if I drop down 2 gears to pass , the second downshift is a "thwack" and the first downshift is more "pok".

Hope this helps.

RRokay Raggie

Guest montana07

Well it seems consistent across bikes, mine has a bit of a "twack" as well. I haven't really been paying that close attention to it, but it almost seems to have gotten worse in the last 150 miles or so, I'm due for the first service Friday, I'll report back and let you know if I notice a difference.

Killafornia

I get a "hell yeah" sound on my bike every time I change gears.lol I noticed this too but I didn't see it as a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best transmission are from Suzuki. Didn't owned any Honda. Except when shitfing on 1 when the engine isn't up to temperature, i doesn't hear any transmission's sound. Never did even during break-in period. 

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

I find that if im deliberate but gentle i pretty much dont hear it at all, super smooth. I was hearing a pop from 3rd to 4th that im gonna ask about/ see if goes away after first service, but when i started paying attention to it i found i could shift without it doing it

I'll probably be due for first service next week, so I will report back to see if anything changes.

2015 Matte Metallic Grey FZ-07

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I have noticed a loud clunk when downshifting sometimes. It does concern me but after reading the other comments I'm hoping that after its first service it will quiet down.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• 10 months later...

I noticed the shifting on my bike changed about 4000 kms. It seems noisier and harder to shift. Really noticeable when cold. Changing oil again made no difference. Anyone else have these symptoms?

Best transmission are from Suzuki. Didn't owned any Honda. Except when shetfing on 1 when the engine isn't up to temperature, i doesn't hear any transmission's sound. Never did even during break-in period.
I have to agree with you on that. My Suzuki never clunked when shifting. Although, I kind of like the clunk. Let's me know the gear is fully engaged, I've had the Suzuki pop down a gear several times due to not fully engaging.

• Premium Member

For me the shifting is a tad clunky a few times when bike is cold but goes away after bike is all warmed up...my shifting is done around 6.5k rpms during normal riding but when it's time to play I'm shifting around 8.5k....

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Guest Ralph

Mine goes into 1st with a bit of a clunk but changes smooth and quiet after that,
check clutch and chain adjustment, both can cause a noisy shift.

bmwpowere36m3
Mine goes into 1st with a bit of a clunk but changes smooth and quiet after that, check clutch and chain adjustment, both can cause a noisy shift.
Every bike I've had was like that... especially when the engine/oil is cold (thick oil causing additional drag on clutch plates) and shifting into 1st while stopped (bike lurches forward a little and clunks into gear).

Guest Ralph

Dont want to try and teach granny to suck eggs but we are all blipping the throttle on
down changes to match the revs to gear box speed I take it.

Archived