The MT-07 Forum

Handle bars not secure

No Hater

• Premium Member

I got the bike about 6 weeks ago. Today I noticed the that the handle bar bracket was not quite secure and seated to the top of the forks. They actually move back and forth a bit. I looked at the two bolts that secure it and they both seem to have holes where cotter pins would go.

Can any of you take a peek and look to see if you have pins in your's?

Anyway, I cant post pics on here being at work and all, although I could upload a youtube vid.

I tried to tighten the bolts although they are super tight and it feels as though a washer or something is missing and I'd rather not strip them.

I posted a pic of the top of the fork where the handl bars bracket doesnt seat and then another where the cotter pin goes....then took a short video to demonstrate the play.

Am I safe to simply tighting these down or is someting missing like a washer?  I feel like the dealer didnt secure them correctly. Ive never seen OEM place bolts on something set up for cotter pins without requiring them.

Any input?
[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYMVPT4_j_o&feature=youtu.be]

bmwpowere36m3

I might be wrong, but I thought the OE handlebar mounts are rubber isolated (from the triple clamp).... as such allow for "some" play. Your seems like a bit.

• Premium Member
I might be wrong, but I thought the OE handlebar mounts are rubber isolated (from the triple clamp).... as such allow for "some" play. Your seems like a bit.
I can understand some movement to get rid of some vibration but, I certainly dont think they should be moving back and forth that much.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I went out and looked at mine and there is a small gap like you have in the first picture. I'm not sure what your second picture is of but I held the bars like you did and I have a very slight amount of play but not as much as you show in your vid.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Mine also look like your pics but barely any movement.  Are the 3 pinch bolts on the upper bracket all tight?  The upper bracket holds the fork caps and your handlebar holder. There is a pinch bolt on the left side and right side of the upper bracket and another in the center of the bracket.

• Premium Member

Im wondering if everyone has cotter pins in the bolts holding the bracket on.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker
Im wondering if everyone has cotter pins in the bolts holding the bracket on.
The bolts appear to have a hole or indentation like your bike but no cotter pin.

I got the bike about 6 weeks ago. Today I noticed the that the handle bar bracket was not quite secure and seated to the top of the forks. They actually move back and forth a bit. I looked at the two bolts that secure it and they both seem to have holes where cotter pins would go.  
Can any of you take a peek and look to see if you have pins in your's?

Anyway, I cant post pics on here being at work and all, although I could upload a youtube vid.

I tried to tighten the bolts although they are super tight and it feels as though a washer or something is missing and I'd rather not strip them.

I posted a pic of the top of the fork where the handl bars bracket doesnt seat and then another where the cotter pin goes....then took a short video to demonstrate the play.

Am I safe to simply tighting these down or is someting missing like a washer?  I feel like the dealer didnt secure them correctly. Ive never seen OEM place bolts on something set up for cotter pins without requiring them.

I have the same issue with my handlebars and they move about as much as your does. I just noticed it a week ago. I was wondering same thing about mine. 

• Premium Member

If I use more than normal force to rock the bars forwards and back on my FZ-07 they'll move too, but they still feel solid like they're rubber mounted, not like they're loose. Mine can move almost as much as yours.

According to the parts manual there aren't any cotter pins in the riser studs. Maybe seeing what parts are supposed to be there will help:

[attachment id=294" thumbnail="1]

No cotter pins on mine, and my bars will move if you torque them with enough force.
Rubber mounts work like that.

Those rubber mounts also likely have a metal bushing down the middle. The threaded stud from the bar mount clamp goes thru the bushing and the nut tightens up on them instead of crushing the rubber. That's why there's a space showing underneath.

Remove the bars and you'll see.

• Premium Member
If I use more than normal force to rock the bars forwards and back on my FZ-07 they'll move too, but they still feel solid like they're rubber mounted, not like they're loose. Mine can move almost as much as yours. 
According to the parts manual there aren't any cotter pins in the riser studs. Maybe seeing what parts are supposed to be there will help:

Thanks for the IPB, that definitely helps. I get the design feature of having them rubber mounted but, I guess its just awkward to me to have forward and aft movement of the bars.

For the record, im gonna put some cotter pins in the bolts....it just makes sense.

Just had a look at mine and yes they'll move pretty much like that if I tug on them .

No pins thru the holes though. In fact, I've not enough of the hole showing to put a cotter, or even a clevis pin thru the right side stud. (fork is locked and can't see the left)

Just put a drop of blue Loctite on the threads if it bothers you. I don't see those nuts coming off regardless. Especially after you saying they are really tight.

Archived