The MT-07 Forum

Is anybody considering a headlight bulb upgrade?

Guru

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Gregjet for all info. Currently, mine is installed without forwarding the headlamp assembly, but it could be interesting for other to do that instead of buffing the heatsink!

Thanks Phicurious. I've search a lot before finding this... But I think it's the most interesting LED bulb on the market right now. It' more expensive than other older style but, you got nothing for nothing :)

Hope this could help someone else! I'm really impatient to get out my bike and try it on the road, but there is a lot of snow outdoor.... The waiting time is really boring!!!

• Premium Member
Thank you Gregjet for all info. Currently, mine is installed without forwarding the headlamp assembly, but it could be interesting for other to do that instead of buffing the heatsink! 
Thanks Phicurious. I've search a lot before finding this... But I think it's the most interesting LED bulb on the market right now. It' more expensive than other older style but, you got nothing for nothing :)

Hope this could help someone else! I'm really impatient to get out my bike and try it on the road, but there is a lot of snow outdoor.... The waiting time is really boring!!!
And they're not even that expensive compared to other LEDs. I'm finding them for ~100 USD a pair. Really considering going this route on my street triple, but I need to measure inside the headlight cases to see if the longer bulbs will fit.

A couple in a street triple would just about perfect. That's how lights should be. Interesting that the bike that used to once have amongst the worst lights on a motorcycle , now has amongst the best.
A looooooong time ago. Joseph Lucas the man who invented darkness...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

And they're not even that expensive compared to other LEDs. I'm finding them for ~100 USD a pair. Really considering going this route on my street triple, but I need to measure inside the headlight cases to see if the longer bulbs will fit.

@phicurious86, where are you looking? I searched on ebay and wasn't sure which one was the right one, don't want to end up paying for a fake or older version...

bmwpowere36m3

I'd be willing to go half with someone else, as well... I just don't see a "legitimate" kit... just the typical eBay no-name LED or HID kits.

• Premium Member
@phicurious86 , where are you looking? I searched on ebay and wasn't sure which one was the right one, don't want to end up paying for a fake or older version...
This: http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Generation-Extremely-Headlights/dp/B018SYK6GW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41xWEj3fZ0L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=11T69KA80MNRV0ZP97S4

and this: http://www.amazon.com/SiriusLED-Extreme-Bright-Philips-Conversion/dp/B018VNIR7U/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1455134291&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=phillips+zes+led

• Global Moderator
So is the cyclops 3800 LUMEN H4 LED HEADLIGHT BULB a complete plug N play? I just want a LED that's I don't have to mod or cut or move anything.

It is completely plug and play. Some have trimmed the rubber boot but I did not do that. I have been very happy with it.

So is the cyclops 3800 LUMEN H4 LED HEADLIGHT BULB a complete plug N play? I just want a LED that's I don't have to mod or cut or move anything.
It is completely plug and play. Some have trimmed the rubber boot but I did not do that. I have been very happy with it.
Awesome! Thank you for that info, I appreciate it. 
cheers

Actually that's a H7 not a H4 but the assembly is the same.
I think the hyperlink just says H7, when you click it it says H4 multiple times 

bmwpowere36m3

That's not the one being discussed here, actually looks like a cyclops clone. Fan cooled and not seeing the luxeon LEDs.

• Premium Member
That's not the one being discussed here, actually looks like a cyclops clone. Fan cooled and not seeing the luxeon LEDs.
True. The OP was looking into a different light. OPT7 seems like a decent brand with good quality. I installed an LED light kit from them previously and it turned out very nice. This bulb setup does look similar to the Cyclops, has slightly less lumens but longer life span supposedly. I just got it in so I'll try to post some pics after installation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
@biggaudi How do you like the OPT7?
So I think it is pretty nice! As someone had mentioned prior, the design is similar to the Cyclops. The product looks and feels like good quality. Installation is simple, plug and play. Definitely gives off more light. It is bright but also has more of a flood effect IMO. Here are some pictures. Sorry for the poor quality of my phone's camera.

Stock light: low then high beam

9426243a0cd20720b03c50a37dab7cef.jpg
523a5adc88faecdd66d9a0138d66ff47.jpg

OPT 7: LOW then high. Notice how much more of the garage is illuminated.

16277eea63f7eb60f8fab6cde4a72ca2.jpg
e14bd755738064bed3e2ff0a4748be11.jpg

Some more pics

ae5b4bf8bff67c35a84e9cd00af768b7.jpgee6eccceb48a42b412f1d206d7776f27.jpg
7c1b9c24b459ee8e026c901254aed4dc.jpg

The fan unit on the light turns on immediately though you can't hear it while the bike is running (at least not with an aftermarket exhaust). I feel it was money well spent and gives noticeable more visibility at night.

Made them. The top ones are just a strip of aluminium. The bottom was more complicated. It is a bent piece of plate aluminium with an extra ledge piece to emulate the original mount.
Here is the mount during construction:
DSCN0863.jpg

Here is the mounted headlight during fitting:
DSCN0865.jpg
What's the thickness of that plate? Was it easy to bend? I need to make one to raise my low beam to a decent position.  

Plate is 5mm for the bottom and a piece of 10mm for the block. Easy to bend if you have a VERY strong vice and a rock hammer and a touch of the vicious finesse.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

@biggaudi do you have a pic of it in the street? Wanna see what the coverage on the road looks like. And did you have to adjust the height?

Archived